- If you are experiencing the printer cannot be contacted over the network error, it might be due to disabled services.
- You can fix this issue by removing the printer and adding it again via Control Panel.
- Another effective solution is to set up a static IP address for the printer.
Many people reported that their printer fails to print with the following error: Printer cannot be contacted over the network. This issue affects those printers that are added as network printers.
If you are also dealing with this issue, try one of the following troubleshooting tips to eliminate this error.
Why is my printer not connecting to the network?
Below are some of the causes of the printer cannot be contacted over the network issue:
- Disabled services: Sometimes, the Canon or Epson WF-3540 Series printer cannot be contacted over the network issue can be due to some disabled system services. The solution to this is to restart these services.
- Connection issues: If your Sharp printer or other products cannot be contacted over the network, it might be down to minor connection issues. You can fix this by removing and adding the printer again.
What to do if the Printer cannot be contacted over the network
1. Remove the Printer and Add it Again
- Press the Windows key, type control, and select Control Panel.
- Choose View devices and printers under the Hardware and Sound section.
- Now, right-click your printer and select the Remove device option.
- Next, click the Yes button to confirm the action.
- Wait for the process to complete and click Add a printer at the top.
- Your system will now start looking for all the available printers. Click the one you want to add and click the Next button.
- Finally, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Sometimes, the most straightforward fix might be the most effective. For example, if you are getting the printer cannot be contacted over the network prompt, the first thing to try is to remove the device and add it again.
This will clear up any glitch that might be causing the issue.
2. Enable certain services
- Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc, and click OK.
- Double-click the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service to open its properties.
- Now, click the Stop button to halt it.
- Next, set its Startup type to Automatic and click the Start button.
- Click the OK button to save the changes.
- Now, repeat steps 2 to 5 for the services below:
- Routing and Remote Access
- Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service
- Remote Access Connection Manager
After restarting these services, check if the printer cannot be contacted over the network error message that persists.
Follow the steps below if one of the services gives you this error: Windows could not start the service on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service differs from the account specified for other services running in the same process.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 above for the faulty service.
- Click the Log On tab at the top and tick the radio button for This account.
- Now, click the Browse button.
- Type your user account name in the Enter the object name to select box and click the Check names button.
- Next, wait for the name to be confirmed and click the OK button.
- Finally, type in your account password in the Password and Confirm password boxes and click OK.
With this, you should be able to eliminate the Printer cannot be detected over the network issue for good.
3. Set up a Static IP Address
- Press the Windows key + R, type control, and click OK.
- Click View devices and printers under the Hardware and Sound section.
- Right-click the specific printer and select Properties.
- Now, click the Ports tab at the top and scroll down to find an entry similar to an IP address. Note down the address for future use.
- Open your web browser, type the IP address in the address bar, and hit Enter.
- Next, log into your printer network settings.
- Select IP Configuration under the Networking tab. Next, find an option titled IP Address Configuration or TCP/IP.
- Now, change its value from Automatic to Manual or Static.
- Finally, type the IP address you want for your printer and click Apply.
The printer cannot be contacted over the network issue can be annoying. Fortunately, you can fix it for good by following the solutions in this guide.
If your printer has not IP address, check our comprehensive guide to fix it effortlessly.
Let us know the solution that helped you fix this issue in the comments below.