Fix: One or more folders in your mailbox is named incorrectly
Microsoft Outlook is a reliable email platform, but sometimes users encounter annoying or even blocking errors when trying to access their mailbox.
One such error is the one that informs users their mailbox folders are named incorrectly:
The name of one or more of your folders includes the character “/” or more than 250 characters. Folders with names that include this character can’t be downloaded to your IMAP e-mail program. Please rename these folders [name of the folder].
It is worth mentioning that this error often invokes Calendar folders, therefore don’t forget to also check these folders when troubleshooting.
Here’s how to fix this error:
- Delete the folders mentioned by the error message (look for them in the Calendar tab and in the mailbox folders).
- Empty the Trash folder.
- If the issue hasn’t been fixed after performing the actions mentioned at steps 1 & 2, create a new Outlook profile.
As simplistic as this solution may first seem, users confirmed it worked.
This looks to have worked… Thanks for your help. The bit that worked was emptying the Trash folder
Speaking of Outlook issues, there is an interesting tool out there that promises to fix a series of Outlook and Office issues. The Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool can both fix issues or share information on how to manually perform a fix yourself.
Here’s a full list of the issue this tool can fix:
- Outlook stops responding
- Outlook keeps asking for my password
- Outlook keeps saying “Trying to connect…” or “Disconnected”
- Can’t receive emails
- Shared mailboxes or shared calendars don’t work.
- I can’t sync my email
- Email app keeps asking for my password
- I can’t activate Office
- I need help setting up my Office 365 email in Outlook
- I can’t sign in
- I can’t find Outlook on the web
- I can’t install, connect, or enable CRM for Outlook
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool to scan and fix various PC problems, such as errors, file loss, malware and hardware failure.
If you encounter other Outlook issues, check out the fix articles below:
- Fix: Outlook 2016 for Mac Freezes in OS X El Capitan
- Fix: Cannot Send Emails in Outlook
- Fix: Can’t sync AOL e-mail with Windows 10 Mail app
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]