- Opera GX is the world's first browser designed specifically for gamers.
- It is one of the most secure browsers with features that prevent DLL hijacking of downloads and other privacy protection functions.
- Users have reported issues with Opera GX not downloading files properly.
- Make sure you regularly update your browser to avoid running into any issues or bugs.
Opera GX gaming browser has taken the internet by storm. This browser is built specifically for gamers with features to optimize in-browser gaming.
With all the perks and features of the original Opera browser, Opera GX adds a cyberpunk feel to surfing the web with its techy interface. It’s no surprise that this browser has become so popular.
However, some users have reported issues when trying to download files in Opera GX. This guide will offer several solutions to solve this problem.
Is Opera GX secure?
Opera GX is one of the safest browsers out there. It’s based on the Chromium engine so it operates similarly to other popular browsers. However, Opera GX has advanced security features to protect user privacy and data.
Opera GX has Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL) hijacking prevention for downloads and files. It also protects your preferences, homepage, and extensions from malicious activity.
Like the original Opera browser, Opera GX also has a built-in ad-blocker and unlimited VPN that encrypts user data and keeps them safe while browsing. While Opera browsers have similar features, Opera GX and Opera have quite a few differences that separate them.
Use Opera GX browser for optimized and secure gaming.
How do I fix Opera GX not downloading files?
1. Check for updates
- Click the Opera GX logo in the top right corner then click on Update & Recovery.
- Opera GX will automatically check for any available updates.
- Click Update if there is an available update.
- Relaunch Opera GX.
Opera is constantly updating and improving its browsers. These updates often fix bugs and problems like downloading issues. Opera GX will usually update automatically, but if you’re running into issues, check if there are any available.
2. Disable all extensions
- Click the Opera GX logo in the top right corner then go to Extensions and select Extensions (or press Ctrl+Shift+E).
- Go through and disable all your extensions.
- Relaunch Opera GX.
Sometimes extensions can interfere with downloads. If your downloads are working then it was due to a faulty or interfering extension. After downloading files, the extensions can be enabled again.
3. Disable ad-blocker and VPN
- Click the Opera GX logo in the top right corner then select Settings (or press Alt+P).
- Under Privacy protection, disable the Block ads feature.
- In the side panel, select Privacy & security.
- Scroll down to VPN and disable it.
- Relaunch Opera GX.
Disabling the ad-blocker may solve the issue as the ad-blocker might prevent some files from downloading. The built-in VPN might also cause limitations with downloads, so try downloading files after disabling these features.
4. Check app permissions
- Click on Start and open Settings (or press Windows + I).
- Click Privacy & security.
- Under App Permissions click the Downloads folder.
- Ensure that Downloads folder access and Let apps access your downloads folder is turned on.
If Opera GX doesn’t have permission to access the downloads folder then downloads won’t work properly. Adjust the permissions accordingly.
5. Adjust site settings
- Click the Opera GX logo in the top right corner then select Settings (or press Alt + P).
- Click Privacy & security under Advanced.
- Under Security and Privacy click Site Settings.
- Scroll down to Content and expand Additional content settings.
- Open Insecure content.
- Add the URL of the website you are trying to download files from under Allowed to show insecure content.
Opera GX protects its users from content that it deems insecure so that users don’t download any malware by mistake. However, this feature may be blocking downloads from certain web pages.
Adding the website you wish to download files from will permit it to download.
5. Temporarily turn off the firewall
- Click on Start and search Windows Security then hit enter.
- Select Firewall & network protection from the side panel.
- Choose the network that relates to you.
- Toggle Microsoft Defender Firewall to off.
The firewall helps protect devices from malicious attacks, but it may also prevent downloads from the internet. Try downloading your files after disabling the firewall, but remember to turn it back on as soon as your download is finished.
We hope these solutions solved the issue of Opera GX not downloading files. If Opera GX is downloading properly, but your downloads folder is not responding, there are solutions for that issue.
Let us know in the comments below what solution worked for you.