Keynote is the presentation software included with Apple’s office suite. The application is Apple’s alternative to MS PowerPoint. However, Windows doesn’t support Keynote’s KEY file format.
Consequently, there is hardly any Windows software compatible with that format type. This doesn’t mean you can’t open Keynote presentations in Windows, but most users convert them to a compatible format.
Open KEY files on PC
Open Key files with FileViewer Plus (recommended)
Important Update: FileViewer Plus 3 dropped the support for .key files because of the limited support for .key format in the previous software version. We suggest you scroll down to the next solutions.
We will track the next updates from the software producer in order to update this article in case there are some news on .key support.
The first software that we would highly recommend is FileViewer Plus. This tool can open and display a multitude of file formats (over 300).
Of course, KEY files are also included and you will be able to open them whithout any problems. You will be able to edit your files as the software has image, text and many other editor modes.
This tool is fully compatible with Windows but, as most of our readers are using Windows 7/8.1/10, there will not be any problems while running this program on your system.
We suggest you try this tool (7-day trial) from the official webpage and let us know in the comments if it opens your KEY files.
Open KEYs With File Viewer Lite
There are, however, a few universal file opener programs that open loads of format types. The File Viewer Lite software opens more than 150 format types, and that includes Keynote’s KEY files!
You can open the Keynote presentations with that software, but it doesn’t include any editing options. File Viewer Lite is also freeware that’s compatible with Windows platforms from XP up.
You can check out File Viewer Lite on this website page. Press the Download Now button there to save the software‘s setup wizard, and then open its installer.
If the KEY presentation is on a Mac, save it to a USB flash drive; and move the file to a Windows folder.
File Viewer Lite supports drag and drop so that you can drag Keynote files from File Explorer (or the desktop) onto the software‘s window to open them in FVL.
*File Viewer Lite only supports Keynote ’09 documents that include a QuickLook preview.
Open Keynote files in iCloud
To open and edit a Keynote presentation with more Windows software, you’ll probably need to convert its format type. However, you can still edit KEY presentations in Windows with Apple’s iCloud.
The iCloud is a range of cloud-based services that includes the Keynote, Pages and Numbers web apps. As such, you can set up an iCloud account and open and edit a KEY file in a Windows browser.
This is how you can open a KEY file in the Keynote web app.
- First, open this page and click the Create yours now link to set up an Apple ID.
- Add the iCloud software to Windows from this website page. Click the Download button to save iCloud for Windows‘ setup wizard to a folder, and then open the installer to install the software.
- Open the iCloud for Windows software, and enter your Apple ID to sign in.
- Select the iCloud Drive check box, and press the Apply button. You can also select the Photos, Mail and Bookmarks options.
- Now you’re good to go with the Keynote web app. Enter your Apple ID at the iCloud.com sign in page.
- Click the Keynote icon to open the web app.
- Click the gear button at the top of Keynote to open a menu. Select the Upload Presentation option on that menu.
- Browse to the folder that includes the Keynote file, select it and press the Open button to open the Keynote presentation in the web app.
Convert KEYs to PPT or PDF Format
Converting files to alternative formats is the usual way to open documents, presentations and images that Windows doesn’t widely support. Of course, you’re not exactly opening a KEY file by changing its format.
However, converting presentation and text document files to alternative formats doesn’t usually have much impact on their formatting.
If you need to edit a Keynote file, PowerPoint‘s PPT is probably the best format to convert it to as that’s more widely supported by Windows presentation applications.
PDF is one of the best universal file formats, but most PDF viewer software doesn’t include editing options. You can convert KEY files to both PPT and PDF formats with the ZAMZAR web tool as follows.
- First, click here to open ZAMZAR’s KEY to PPT page.
- Press the Choose Files button, and then select a KEY presentation to convert to PPT.
- Select the PPT format type from the Convert files to drop-down menu.
- Enter an email address to send the PPT file to.
- Press the Convert button.
- Open your ZAMZAR email, which will include a link to the PPT file. Then you can save the presentation to your hard drive.
- Open this page to convert KEY files to PDFs with ZAMZAR. Converting them to Portable Document Format is almost entirely the same, except that you select PDF from the Convert files to drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, you can open the Keynote presentation in PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat or other slideshow and PDF software.
Convert the Presentation to ZIP Format
ZIP is a compressed archive format that you can convert KEYs to. You can preview the contents of a Keynote presentation by converting KEY files to ZIP format.
This is how to preview a Keynote presentation in ZIP format.
- First, click the File Explorer button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Open the folder that includes the Keynote presentation.
- Select the File name extensions option on the View tab if it’s not already selected. Then the Keynote file title should include KEY at the end of it.
- Right-click the KEY file and select Rename.
- Replace the KEY format at the end of the file title with ZIP. You can keep the rest of the title exactly the same.
- A Rename dialog box window will then open. Press the Yes button to alter the filename’s extension.
- The former KEY file will now be a compressed ZIP. Click the Keynote ZIP to open its content.
- Open the ZIP’s Picture folder. That includes images for all the presentation’s slides.
- Now you can open each presentation slide in image viewer software.
- The ZIP might also include a Preview file that you can double-click to open a Keynote presentation preview.
So you can open the KEY presentation format in Windows with the Keynote web app or File Viewer Lite.
Alternatively, convert the presentations to the PDF or PPT formats to ensure compatibility with Windows software.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to open .cue files in windows 10
- How to open CGI files on PC
- How to open multiple Excel windows at the same time