- Prince of Persia was a popular classic video game developed for the DOS system.
- Windows 10 is one of the listed supported operating systems to play the Prince of Persia game.
- You can play the PoP game without installing it on your PC using SDLPoP.
Prince of Persia was one of the most popular Ubisoft games available on the Windows platform, which was then replaced by the Assassins Creed series.
However, as Windows modernizes to match new-gen games’ demands, backward compatibility has never been the priority for Microsoft. That said, with a few workarounds, you can still play old games on Windows 10.
This leaves many DOS gamers questioning whether they can play Prince of Persia on a Windows 10 PC. Yes. An Independent developer has made available the classic Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 on Windows 10 platform.
You can download and play the game without figuring out all the workarounds required to play old games on Windows 10.
Alternatively, you can also run the Prince of Persia game using the DOS emulator. We have discussed all these methods in the article below.
Is Prince of Persia available on PC?
Prince of Persia is very much available on PC despite being an old game. There are different ways of downloading and installing the game.
We will explore all the possible methods in the subsequent sections of this article.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
A true gamer needs the best browser
Complete your gaming setup with Opera GX. It's a customizable browser designed for gamers, with a futuristic design and a game-focused interface. It includes optimization features for resource consumption: CPU, RAM and bandwidth limiters.
The browser has integrations with Twitch, Discord, and other messengers, plus a gaming newsfeed with a new releases calendar, tournaments info and other gaming events. Moreover, to keep your sight focused on gaming elements, Opera GX includes an easy to enable dark theme.
Opera GXPlay games lag-free, chat with your peers and keep up with all new releases!
How do I install Prince of Persia on Windows 10?
1. Download Price of Persia from the Microsoft Store
- Open the PoP page on Microsoft Store.
- Click the Get button followed by Install. The game will download and install on your computer.
- Once installed, launch it from the Recently Installed section by clicking the start button.
This game runs in a sandbox and consists of Prince of Persia Classic, Prince of Persia 2, and some popular fan-made game modifications.
The default gameplay controls are set to the keyboard. However, you can download and use a third-party app to play the game using your Xbox controllers.
2. Run PoP using DOSBox
- Download the DOSBox emulator from the official website. Run the installer to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, create a shortcut to the DOSBox executable. Right-click on the DOSBox.exe and select Create a Shortcut.
- Move the new shortcut to where you want to open your game.
- Next, right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
- Open the Shortcut tab, and in the Target box (leave a space after the existing text), type the full directory path of your game’s executable files in the quote.
- It will look something like this:
C:Program Files (x86)DOSBox-0.74DOSBox.exe" -userconf "C:UsersTashreefDownloadsprince-of-persiaPrince.exe
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Rename the DOSBox shortcut to the name of your game.
You can also change the game icon in the properties window if you want. Double-click on the newly created shortcut to run the game. You should have the classic Prince of Persia DOS game running your Windows 10 system.
If you don’t have the Prince of Persia executable file, you can legally find it using the old games forum and websites.
Note that you can access the original Prince of Persia controls from the game’s menu. For the first method, launch the Prince of Persia PC app, click the Menu icon, and select Controls.
3. Install with SDLPoP
- Download the latest version of SDL Prince of Persia.
- Extract the Zip file and copy the files to a folder of your choice.
- Next, navigate to the folder where you have extracted the Zip file contents.
- Double-click on Prince.exe to start the game.
If you don’t want to install the original Prince of Persia video game using DOSBox, you can directly play using SDLPoP.
SDLPoP is an open-source port of Prince of Persia that runs natively on Windows and Linux systems. It is based on a disassembly of the DOS version and uses SDL.
4. Download PoP games from GoG
If you want to play the newer gen Prince of Persia games, such as Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Sands of Time, and the Forgotten Sand, check out GoG (Good Old Games).
GoG offers an excellent collection of classic Windows games at a discounted price. However, GoG does not feature the original Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 in their collection.
Can I run Prince of Persia Warrior Within on Windows 10?
Windows 10 is one of the supported operating systems for Prince of Persia Warrior Within. The minimum OS requirement for the game on PC is Windows 2000/XP.
So, you can easily play the game on your Windows 10 PC.
Prince of Persia is one of the first games we played on a PC. Many of us have fond memories, often in monochrome colors.
We have listed three methods to play the classic PoP games on your Windows 10 PC.
Once you have installed the game, don’t forget to tell us your favorite PoP game in the comments below.