- HEIC files are a proprietary file format used to store image files on mobile devices.
- The format was first invented for Apple phones but later expanded to other areas as well.
- Adobe Lightroom along with other image viewers are perfectly capable of opening and even editing HEIC files.
- For more great guide slike this one, visit our dedicated File Opener page.
You can open HEIC files on Windows 10 using these 5 methods:
- Use Adobe Lightroom
- Add HEIC image extensions to Windows
- Check out CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
- Preview HEIC images in Dropbox
- Open HEIC images with File Viewer Plus
- Open HEIC images with Apowersoft Photo Viewer
HEIC, otherwise HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format), is a new image file format that Apple announced when it released the iOS 11 platform in 2017. Apple established this new format to replace JPEG on its phones. Windows hasn’t fully embraced the new Apple picture format as of yet, so its native apps don’t fully support HEIC by default.
Nevertheless, you can still open HEIC pictures within Windows with some additional software. This is how you can open HEIC files on Windows without converting them to alternative formats.
How do I open HEIC files on Windows PC?
1. Use Adobe Lightroom that easily opens HEIC files
Since HEIC files are so proprietary, it goes without saying that common users won’t be able to open them unless they meet certain requirements. As such, the fastest way you can access HEIC files is to simply have an image viewer that supports the format.
All you need to do is simply designate Adobe Lightroom as your PC’s default image viewer, and you’re all set. Here’s how you can do that:
- Download Adobe Lightroom free
- You need to register an Adobe account
- Install it on your PC
- Press Start
- Go to Settings
- Select Apps
- Go to the Default Apps menu
- Under Photo viewer, select Adobe Lightroom as the default program
- Try opening a HEIC file now
Now that you have Adobe Lightroom installed, not only will you get an image viewer that can handle HEIC files, but you’ll also have one of the world’s best image editors too.
2. Add HEIC Image Extensions to Windows
If you really need to open HEIC pictures with Win 10’s default Photos app, check out the HEIC Image Extensions. That installs the codecs required to open the new image format in Photos.
3. Check out CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
CopyTrans HEIC is a Windows plug-in that enables you to open HEIC images in Windows 10, 8, and 7. With this software installed, you can open HEIC pictures with the native Windows Photos Viewer by double-clicking them in File Explorer.
Furthermore, the software extends support for the format to MS Office applications so that you can insert HEIC images in Word and Excel documents or PowerPoint presentations.
All you really need to do is install CopyTrans HEIC. Click the Download button on the CopyTrans HEIC webpage to save the software’s setup wizard. Then open the installer to add the software to Windows, and hey presto, you can open HEIC files within the platform’s native apps!
3. Preview HEIC Images in Dropbox
You don’t necessarily need to open HEICs with photo viewers. Dropbox is one of the cloud storage services that supports Apple’s new file format. So Dropbox users can upload HEIC images from Apple iOS 11 devices and preview them in their Windows browsers.
When you’ve uploaded the file to Dropbox, select the image and click its eye icon to preview it.
4. Open HEIC images with File Viewer Plus
Some third-party software for Windows supports the HEIC format. File Viewer Plus is universal file opener software with which you can open HEIC photos. FVP is a little more than a file viewer as it includes a few editing options to adjust photos with. The full software version is currently retailing at a discounted $29.95.
- You can add File Viewer Plus to Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 by clicking Free Trial on the software’s website.
- Open the FVP setup wizard to install the software.
- When you’ve installed FVP, open the software’s window.
- Click File > Open to select the HEIC file.
- After opening the file, you can click Edit tab to select further editing options for resizing and adjusting images and adding effects to them.
5. Open HEIC Images With Apowersoft Photo Viewer
Apowersoft Photo Viewer is a third-party photo viewer that supports the HEIC file format. The software is compatible with Windows 10, 8, and 7. You can install it by clicking the Download Desktop Version button on the software’s website.
After installing the software with its setup wizard, click the … button at the top of the Apowersoft Photo Viewer window; and select the Open option. Then you can choose a HEIC image to open within the software.
So that’s how you can add HEIC support to Windows or open the files with alternative third-party software. Now you can transfer HEIC photos from your Apple devices straight to Windows without needing any file converter software.
FAQ: Learn more about HEIC files
- What is a HEIC file?
A HEIC file is a data container that encompasses one or more images saved in the High-Efficiency Image Format (HEIF), a file format.
- Where are HEIC files used?
HEIC files are most commonly used to store photos on mobile devices, both Android and iOS.
- How do I open HEIC files in Windows 10?
Unfortunately, all solutions that will allow you to open HEIC files in Windows 10 involve downloading some extra third-party photo viewers.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in December 2018 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.