Prevent Users From Changing Passwords in Windows 10, 8.1
Knowing how to prevent certain users from changing the password in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 can be very useful especially if there is more than one person using the same Windows 8.1 or Windows 1o device. So by following the tutorial below, it will explain exactly how to prevent users from changing passwords in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
For example if you have in your family a brother or a sister and you let he or she use your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device but they don’t have a user account of their own, then you will most likely want to restrict certain processes in order to prevent your operating system from being modified in such a way that you won’t be able to use it.
How to restrict users from changing the password in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1:
First method: Use Computer Management feature
- Press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “X”.
- Left click or tap from within the displayed menu on the “Computer Management” icon.
- You will have to look on the left side of the window and double click or tap on the “System Tools” feature.
- In the “System Tools” you will need to double-click or tap on the “Local users and groups” category.
- In the “Local users and groups” category double click or tap on the “Users” folder.
- You will have in the middle pane the list of users that use the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.
- Right-click or hold tap on the user you want to apply the restrictions.
- Left click or tap on the “Properties” feature.
- In the next window that appears you will have to check the box next to “User cannot change password” field.
- Left click or tap on the “Apply” button.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
- Close the open windows you have opened.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.
- Check and see if you have the restrictions implemented on that current user.
Second method: Use Registry Editor
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button.
- Write in the run box that appears the following: “regedit” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- You should have in front of you the “Registry Editor” window.
- On the left side pane double-click to open the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” folder.
- In the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” folder double click on “Software”.
- In the “Software” folder double click on “Microsoft”.
- In the “Microsoft” folder double click on “Windows”.
- In the “Windows” folder double click on “CurrentVersion”.
- In the “CurrentVersion” folder double click on “Policies”.
- In the left side pane, you will need to right-click on an open space and select “DWORD (32-bit)”.
- Name the DWORD “DisableChangePassword”.
- Now that you have created it you need to double-click on it.
- In the “Value data” field write “1” without the quotes.
- Press the “OK” button.
- Reboot your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.
- Check and see if you have restricted the specific user from changing the password in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
Third Method: Use Group Policy Editor
- Press Windows Key + R and type inside the Run Box ‘gpedit.msc’ so the following windows open:
- Double-click on User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Ctrl+Alt+Del Options
- Double click on ‘Remove Change Password’ and select ‘Enabled’ as highlighted in the image below:
- Click ‘Apply’ and close the window.
This is pretty much all you need to do in order to prevent users from changing the password in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 devices. Please write us below if you have any other questions related to this subject and we will help you as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Microsoft recently hosted an AMA session on Reddit and encouraged users to ask questions about the upcoming version of Microsoft Edge. The tech giant announced […]
Microsoft already announced its upcoming Chromium Edge browser for Windows 10 and macOS users. However, Linux users are also waiting in the queue. Redditors recently […]
Travian Legends is an online real-time strategy game that had been released in 2004 by software developer Travian Games. The game is played online, directly […]