How to create portable software in Windows 10 [EASY WAY]
- Windows 10 does not have a built-in tool to convert apps and programs to portable versions of themselves.
- Fortunately, there are third-party tools that allow you to do this.
- In this article, we will show you how to create portable apps with Cameyo.
Portable programs are very useful, and still quite popular. What people like most about this type of programs is its simplicity, and the very idea of using apps instantly, without having to install them.
Also, if you have multiple computers and you need to transfer programs and data between them, portable programs make the process easier.
Unfortunately, the majority of programs and apps you’re using every day come as executable, therefore they require installing. So if you want to transfer any of these programs to another computer, you’ll have to install them once again.
If you don’t want to install your apps on other computers over and over again, the best solution is to actually convert them to portable apps.
Can I create portable apps and programs on Windows 10?
Unfortunately, Windows 10 doesn’t have its own feature for converting ‘regular’ programs to portable ones, so we can’t look for a built-in solution.
However, there are a lot of third-party applications that allow us to do just that. In this article, we’re going to explore one of these programs, that we think is the best for this job.
Perhaps the most popular tool for creating portable apps in Windows 10 is a free program called Cameyo. With Cameyo, you can make a portable version of basically any app or program in Windows 10.
How does the Cameyo tool function?
Using Cameyo is the most simple and secure way to create portable versions of apps and programs. There are many similar tools, but this is the best. So download and install Cameyo, use the Capture an installation option and then use the Cameyo option and you’ll run your apps in no time.
The program could look a bit confusing to new users, but once you get around it, you won’t have any problems creating your portable apps.
Using Cameyo is a bit specific because it must be performed on a virtual machine. The reason for this is because of the way this tool works.
Cameyo takes a snapshot of your system before the program you want to create a portable version of is installed, and then creates another snapshot after that program is installed. So, if you want to convert a program with Cameyo, it mustn’t be installed when you initiate the process.
As the program takes two snapshots of the system, any interruptions from other apps or processes are forbidden, as they might damage your portable program.
Because of that, the developers of Cameyo advise users to use this tool on a virtual machine, with no necessary programs running. Here’s what they say exactly:
“Prepare a clean, basic virtual machine. Make sure no unnecessary programs run on it. Turn off all possible updates, including Windows Updates or anti-virus updates. Avoid using other programs on your machine. In general, anything that can modify files or registry keys, will interfere with the packaging process. We recommend using XP SP3 32-bit, unless your software requires some higher systems to install & function.”
How to create portable apps with Cameyo
You can easily create portable apps and programs with Cameyo. All you need to do is create a new virtual machine, install Cameyo on it, and then use it to convert apps to a portable version. This third-party program can convert basically any application, so whatever you need to transfer, you can do it with it.
1. Download and run Cameyo on your computer. This program is, of course, portable itself, so you don’t have to install it.
2. Open Cameyo.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
3. A window will appear asking you which program you want to open: Cameyo, Capture an installation or Edit package. Choose Capture an installation and click OK.
4. The program will now take an initial snapshot of your system. While this process lasts, Cameyo displays a dialog box in the lower-right part of your screen.
5. When taking a snapshot is finished, Cameyo will ask you to finally install the program you want to convert. So, just head over to the program’s installation file, and install it.
6. When the program is installed, return to Cameyo’s dialog box. Keep in mind that Cameyo is going to capture the exact current state of the program you want to convert. So, if you want to make some additional changes or adjustments, open the program, do what you want, and then click Installation done. That way, Cameyo will capture the program adjusted by your needs.
7. After you finish making adjustments, click on Installation done in the lower-right part of the screen.
8. Cameyo will not take a post-installation snapshot, so wait a few moments.
9. Once the package was successfully created, a dialog box will pop up, to confirm everything went right. Just click OK to close the dialog box.
10. Your portable program is now saved in C:Users<username>DocumentsCameyo. But our work is not done yet, as it will have the cameyo.exe extension at the end.
11. Now, head back to the main Cameyo program. Choose Cameyo from the list of available options.
12. If this is a first time you’re using Cameyo, it will ask you to register. Most users probably won’t be thrilled by this detail, but registration is free, so it shouldn’t be a big problem.
13. Once you’ve registered, click the Computer icon at the bottom of the window. All applications you’ve created with Cameyo will be listed there.
That’s about it for our guide through Cameyo. This program surely has its downsides. For example, you need to run portable apps through Cameyo, as the program doesn’t save them as other file types, like .RAR for example.
Additionally, the free version of the software has some limitations, so if you’re serious about converting your programs with Cameyo, you’ll probably want to buy the pro version.
Besides the fact that this tool is not perfect, it is arguably the best solution for creating portable apps in Windows 10.
There are some other apps for creating portable programs, but they all work on the same principle as Cameyo. So, if you didn’t like Cameyo, you probably won’t like these programs either.
What do you think about Cameyo? What app or program will you convert first? Leave the answer in the comments section below along with any other questions you may have.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.