How to play sound on two devices at once in Windows 10
Windows plays audio through one connected output device by default. Thus, users will usually need to switch between alternative connected speakers or headphones to select the required playback device.
However, you can configure Windows so that it plays sound from two connected playback devices simultaneously. This is how you can play audio from two connected playback devices at once in Windows 10.
Steps to output audio to multiple devices in Windows 10:
Method 1: Enable Stereo Mix
Windows 10 includes a Stereo Mix option that you can adjust to play audio from two devices at once. However, that is not enabled by default in Windows 10.
Thus, you’ll need to enable Stereo Mix in Win 10 and then configure its settings as follows:
- Right-click the Speakers icon on the system tray and select Sounds.
- Select the Playback tab shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Then select your primary speakers audio playback device and click Set as default. That will be one of the two playback devices that plays the audio.
- Select the Recording tab shown directly below.
- Right-click a blank space on the Recording tab and select the Show Disabled Devices option. Then you will usually see Stereo Mix on the Recording tab.
- Right-click Stereo Mix and select the Enable option.
- Then right-click Stereo Mix to select the Set as Default Device option on its context menu.
- Click Properties on Stereo Mix’s context menu to open the Stereo Mix Properties window.
- Select the Listen tab on the Stereo Mix window.
- Then click the Listen to this device check box.
- Select the secondary playback device listed on the Playback this device drop-down menu.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons on both the Stereo Mix Properties and Sound window.
- Restart your desktop or laptop. Thereafter, Windows will play audio at the same time from your primary audio device and the one you selected on the Playback this device drop-down menu.
Note that not all users will always see Stereo Mix on the Recording tab even after selecting Show Disabled Devices. That’s usually due to your laptop’s or desktop’s sound driver.
Some of the latest sound drivers don’t support Stereo Mix anymore. So you might need to install an older sound driver if you can’t enable Stereo Mix.
If your HDMI doesn’t show up in playback devices on Windows 10, check out this step-by-step guide to solve the problem.
Also, if you’re sure that the problem is your driver, to avoid similar issues in the future you can block Windows 10 from auto updating the driver with the help of this easy to follow guide.
Method 2: Select Output Devices to Play Audio From Specific Apps
The latest Window 10 build includes new settings that enables users to customize playback devices for software. Now users can select different audio playback devices for alternative apps.
So you can play audio from two or more playback devices at once by selecting alternative sound output for software.
- To select audio output for specific software, right-click the Speakers icon and select Open Sound settings.
- Then click App volume and devices preferences to open the options shown in the image directly below.
- There Settings lists all your open apps. Click the Output drop-down menu adjacent to the software you need to select a playback device for.
- Then you can select a connected playback device from the drop-down menu. Note that Windows will save the chosen output audio device so that it plays audio when you open the software you selected it for.
So you can play audio from two, or more, sound devices at once by enabling Stereo Mix or adjusting the volume and device preferences in Win 10.
Note that you can also enable Stereo Mix in earlier Windows platforms, but you can’t configure multiple output devices to play audio from specific apps in Windows 7 or 8.
However, you can still select specific audio playback devices for apps with the Audio Router software.
If you’re aware of another fix for the problem, share it in the comments section below so that other users can try it, too. If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them there as well.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 10+ best audio equalizer software for Windows 10
- 5 best audio recorder software to capture game sounds in 2018
- 10 best waterproof wireless speakers to get for a safe audio experience
Windows 10 is a very complex operating system with hundreds of apps and processes runing in the background. Some of them came pre-installed, others have […]
Microsoft is continuously working on improving the experience and usability of Windows 10, especially now when Windows 10 v1903 caused so many bugs. It seems […]
Microsoft is constantly trying to facilitate Windows 10 users with the update process. Apparently, Microsoft has not been 100 percent successful in its efforts. We […]