- Mac users have a couple of file formats that are incompatible with the Windows system. Most common files are .pages and .numbers format the equivalent of .docx and .xlsx .
- If you are on a Windows computer and have received a .pages files you can: convert it to pdf and view it, use iCloud to upload the file, and edit it online or rename to .zip and see the contents.
- One of the best ways to view and edit pdf files that are cross-compatible with anything is through Adobe Reader. Learn more about it in our Adobe Acrobat Reader section.
- So many file types are out there. Figure out what they are and how to use them by going to our File Opener How To Hub on the site.
When it comes to operating systems, some people prefer using Windows while others lean more on Apple‘s OS. The part that raises problems for users is that Mac and Windows users often need to collaborate. Unfortunately Apple .pages files do not work on Windows PCs.
If you’re struggling with the same problem, in this article we’ll show you how to open the .pages files in Windows.
Open Apple files in Windows
Convert .pages to .pdf and use Adobe Reader
Take your Apple file and convert in a .pdf format. Then use the best pdf viewer, Adobe Reader, to open the newly converted file and read the contents. There are a number of online tools available that can make the document conversion. The best way would be to visit icloud.com and create and login with an Apple ID. Select Pages icon from the main screen.
On the top bar, select the Upload icon and choose the file from your computer. Open the file.
In the top bar again, look for the settings icon and select Download a Copy. You will be presented with a couple of options. Choose PDF. A pdf file will be downloaded to your computer now. Open it and view the contents.
Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed.
View contents by changing extension to .zip
To use an Apple file or a .pages file, all you have to do is copy it on your Windows computer or laptop and if you want to remove it from your USB key, generate a copy in case anything goes wrong. Now that you have the .pages file on your PC, you can just change the extension of the file into a .zip extension.
Note: In order to change the extension, you must have them enabled. If you don’t have them enabled, you just go to View and check the File name extensions checkbox.
After changing the extension to .zip all you have to do is open it with an archive opening application. Now that it is open, you just open the .jpg files and are able to see the content of the .pages file. This method allows you to open a file and view its content, but in order to modify the file, you need to use a converter and change the .pages file into a .docx and insert the newly converted file into Microsoft Word.
This is the most common solution we have for opening Apple files on Windows PCs. If you have any other solutions, please don’t hesitate to list them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about apple files
- How do you open a Pages file on a PC?
You could use icloud.com to upload the .pages file and edit in the browser. Don’t fancy creating another account, check our article for more ways to open .pages files.
- How do I convert a Pages file to PDF?
If you can edit it with the Pages application choose File, then Export To, and select the pdf file format. Otherwise use conversion software.
- Why can’t I open my pages document?
Make sure you are using the latest version of Pages from the Mac App Store. Otherwise, probably the format is changed and you can use Microsoft Word. Importing the file into Google Drive or iCloud might do the trick.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.