RAID is a very useful way to protect your data, improve performance, and also balance your input and output operations. RAID can be used either in the form of software, or hardware, depending on where you need to process to happen.
When it comes to hardware RAID, the process is performed by utilizing your computer’s internal motherboard, or, in some cases, a separate RAID card, making it a more powerful option, but that involves investing in specific hardware.
The software RAID is configured directly on your computer’s host server CPU, and even though the speed of processing is slower than in the case of hardware RAID, but it is more cost-efficient.
In order to manage every aspect of your RAID, you will need to use specialized software that allows dynamic disk management and also partition management.
In this article, we will explore some of the best software options that allow you to do that, and also a built-into-Windows alternative. Read on to find out more.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Server (recommended)
MiniTool Partition Wizard Server allows you to make the entire process of splitting your disk space and managing every aspect of it rather simple.
This software gives you the power to clone drives, extend your RAID array, and even enlarge your hard drive space without affecting the stored files.
Here are some of the best features found in this software:
- Power-off data protection mode – gives you the power to revert any changes in case of a power outage
- Can extend C drive (System partition) space by moving space from other partitions
- Can change cluster size without affecting data
- Can create NTFS partitions with storage bigger than 16 TB
- Can customize dynamic volumes for a wide range of storage types – Raid 0, 1, 5, etc.
- Allows easy management of RAID
- Quick and efficient
- User-friendly UI
- Does not support wireless keyboards
- The free version only allows file recovery under 1GB
– Get now MiniTool Partition Wizard Server 2019
SnapRAID is another very useful RAID tool that allows you to manage every aspect of your disks and stores the entire range of information locally.
This software can recover from up to six disk failures, without compromising the data.
Here are some of the best features found in SnapRAID:
- Automatically hashes your data keeping it safe from silent corruption
- In case the failed disks are not recoverable, it isolates them assuring the other disks don’t become corrupted
- Recovery for accidental file deletion
- Allows you to use different sized disks with the ability to add new ones any time
- If you stop using SnapRAID at any point in time, you don’t need to reformat or move your data
- Optimizes the way your disks are used by only using the needed ones
- Requires very low system requirements to run at full power
- Lower power usage and noise
- Easily scalable
- Doesn’t run automatically
- No built-in storage pooling
- Limited when dealing with multiple users
Storage Spaces - built into Windows 10
This built-in tool found in Windows 10 protects the entire range of data stored on your hard drive, and it can customize the way the storage is used.
You can set custom rules that allow you to group more drives in one storage pool, and then create virtual drives. These drives store two copies of your data, allowing you not to worry about losing data even when one of the copies becomes corrupted.
- No need to install anything to use it
- Efficient disk management
- Limited range of features
- Not a very good looking interface
In this article, we explored some of the best software options that allow you to manage all your RAID hard disks with ease.
The software presented in this list covers all the tools you need to manage your hard disks creation, usage, and statistical gathering. We also presented you with a built-in option that is almost as efficient as the software found in this article.
Please feel free to let us know what options you chose and how it worked out for you, by using the comment section below.
- Best hard drive benchmark tools for Windows 10
- 5 best external hard drive recovery software to use in 2019
- 10 best hard drive eraser software for Windows 10