- To solve the problem, delete the folders mentioned by the error message. Look for them in the Calendar tab and in the mailbox folders. Also, try to empty the Trash folder.
- If the previous solutions didn't work, create a new Outlook profile. You can also try to use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool to fix this problem and others.
- Outlook masters are a few. The rest of us have to learn the hard way. Visit our Tips & Tricks Outlook section for a lot of pieces of our minds about this topic.
- It's not funny at all when you got an Outlook problem. Fortunately, here's our Fix Outlook Hub for a plethora of solutions to this kind of problem.
One such error is the one that informs users their mailbox folders are named incorrectly:
The name of one or more of your folders includes the character / or more than 250 characters. Folders with names that include this character can’t be downloaded to your IMAP e-mail program. Please rename these folders [name of the folder].
It is worth mentioning that this error often invokes Calendar folders, therefore don’t forget to also check these folders when troubleshooting.
How can I fix incorrect mailbox name issues?
- Delete the folders mentioned by the error message (look for them in the Calendar tab and in the mailbox folders).
- Empty the Trash folder.
- If the issue hasn’t been fixed after performing the actions mentioned at steps 1 & 2, create a new Outlook profile.
As simplistic as this solution may first seem, users confirmed it worked.
This looks to have worked… Thanks for your help. The bit that worked was emptying the Trash folder
The Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool can both fix issues or share information on how to manually perform a fix yourself.
Here’s a full list of the issue this tool can fix:
- Outlook stops responding
- Outlook keeps asking for my password
- Outlook keeps saying Trying to connect… or Disconnected
- Can’t receive emails
- Shared mailboxes or shared calendars don’t work.
- I can’t sync my email
- Email app keeps asking for my password
- I can’t activate Office
- I need help setting up my Office 365 email in Outlook
- I can’t sign in
- I can’t find Outlook on the web
- I can’t install, connect, or enable CRM for Outlook
FAQ: Read more about Outlook folders
- How do you manage folders in Outlook?
In the Folder tab, click on New Folder. A new window will appear so enter a name for your folder in the Name field. At the bottom of the window, select where you want the folder to be located and click OK.
- Where are my folders in Outlook?
To see all your folders expand the Folder Pane by setting the Folder Pane view. Click View > Folder Pane and click Normal. If you can’t open the set of folders, we have an excellent guide to fix that problem.
- How do I fix Outlook name conflicts?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in July 2016 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.