- Many online games are better off played on ultrawide monitors or multi-monitor setups.
- This guide will show you how you can launch your games on the secondary monitor by default.
- For more helpful guides like this one, check out our Steam Guides Hub.
- Dedicated gamers might also like to check out our Gaming page.
Multi-monitor setups are very common nowadays, especially when you are an avid gamer.
These can sometimes replace the need to buy ultra-wide and curved monitors, and they also allow you to multitask while gaming.
However, whenever you launch a game, the default setting is to make it appear on your primary monitor.
If for some reason you want to make your games launch on your other monitors, then all you need to do is follow the steps written in the guide below.
How do I make my games open on a different monitor?
1. Use a dedicated multi-monitor management tool
Before proceeding with any of the solutions and workarounds listed in this article, the first thing you should consider is the use of a dedicated multi-monitor management tool.
These tools usually allow you to perform all manner of desktop enhancements and modifications in a fast and simple manner.
In the case at hand, playing your games on other monitors other than your primary one can be easily achieved with DisplayFusion.
This software tool is extremely lightweight multi-monitor management tools that will allow you to increase your productivity and the number of things you can do when using your setup.
Here are some of the perks of using DisplayFusion:
- Create customizable hotkeys
- Enable multi-monitor taskbars
- Enable multi-monitor title bar buttons.
- Its has a trial version that lasts indefinitely
- Customize the way your setup displays your favorite wallpaper
⇒Check out our DisplayFusion Review for more information.
2. How to make a Steam game open on a different monitor
Besides using dedicated multi-monitor software tools, there are also tricks and workarounds that you can use to make games run on your secondary monitors.
Here are just a few of the things that you can try if you need to run Steam titles on a secondary monitor:
- Run the game in Windowed mode and drag it to the screen you want.
- Note: If you don’t know how to run Steam games in Windowed mode, follow the steps from this in-depth guide.
- Set the second monitor as a primary monitor in Windows
- Note: If your second monitor is not detected, try the troubleshooting steps from this article.
- Run the game in borderless windowed mode and use Shift+Win+Arrow Right to move it to the right.
- Note: This method might leave a gap the size of your taskbar on the secondary monitor.
- Lastly, some games allow you to choose a monitor when in fullscreen or borderless windowed
Since Counter-Strike; Global Offensive is exclusively a Steam game, all of the methods presented above will work just as well with CS: GO.
Unlike Steam games, you can easily switch Fortnite from fullscreen to windowed mode from the video settings. Once you’ve done that, simply mode the windows to a second monitor.
However, if you want to play Fortnite in fullscreen mode you secondary monitor, your only choice is to set the second monitor as a primary monitor in Windows.
5. How to make Overwatch open on a different monitor
Similarly to the first two solutions, this Blizzard title can also be launched on a secondary monitor if you use the following two methods:
- Play Overwatch it in Windowed or Borderless Windowed mode and simply drag it to the secondary screen.
- Turn your secondary screen into a primary screen and set it as a priority from when launching Overwatch.
By following the right steps or by using the right tools, you should be able to play your favorite games from your secondary monitor, while still using the primary one to perform other tasks.
Let us know which of the methods did you use by leaving us a message in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about multi-monitor setups
- Where are multi-monitor setups used in?
Multi-monitor setups are mostly used in gaming since users get a better field of vision which can be extremely important during online matches. If you want a PC that thrives in such situations, check out this list of the best PCs for multi-monitor use.
- Is it difficult to have a multi-monitor setup?
It all depends on what you plan to do. However, multi-monitor management software can always make things a whole lot easier.
- Is multi-monitor software expensive?
Not at all, in fact, there are several ways you can get DisplayFusion at a bargain price.