- Origin is a popular video game distribution platform that hosts thousands of titles to suit every gamer's preferences.
- The platform offers many additional features such as cloud game saves, achievements, cross-platform releases, and more.
- But not everything goes smoothly all the time. If you can't complete purchases on Origin, keep on reading this guide to learn how you can fix this problem.
- Bookmark our hub dedicated to browsers for additional troubleshooting guides.
Amongst the most common errors on Origin, encountering an error when buying something is one of the most common.
This can create a lot of stress for people that have been waiting for a specific release for some time, and even affects the casual user.
The error seems to be linked to the location from which you are trying to buy the game, but in some cases, users have reported that the ability to buy was suddenly stopped with no explanation.
Here is what one user had to say about this issue on the EA Answers forums:
Whoops! An error occurred. Please try again later. [ref. #Error:httpRequest ERROR]. I get this every time I try to purchase anything, or click “Join Origin Access”. Really want to purchase BF1, any help?
Because we understand how important it is for you to be able to download games from Origin freely, in today’s article we will explore some of the best fixes. Read on to find out more.
How to solve the Origin buying error on Windows 10?
1. Try using the Origin Online Store and not the client
Even though this might seem like a way too simple solution, some users have had success by simply using the Origin website to buy what they wanted.
In order to do this, it is recommended that you log into your Origin account, and add the payment details inside your account settings.
This fix points to an error inside the Origin application, but it doesn’t apply to all cases. Still, it’s worth a try.
You can use any browser for this task, but we recommend trying out UR Browser. This browser is quite similar to Chrome, but it’s more privacy-oriented since it’s not affiliated with Google.
The browser has malware, tracking, and phishing protection, and if you need extra security, there’s a built-in VPN.
2. Use a VPN service to complete your payment
Some users have had success buying their games on Origin by installing a VPN service to their PC. This applies in the case that your purchase is stopped by the location of your Internet provider.
The only way to find out if this fix works, is to install a VPN, and try to purchase something from Origin. If the location is causing the problem on your side, this will resolve it.
3. Delete Origin cache files
- Right-click your taskbar -> Task Manager.
- End tasks: Origin.exe and OriginWebHelperService.exe.
- Press Win+R -> type %ProgramData%/Origin -> Enter.
- Delete everything but the folder: LocalContent
- Press Win+R -> type %AppData% -> Enter.
- Delete the Origin folder.
- Click AppData -> open the Local folder -> delete Origin -> reboot PC.
4. Remove and reinstall the software to fix the Origin buying error
- Press Win+X -> Apps and Features.
- Click Origin -> Uninstall.
- Download Origin -> right-click installer -> Run as admin.
5. Your account might have been banned
If all of the above methods failed, and the Origin buying error is still present, then there is a pretty good chance that your account got banned for some reason.
To rectify this, visit this webpage and follow the instructions to get into contact with the Origin account department.
In this fix article, we explored the best methods to try if you can’t buy anything inside Origin. We hope this guide helped you troubleshoot your issue.
Please feel free to let us know if it did by using the comment section found below.
FAQ: Learn more about buying items on Origin
- What happens when you buy a game on Origin?
Once you bought a game on Origin, you need to download and install it on your computer through Origin. If you don’t download and install the games you bought, you won’t be able to play them.
- How do you buy things on Origin?
To buy games or other items on Origin, first launch the game client and log in to your account. Then search for the game you want to download and click on the Buy button. The payment page will then appear on the screen for you to complete the purchase.
- How can I get Origin for free?
You can use Origin for free but only for a limited 7 day trial period. Once the trial period is over, you need to sign up for monthly or yearly plan if you want to continue to have access to the platform.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.