- Skype is a great instant messaging service, but many users reported various issues with it.
- According to users, they can’t sign in at all due to Sorry we didn’t recognize your sign in details error message.
- To fix this problem, check your antivirus settings or try using Skype for Web as a workaround.
- This is just one of the many Skype issues that you can encounter. If you have additional problems with Skype, check our Skype hub for more solutions.
Skype is one of the most popular messaging services, but unfortunately, users reported certain issues with it on Windows 10. According to them, they are unable to sign in to Skype and every login attempt is followed by Sorry we didn’t recognize your sign in details error message.
How do I fix Sorry we didn’t recognize your sign in details error on Skype?
Skype is one of the most popular messaging applications on Windows, but sometimes issues with Skype can occur. Speaking of Skype issues, here are some of the common problems that users reported:
- Skype doesn’t recognize sign in details – This message can appear if your username or password isn’t correct. If you get this error, check your sign-in details. If everything is in order, you might have to reset your password.
- Skype name and password were not recognized – This can be a problem with your Skype client, so if you’re having this issue, reinstall Skype and check if the error message still appears.
- Skype can’t connect – This is another problem with Skype that you can encounter. If you get this error, be sure to check if Skype servers are working properly. If there’s an issue with Skype servers, you’ll have to wait until Microsoft resolves the issue.
- Skype oops please check your details – Sometimes you might get this message instead. This is a similar problem, and in order to fix it, be sure to try all solutions from our article.
1. Reinstall Skype
Not being able to log in to Skype can be a big problem, and one of the potential solutions is to reinstall the application. Simply uninstall the application, restart your computer and try to install it again.
Users reported that they are unable to install Skype by using the same setup file, therefore it’s recommended to download the latest full version of Skype.
The full version of Skype is actually an offline installation that doesn’t download any files.
The offline installation contains all the necessary files, and it’s perfect if you don’t have a constant Internet connection available in order to install Skype.
In order to completely remove Skype, along with all of its files and registry entries, it’s advised to use uninstaller software.
If you’re not familiar, these are special kinds of applications created to completely remove any program from your PC.
Using these tools you can uninstall Skype completely and remove all files and registry entries associated with Skype. Thanks to these tools, it would be as if the Skype was never installed on your PC.
These tools are incredibly simple to use, so you should be able to remove any application without any problems.
2. Change your hard drive serial number
To fix this problem, you need to change your hard drive serial number. You can do this in several different ways, but the easiest solution is to download Hard Disk Serial Number Changer.
After downloading this tool you just need to run it, select your main partition, usually that would be C, and you should see a hard drive serial number that consists of eight characters separated by a dash.
Change the serial number a bit, for example, you can just change a single character, and click the Change button. After doing that, your hard drive number should be changed.
Hard drive serial number changes every time you format your drive, therefore this procedure should be harmless, and users didn’t report any problems after changing their hard drive serial number.
If you’re concerned that something might go wrong, create a System Restore point or hard drive disk image.
3. Check your antivirus settings
Antivirus and firewall software can sometimes interfere with Skype, therefore be sure to check its settings.
Users reported issues with Eset Smart Security, and after turning off the option to scan SSL protocol the issue with Skype was resolved.
Bear in mind that almost any antivirus program can cause this error to appear, therefore check if your antivirus software has an option for scanning SSL protocol and disable it.
If you can’t find this option, you might want to temporarily remove your antivirus and check if that fixes the issue.
If removing your antivirus solves the problem, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus software.
All these tools offer great protection, and they won’t interfere with your system or applications in any way, so feel free to try them.
4. Use Skype for Web or try signing in on a different device
If you’re getting Sorry we didn’t recognize your sign in details error message, the problem might be with your desktop Skype client.
To check if this problem only affects the desktop client, we advise you to try signing in to Skype for Web and check if the problem appears.
In addition, you can also try signing in to Skype on your phone or on a different PC.
If Skype for Web and Skype on your phone work without any issues, it means that the problem is caused by the desktop client, so you should reinstall it.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in August 2016 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.