- Wondering how to use 2 audio outputs at the same time on Windows 10/11? We’ve got a few quick tips for you.
- For example, you may easily use the Stereo Mix software in order to adjust it to use multiple audio outputs.
There is no secret that Windows plays audio through one connected output device by default.
Thus, users will usually need to switch between alternative connected speakers or headphones to select the required playback device.
However, you can configure Windows 10 so that it plays sound from two connected playback devices simultaneously.
This is how to output audio to two devices in Windows 10.
Can you have multiple sound outputs?
Yes, it’s possible. You can use 2 USB headphones at once on Windows as long as you properly configure both devices. In some cases, you might even need specialized hardware to achieve the desired results.
To achieve this, you also need to change the default speakers, and this is pretty simple to do from the sound settings window.
Keep in mind that setting up multiple output devices isn’t always easy, and you might end up with no sound in Windows 11, but there are ways to fix that.
How do I use two audio outputs at once on Windows 10?
1. Enable Stereo Mix
- Right-click the Speakers icon on the system tray and select Sounds.
- Select the Playback tab shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Then select your primary speakers audio playback device and click Set as default. That will be one of the two playback devices that play the audio.
- Select the Recording tab shown directly below.
- Right-click a blank space on the Recording tab and select the Show Disabled Devices option. Then you will usually see Stereo Mix on the Recording tab.
- Right-click Stereo Mix and select the Enable option.
- Then right-click Stereo Mix to select the Set as Default Device option on its context menu.
- Click Properties on Stereo Mix’s context menu to open the Stereo Mix Properties window.
- Select the Listen tab on the Stereo Mix window.
- Then click the Listen to this device checkbox.
- Select the second playback device listed on the Playback this device drop-down menu.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons on both the Stereo Mix Properties and Sound window.
- Restart your desktop or laptop. Thereafter, Windows will play audio at the same time from your primary audio device and the one you selected on the Playback this device drop-down menu.
How do I use two Bluetooth audio outputs at the same time Windows 10? Windows 10 includes a Stereo Mix option that you can adjust to playing audio from two devices at once. However, that is not enabled by default in Windows 10.
Thus, you’ll need to enable Stereo Mix in Win 10 and then configure its settings as described above.
Note that not all users will always see Stereo Mix on the Recording tab even after selecting Show Disabled Devices. That’s usually due to your laptop’s or desktop’s sound driver.
Some of the latest sound drivers don’t support Stereo Mix anymore. So you might need to install an older sound driver if you can’t enable Stereo Mix.
If your HDMI doesn’t show up in playback devices on Windows 10, check out this step-by-step guide to solve the problem.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Also, if you’re sure that the problem is your driver, to avoid similar issues in the future you can block Windows 10 from auto-updating the driver with the help of this easy-to-follow guide.
2. Select Output Devices to play audio from specific apps
- To select audio output for specific software, right-click the Speakers icon and select Open Sound settings.
- Then click App volume and devices preferences to open the options shown in the image directly below.
- The Settings lists all your open apps. Click the Output drop-down menu adjacent to the software you need to select a playback device for.
- Then you can select a connected playback device from the drop-down menu. Note that Windows will save the chosen output audio device so that it plays audio when you open the software you selected it for.
The latest Window 10 build includes new settings that enable users to customize playback devices for software. Now users can select multiple audio outputs in Windows 10 without Stereo mix.
For example, you could select one set of speakers to play music from Google Chrome and another pair of speakers to play audio from the Movies & TV app.
So you can play audio from two or more playback devices at once by selecting alternative sound output for software.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this quick article to solve the issue.
Note that you can also enable Stereo Mix in earlier Windows platforms, but you can’t configure multiple output devices to play audio from specific apps in Windows 7 or 8.
So you can play audio from two, or more, sound devices at once by enabling Stereo Mix or adjusting the volume and device preferences in Win 10.
If you are planning to connect multiple headphones but don’t have enough jack ports, use a headphone splitter.
If you’re aware of another fix for the problem, share it in the comments section below so that other users can try it, too.
Remember, you can still select specific audio playback devices for apps with the Audio Router software.
An audio output splitter software isn’t needed since it’s so easy to achieve it from Windows. If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them there as well.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.