- Prince of Persia was a popular classic video game developed for the DOS system.
- If you want to know how to play Prince of Persia on a Windows 10 PC, have a read through our guide.
- Want to play more classics on your PC? Explore our Old Games section.
- For more tutorials and tips for your PC, check out our dedicated Windows 10 hub.
Prince of Persia was one of the most popular Ubisoft games to be available on the Windows platform, which was then replaced by the Assassins Creed series.
However, as Windows modernizes to match new-gen games’ demands, backward compatibility has never been the priority for Microsoft.
That said, with a few workarounds, you can still play old games on Windows 10.
This leaves a lot of DOS gamers with the question if they can play Prince of Persia on a Windows 10 PC?
Yes. An Independent developer has made available the classic Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 on Windows 10 platform.
You can simply download and play the game without having to figure out all the workarounds required to play old games on Windows 10.
Alternatively, you can also run the Prince of Persia game using the DOS emulator. We have discussed all these methods in the article below.
How do I install Prince of Persia on Windows 10?
1. Download Price of Persia from Microsoft Store
- Open the PoP page on Microsoft Store.
- Click on Get and then click on Install. The game will download and install on your computer.
- Once installed, launch it from the Recently Installed section by clicking the start button.
This game runs in a sandbox and consists of Prince of Persia Classic, Prince of Persia 2, and some popular fan-made modifications of the game.
The default gameplay controls is set to the keyboard. However, you can download and use a third-party app to play the game using your Xbox controllers.
2. Run PoP using DOSBox
- Download the DOSBox emulator from the official website. Run the installer to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, create a shortcut to the DOSBox executable. Right-click on the DOSBox.exe and select Create a Shortcut.
- Move the new shortcut to where you want to open your game.
- Next, right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
- Open the Shortcut tab, and in the Target box (leave a space after the existing text), type the full directory path of your game’s executable files in the quote.
- It will look something like this:
C:Program Files (x86)DOSBox-0.74DOSBox.exe" -userconf "C:UsersTashreefDownloadsprince-of-persiaPrince.exe
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Rename the DOSBox shortcut to the name of your game.
If you want, you can also change the game icon in the properties window. Double-click on the newly created shortcut and to run the game. You should have the classic Prince of Persia DOS game running your Windows 10 system.
If you don’t have the Prince of Persia executable file, you can find it using the old games forum and websites legally.
Note that the original Prince of Persia controls can be accessed from the game’s menu. For the first method, launch the Prince of Persia PC app, click the Menu icon, and select Controls.
3. Install wit SDLPoP
If you don’t want to install the original Prince of Persia video game using DOSBox, you can directly play using SDLPoP. Here’s how to do it.
- Download the latest version of SDL Prince of Persia.
- Extract the Zip file and copy the files to a folder of your choice.
- Next, navigate to the folder where you have extracted the Zip file contents.
- Double-click on Prince.exe to start the game.
SDLPoP is an open-source port of Prince of Persia that runs natively on Windows and Linux systems. It is based on a disassembly of the DOS version and uses SDL.
4. Download PoP games from GoG
If you want to play the newer gen Prince of Persia games such as Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Sands of Time, and the Forgotten Sand, then check out GoG (Good Old Games).
GoG offers an excellent collection of classic Windows games at a discounted price. However, GoG does not feature the original Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 in their collection.
Prince of Persia is one of the first games I played on a PC. Many of us have fond memories, often in monochrome colors.
We have listed three methods to play the classic PoP games on your Windows 10 PC.
Once you have installed the game, don’t forget to tell us your favorite PoP game in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The popular Prince of Persia franchise was created by Jordan Mechner and published by Ubisoft and Broderbund Software.
Yes. Third-party developers have ported the game to run on Windows 10 natively. You can also run old Windows games in the sandbox using DOSBox.
You can use third-party websites like GoG to run old games like Prince of Persia on your PC.