- When it comes to comparing Opera GX vs Safari, there are some serious pros and cons to consider.
- Minimalistic Safari blends perfectly into the Apple ecosystem, but it only supports OS X.
- Instead, Opera GX is more versatile, caters to multiple platforms, and flaunts countless customization options.
- Security and privacy might have the last word, so don't be shy to take a closer look.
Owned by the same company as the older sibling Opera, GX is a more gaming-oriented version of it, so it would not be entirely wrong to think that it all comes down to the big question: Is Safari better than Opera?
Now, when comparing Opera GX vs Safari, we feel we must emphasize the fact that they target slightly different audiences.
First of all, Safari is a macOS exclusive while Opera is a cross-platform browser with suitable versions for pretty much all major architectures from Windows to Android, iOS, and of course, macOS.
Despite this (or because of it), Safari has a strong reputation and is generally labeled as the better browser especially when it comes to battery life and page rendering.
We feel this requires a closer look. So let’s dig in, shall we?
Is Safari better than Opera GX?
Apple’s staple browser, Safari is seamlessly integrated into the Apple ecosystem and it works flawlessly on macOS, respectively iOS. You don’t even need to bother installing it since it’s the default tool for browsing.
However, this is only true if you’re running on Apple devices. On Windows, it’s an entirely different story. While it had a short multi-platform run, Apple decided to make Safari a macOS exclusive back in 2012.
If you wish to download and install Safari on Windows 11, for instance, you will have to settle for an older (and yes, deprecated) version of Safari such as 5.1.7 that supports Windows.
- Open the Safari download page and click the Download button.
- Select a directory and press the Save button.
- Next, open the installer folder via the File Explorer of your Windows 11 PC.
- Double-click the SafariSetup.exe file and press Install.
- Finally, check the Open Safari after the installer exits option and hit Finish.
Needless to say, you cannot expect the same speed or functionality enhancements since it’s essentially an outdated piece of software.
On the other hand, Opera GX’s installation process is as simple as it can be, on Mac or Windows. It took no longer than a minute to install on our breezy ASUS SonicMaster notebook with Windows 11 Home, plus it started automatically.
Here’s how to install it:
- Open the Opera GX download page.
- Click the Download Opera GX button.
- Next, choose the destination for your install files and click Run as soon as you’re prompted to.
- Finally, hit the Install button and you’ll be soon ready to enjoy Opera GX.
Interface esthetics, functionality, and design
Both practical and sleek, Opera GX’s interface will definitely appeal to gamers. The dark theme with neon red highlights makes it the perfect match for your RGB lighting.
Opera GX comes with more than 20 predefined color themes to which you can add even more custom themes and joggle with primary and secondary colors, saturation, hue, and brightness to make this browser your own end to end.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Settings, then go to the Theme section.
- Click Configuration and switch the Advanced Configuration button to On.
- Here, you can use the sliders or set a HEX value to get that perfectly crisp look you always wanted.
Now, as far as the overall interface is concerned, you will immediately see the main area and the sidebar.
The latter is a super-concentrated shortcut center that allows you to quickly access extensions from the Opera Store, history, and messengers, plus it houses a ton of customization features.
Safari also boasts a sleek interface and many appreciate its minimalistic look that provides an overall airy experience without the claustrophobic feel.
However, customization options are scarcer and this is mostly because Apple likes to hold a tight grip on its environments.
In fact, the number of addons is limited, so do keep that in mind if you’re looking for a versatile, modular, and highly customizable browser. And speaking about the wolf…
➡ Customization and gaming-focused features
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Opera GX takes great pride in its fine-tuned features that caters to gamers, known as one of the most pretentious and rigorous breeds of users out there.
Safari only goes so far when it comes to customization options.
While it does not flaunt flashy options and seems keen on minimalism, it does put out a good fight, boasting some nifty features that allow it to blend irreproachably with the Apple ecosystem.
Security and privacy features
Opera GX shares a lot of privacy and security features with the Opera browser and the legacy speaks for itself. Here’s what to expect:
- Privacy and tracking protection (that prevent third parties from monitoring your online activity, collecting your data, and so on)
- DLL hijacking and homepage hijacking protection (specific to Chromium-based browsers)
- Built-in ads blocker to prevent aggressive/intrusive marketing techniques and targeted ads
- Integrated VPN with no data caps and unlimited bandwidth
Since it’s a free tool, many question Opera VPN’s safety as well as its capacities such as the impact on a network’s speed. We noticed that while choosing a sever in our proximity, the download speed did not budge.
However, we did notice a significant drop when switching to a server from a different continent, so do keep this in mind when you pick a location to connect.
Security is a big deal for tech companies and Apple does not fall short in this department. In fact, all Apple products are built with security in mind and the entire ecosystem reflects this principle graciously.
Here’s what to expect from Safari:
- Machine learning-powered Tracking Prevention to keep websites from spying on your browsing history and online searches + Privacy Report
- Fingerprint lock with rigorous defense mechanisms in place against browsing habits’ recognition
- Password and anti-phishing protection to quickly identify and flag fraudulent websites
- Apple Pay-ready for secure online payments (with the possibility to add a Touch ID or a Face IDe as part of the purchase authorization process)
We turned on Netflix and gave it a go. While we did not get that one and half hours of extra battery lifetime, we were pleased to confirm that it outlasted other browsers that received the exact same treatment.
And it is useful in more than one way. We received a notification when the battery level went under 20%.
Moreover, you can see at any point how much of your battery is left and take measures to avoid drainage and tempestuous shutdowns.
So, where does that leave us?
Minimalistic, neat, and distraction-free Safari is a great choice for Apple products. It delivers seamless synchronization across all your iOS and macOS devices and its excellent OS X compatibility enables smooth page rendering.
However, we must stress that the same elitism is also its major befall. As opposed to Opera GX, Safari:
- Has limited customization options and its extension library is capped
- No cross-platform support (it’s only suitable for OS X and does not support other platforms, Windows included)
- The proprietary infrastructure makes it not suitable to support open-source formats
- Its WebKit rendering engine makes it particularly reluctant to embrace new technologies as opposed to Blink-based browsers (Opera included)
- There is no adblocker or VPN included for privacy enhancement
When it comes to comparing Opera GX vs Safari, we can see that both browsers are strong contenders for privacy-loving netizens that don’t feel like compromising on performance.
As far as Opera GX is concerned, the only drawback we could find is that enabling all the additional features requires a bit of tweaking since they are not ready to use out of the box.
If gaming is on your mind more than anything else, we’d say that Opera GX is the perfect browser for you, on PC or Mac.
Fully customizable, privacy-focused, and resource-conscious, GX delivers the ultimate gaming experience from aesthetics to functionality.
However, if you’re keen on a minimalistic browser that blends perfectly with the Apple ecosystem solely, then Safari is probably a better option. So, what’s it gonna be?
Don’t be shy to share your choice (and maybe a bit of the motivation behind it) with us, we would love to hear you out!
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.