Plex Media Server is a popular local streaming software available for multiple platforms and allows the users to stream contents from their local server like Nvidia Shield Pro over the internet from anywhere. However, at times you may face difficulty installing Plex Media Server. Several users have reported Plex Media Server won’t install issue in the Reddit community forums.
Server version: Trying to install the latest PMS 18.104.22.16857
OS: W10 HP x64
Had PMS installed many months ago now and removed it for one reason or another. Wanting to devote some time to it on my main rig so have tried to install it again afresh after installing the OSX version of PMS on my Mac recently. Run the installer as admin, let it run the install flows and it comes up with the setup successful – great. Until you click launch and it does nothing. After further investigation, no Plex directories in C:\ProgramFilesx86, no start menu shortcuts, nothing – Not even in LocalAppdata.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot Plex Media Server won’t install issue in Windows.
How to fix Plex Media Server Won’t Install
1. Run the Setup File as Admin
- Windows may prevent some files from installing and making changes to the registry entries due to insufficient privileges.
- Locate the Plex Media Server setup file that you downloaded from the official website.
- Right-click on the Setup file and click on Run as Administrator.
- Wait for the installation to complete and reboot the system.
- After the restart, navigate to C:\ProgramFilesx86 and check if the app is correctly installed.
2. Uninstall and Clean Old Registry Entries
- If you are trying to reinstall Plex Media Server, it is possible that the old registry entries are preventing the fresh installation. It is also possible that uninstallation was partially successful thus creating issues with the installation.
Uninstall using Revo Uninstaller
- Download and install Revo Uninstaller.
- From the Application column, right-click on Plex Media Server and select Uninstall.
Clean Registry Entries using Ccleaner
- Download and install Ccleaner app.
- Launch the Ccleaner app.
- In the Registry tab, click on Scan for issues button.
- After the scan, click on Fix selected Issues.
- Click on Yes for “Do you want to back up the registry before making changes“.
- Save the file and then click on Fix All selected Issues again.
- Click Close and close CCleaner.
- Now try to run the Plex Media Server setup file again and check for any improvements.
3. Run Microsoft Apps Troubleshooter
- Microsoft offers a Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter application that helps you to automatically repair issues when any installation-related issues occur.
- Download Microsoft Programs Install and Uninstall.
- Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to troubleshoot the issue. Apply any fixes if recommended by the troubleshooter.
- Reboot the system and check for any improvements.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- Best VPNs for Plex: 8 of our favorite solutions
- The Plex app doesn’t work with Windows 10 [FIX]
- How to automatically optimize Plex on your Windows 10 device