The Refresh option is a basic function in Power BI. The tool has Refresh Now and Schedule Refresh as available options. You can use Refresh Now to perform a manual refresh in Power Bi Desktop. Also, you can schedule a refresh in a few easy steps.
Still, refreshing data in Power Bi is not so obvious at first sight, as one user said:
I have created some reports using Power BI desktop and Published those as a Web Page from Power BI service. My source is SharePoint. I want to schedule refresh of Power BI data from source SharePoint in every 2 hours. How to achieve this?
So, we know that the OP wants to refresh the Power Bi data from the SharePoint source once every two hours. Here’s how to do that.
Steps to refresh your data in Power BI
1. Configure credentials
First of all, you need to configure the credentials for data sources used in the Power Bi report.
- In the Power BI Report Server, right-click on the Power BI Reports.
- Select Manage.
- Select the Data sources tab.
- Choose the type of authentication to use when connecting to that data source.
- Enter the appropriate credentials.
2. Create a plan for Schedule Refresh
- Right-click on the Power BI Reports.
- Select Manage.
- Select the Scheduled refresh tab.
- Select New scheduled refresh plan.
- Write a description and set a time for when you want your data model to be refreshed and then click on Create scheduled refresh plan.
3. Use manual Refresh button from Home in Power BI Desktop
This is rather simple, but you can refresh your data one time only.
- Open Power BI Desktop.
- Load your file you want to refresh.
- Click on Refresh button from the Home ribbon.
Refreshing your data in Power BI is a very useful feature, especially Schedule Refresh. Generally, people who work with this tool use dynamic sets of data and it is not physically possible to refresh them manually.
Did you find the methods useful? Let us know in the comments section below!
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 5 free cloud accounting software to keep your books updated on the fly
- Top 3 browsers for seamless SharePoint use
- 8 best free cloud software for Windows
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.