Some users noticed an unexpected error has occurred on Origin while they were trying to download a game.
This issue seems to affect all the downloadable content on Origin, and it has caused users a lot of grief over time.
Dealing with this issue will require you to follow the steps presented in this Fix article in the order that they were written in. The methods are presented to you from the least to the most invasive.
This ensures that the most efficient method for your situation will be used to fix the issue without exposing your system to unnecessary risks. Read on to find out more.
How to fix the unexpected error has occurred issue in Origin
1. Make sure to whitelist Origin app inside Firewall and anti-virus software
If you’re using Windows Defender as your firewall, please follow these steps:
- Click on Cortana search inside your taskbar -> type Windows Defender -> open it.
- Click the option Firewall & network protection.
- Select Allow an app through firewall -> Change settings.
- Select Origin from the list.
- Allow both Private and Public for this app by ticking the boxes.
- Save the modifications by clicking the Ok button.
2. Run Origin with administrator privileges
If it doesn’t, try the next method.
3. Enable Safe Mode Downloading in Origin
- Open Origin.
- Click the Origin button -> select Application Settings.
- Inside the Diagnostics tab -> enable Safe Mode Downloading.
4. Delete the Origin temporary files
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to run the Task Manager.
- Search for Origin.exe and OriginWebHelperService.exe in the list -> click End task for both.
- Press Win+R keys -> type %ProgramData%/Origin -> hit Enter.
- Delete all the files and folders inside it except for the LocalContent folder.
- Press Win+R keys again -> type %AppData% -> press Enter.
- Inside the folder that opens -> delete the Origin folder.
- Click on the AppData from the link -> open Local folder -> delete Origin.
- Restart PC.
5. Uninstall and reinstall Origin
- Press Win+X keys -> select Apps and features.
- Search for Origin in the list -> click Uninstall.
- Download the latest Origin app -> install it to your PC.
6. Perform a Clean boot of your PC
- Click on Cortana search -> type msconfig -> press Enter.
- Click Services.
- Tick the box next to Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click the Disable all button.
- Click the Startup tab -> disable all apps.
- Restart your PC and activate each of the applications one by one to identify which is causing the issue (After you found the issue, repeat the steps in this method and activate all apps).
We hope this guide managed to help you solve the unexpected error has occurred message in Origin.
Please feel free to let us know if it did, or if you have any suggestions by using the comment section below.