- Origin is a popular video game distribution platform that hosts thousands of titles.
- If you can't complete purchases on Origin, keep reading below to learn how to fix this problem.
- Bookmark our Gaming Hub for additional guides and recommendations on this topic.
- Whenever you're looking for the best software tools, our Buying Guides page might be of real help.
Amongst the most frequent errors on Origin, encountering an issue when buying something is one of the most common.
This can create a lot of stress for avid gamers who have been waiting for a specific release for some time, and even affects the casual user.
The error seems to be linked to the location from which you are trying to make the purchase, but in some cases, users have reported that the process froze out the blue.
Here is what one user had to say about this issue on the EA Answers forums:
Whoops! An error occurred. Please try again later. [ref. #Error:httpRequest ERROR]. I get this every time I try to purchase anything, or click Join Origin Access. Really want to purchase BF1, any help?
Because we understand how important it is for you to be able to download games from Origin freely, in today’s article we will explore some of the best fixes. Read on to find out more.
How can I solve the Origin buying error on Windows 10?
1. Try using the Origin Online Store and not the client
Even though this might seem like a way too simple solution, some users have had success by simply using the Origin website to buy what they wanted.
In order to do this, it is recommended that you log into your Origin account, and add the payment details inside your account settings.
This fix points to an error inside the Origin application, but it doesn’t apply to all cases. Still, it’s worth a try.
You can use any browser for this task, but we recommend trying out the Opera browser.
Some exclusive helpful features such as the built-in free VPN will guarantee your online activity and IP address stay private. This way, the purchase process should be hassle-free and prompt.
OperaGet rid of any errors when purchasing Origin games! With Opera you get to the Online Store in just a few clicks.
2. Use a VPN service to complete your payment
Some users have been successful in buying their games on Origin by installing a VPN service on their PC. This applies if your purchase is blocked due to the location of your Internet provider.
The only way to find out if this fix works, is to install a VPN, and try to purchase something from Origin. If the location is causing the problem on your side, this will resolve it.
This tool is useful not only to hide your location and allow you to access website that are otherwise blocked in your region. It also serves to add an extra layer of security to your connection, preventing online attacks.
3. Delete Origin cache files
- Right-click your taskbar and open Task Manager.
- End tasks: Origin.exe and OriginWebHelperService.exe.
- Press Win+R, type %ProgramData%/Origin , and click Enter.
- Delete everything but the folder: LocalContent
- Press Win+R, and type %AppData% thenEnter.
- Delete the Origin folder.
- Click AppData, open the Local folder, and delete Origin.
- Reboot your PC.
- Press Win+X, go to Apps and Features.
- Right-click on Origin, then Uninstall.
- Download Origin. Right-click on the installer and Run as admin.
5. Check your account status
If all of the above methods failed, and the Origin buying error is still present, then there is a pretty good chance that your account got banned for some reason.
To rectify this, see these instructions to get into contact with the Origin account department.
In this article, we explored the best methods to try if you can’t buy anything inside Origin. We hope this guide helped you troubleshoot your issue.
Please feel free to let us know if it did by using the comments section found below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once you bought a game on Origin, you need to download and install it on your computer through Origin. Otherwise, you won’t be able to play them.
To buy games or other items on Origin, you launch the game client and log in to your account. Then search for the game you want to buy and enter your account details. Alternatively, you can use the web Origin Store.
You can use Origin for free but only for a limited 7 day trial period. Once the trial period is over, you need to sign up for monthly or yearly plan if you want to continue to have access to the platform.