Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Teams meetings are a great way to get your team together and have an online meeting in real-time.
- The app's most notable feature is its ability to record meetings for future review.
- While Teams does come with some basic recording features, it doesn't offer all of the options you might want in a recording tool.
One of the best features of Teams is the ability to record a meeting and share it with others. It’s a great way to create a record of what happened and who said what, as well as a great way for everyone to learn from the meeting by watching it in their own time.
The Teams app has come a long way since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, and now you can even transfer Teams call from PC to mobile.
Recording is not always a smooth ride as sometimes you may encounter issues such as audio not working on Teams call or you can’t record at all.
Perhaps you have been wondering how to record Microsoft Teams meetings automatically. While Microsoft has built-in functionality for recording meetings, it only works with select participants. Luckily, several third-party services can help you record Microsoft Teams meetings.
Can you record a Microsoft Teams meeting?
You can record a Microsoft Teams meeting. To do so, you will need to use its built-in recording feature. First, you’ll need the right permissions for the Teams channel you’re trying to record. If you don’t have those rights, you won’t be able to do it anyway.
Can I record a Teams meeting if I am not the host?
You can record a Teams meeting if you are not the host. But there are some limitations. If you are not the host of the meeting, then you will not see the Record button in your app bar. The meeting host will need to permit you to record the meeting.
If you are wondering how to record a Microsoft Teams meeting as a guest, you can only do so with screen recorder software.
How do I record a meeting in Microsoft Teams?
1. Use the Teams app
- Launch the Teams app when a meeting is just about to start.
- Click on the horizontal ellipses at the bottom and click on Start recording.
2. Use OBS Studio
If you want to record Microsoft Teams meetings and save them for later, you can install OBS. It is a free, open-source, and cross-platform screencasting and streaming app.
The dashboard has a lot of customizing features for high-quality videos which makes this software user-friendly. OBS is the best overall free software in terms of flexibility and power.
1. Download and install OBS Studio.
2. Launch the app and click the + icon at the bottom left corner under Scenes and Sources.
3. Click on Display Capture and click OK.
4. Go to Settings.
5. Click on Output in the window that pops up and select a location to save the recording.
6. Now click on Start Recording.
3. Use Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro has long been the industry standard for video editing, but it’s also a great tool for capturing video from your computer screen.
You can use this software to record a Microsoft Teams meeting and save it as an MP4 file on your computer. It’s not only powerful but also easy to learn.
4. Use Loom
Loom is a free screen-recording tool that lets you record any activity on your screen, including Microsoft Teams meetings. The application also has a Chrome extension making it easier to record while using a browser.
It’s easy to use and has many features that make it perfect for recording meetings. The app lets you record audio from your microphone or from the speakers, so you can include the audio from your meeting.
⇒ Get Loom
5. Use Movavi
Movavi is a free screen recorder that lets you record desktop activities, including Microsoft Teams meetings.
The best part about this software is that it’s very easy to use: all you need to do is select the area of the screen that you want to record and press Start Recording.
Why can’t I record my Teams meeting?
If you are having trouble recording on Microsoft Teams, below are some possible causes:
- You don’t have the latest version – If you’re running an older version of Teams, you might not be able to record meetings.
- Microsoft cache – If a team meeting is scheduled and it’s not recording, the problem could be with your cache.
- Your organization limits recording – If you use a company’s G Suite account, such as your company’s main email address, your company manages your account. It’s best to contact your admin to ask them to enable video and audio recording.
- Low memory – If your device does not have enough storage space, it cannot record a video. You can try to delete some photos and videos to free up hard disk space.
Why is the recording option disabled in Teams?
There are a few reasons the recording button has been disabled or greyed out in Teams:
- Recording disabled by the administrator: When you can’t record meetings in Teams, it could be that the function was disabled in the policies.
- The path to the folder was changed: When you record a meeting, it’s saved to OneDrive. In case the path is changed, you might face issues.
- Corrupt app cache: If the Teams’ cache is corrupt, you are just as likely to have the recording button greyed out. Clearing the cache in Teams should fix things.
Where are Microsoft Teams recordings stored?
The Microsoft Teams’ recordings are usually stored on OneDrive or SharePoint, depending on the meeting type. Here is how it works:
- For Channel meetings- SharePoint
- For Non-channel meetings- OneDrive
Do note these recordings have a default expiration period, i.e., 120 days, and won’t be available forever, though it can be changed in the Teams Admin Center.
In case you want to keep an eye on the recordings stored by Microsoft Teams meetings, check out this guide to know the recording’s location.
Hopefully, you have found one or more methods that work out for you if you were wondering how to record a Microsoft Teams meeting.
You may also experience an issue where Microsoft Teams keeps restarting, but we have covered various fixes to help you solve the problem.
Should you want to give your app a cool customized look, you can activate the dark mode in Microsoft Teams.
In the comments section below, let us know your preferred method to record a Microsoft Teams meeting.