- Need to intercept and log traffic that passes over a digital network? Then you need a packet sniffer.
- This article below showcases the best network sniffer for Windows that you can get today.
- We've included products like NetFlow Analyzer, PRTG Network Monitor, and other similar tools.
- So, if you're looking for a good sniffing tool for Windows 10, carry on reading!
A packet sniffer, also known as a network analyzer or a protocol analyzer, is a program that can intercept and log traffic that passes over a digital network.
Packet sniffers are diagnostic tools that allow network technicians to analyze the network and diagnose network problems.
In order to work, the packet sniffer needs to have access to the wireless or wired network interface on its host computer. The tool can analyze traffic from the entire network or only a small part of it.
Then the sniffer converts the analysis into a readable format, helping the network technicians to pinpoint network faults.
What are the best packet sniffers for Windows 10?
PRTG Network Monitor is an advanced, professional tool for analyzing and monitoring local networks. The tool captures the data passing through your network, analyzes it and then presents it in a readable format.
It has a special Packet Sniffing Sensor that will let you know if any of the network packets are suspicious.
Be careful as such a sensor could use many of your PC’s resources and you will need to manage your processes carefully when you will want to scan for dangerous data packets.
PRTG Network Monitor detects all network data activity, as well as application usage of the system’s ports.
The tool offers a flexible system of configurable filters and reports that users can use to capture specific traffic patterns and network data.
Also, it supports many selections of events, methods, and properties.
PRTG Network Monitor comes in two variants: a completely free, basic edition and a paid version with full features. You can test the tool for free for 30 days and continue on a free basis with limited features or buy the full version with user support.
PRTG Network MonitorManage the way your PC uses your bandwidth with one of the best network monitoring tools on the market today!
Packet sniffers need to be a complete package that allow network management and control, as well as provide in-depth statistics regarding the traffic analytics of a given network.
NetFlow Analyzer is one such tool, and it is one of the best packet sniffers on the market today, providing hundreds of companies with much-needed intel regarding their network status, and how they could improve it.
The software is built around the idea that things need to be easy to understand and as transparent as possible, and that’s exactly how the data is displayed for any Network administrator using it.
Here are some of the features of this program:
- Network forensics and troubleshooting
- Efficient bandwidth monitoring
- App-centric monitoring
- In-depth traffic analysis
- Security analysis
NetFlow AnalyzerIf you’re looking for an efficient packet sniffer, both in terms of costs and performance, then you need to try out NetFlow Analyzer.
Wireshark is one of the most popular packet sniffers in the world, allowing you to see what’s happening on your network at a microscopic level. This free tool is used by industries and educational institutions.
Wireshark has powerful display filters that can read and write a huge number of capture file formats, such as:
tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer, Sniffer Pro, and NetXray, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, and more.
Other features include:
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text/
Free Network Analyzer is another excellent free network monitoring software that can analyze wired or wireless connections of your computer. The tool can capture, filter and display all traffic data and decode the network packet raw data.
Packets are then parsed, extracted, and presented in a readable form, offering you a throughout analysis of the data transferred via your PC network interfaces.
Key features include:
- Real-time protocol analysis and effective dataflow processing even under high traffic load on high data rate communications
- Data filtered by specific protocol
- Search for data patterns with RegEx (Regular Expressions) support
- Importing log files from third party protocol analyzers
- More than 70 different data encodings supported.
This tool is the right choice for regular users, such as students, teachers, or computer geeks. Capsa Free allows you to monitor network traffic, troubleshoot network issues and analyze packets.
It supports over 300 network protocols, MSN and Yahoo Messenger filters, email monitor and auto-save, as well as customizable reports and dashboards.
The main advantage of this tool is that it allows you to learn how to monitor network activities, pinpoint network problems, and improve network security.