A number of users have reported seeing the Remote Desktop error 0x104 on Windows 10. In some cases, the connection works only when both of the computers are very close to each other.
This can be an extremely frustrating problem, as many people around the world need to access their work servers remotely and they use this feature to collect or access data from the company they work at.
In some other cases, users that have tried connecting to their remote servers have also observed their Internet connection failing.
Because of all these reasons, in this article, we will explore some of the best methods to follow in order to fix this issue.
How can I fix Remote Desktop error 0x104 on my PC?
1. Check if port 3389 is open in your firewall
Note: Port 3389 needs to be open on both PCs that are using the Remote Desktop. In order to protect your PC from malicious users, be sure to open port 3389 only internally.
- Click Cortana search box and type -> Remote settings.
- Inside the System window -> click on Remote Settings.
- Select the Remote tab -> tick the box next to Allow remote connections to this computer.
- Type Control Panel inside your Cortana search box and open it.
- Choose System and security -> select Windows Firewall -> click on Advanced settings.
- Inside the Inbound Rules tab -> make sure Remote Assistance (RA Server TCP-In) is enabled.
- Inside Properties make sure port 3389 is open.
2. Check if all computers use the same network profile type
- Click on the network icon in your taskbar (near the clock).
- Connect to the network of your choosing -> click on Properties.
- From the Settings window -> select either Public or Private for all the PCs.
- Try to see if this fixes your issue.
3. Run SFC scan in PowerShell (Admin)
- Press Win+X -> select PowerShell (Admin).
- Type /sfc scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete and check if the issue persists.
We would love to know if this guide helped you solve your issue. Please feel free to let us know by using the comment section below.
- Remote Desktop plagued by black screen issues on Windows 10 [FIX]
- Windows 10 Build 18912 fixes GSOD and remote desktop issues
- Complete guide for setting up a Windows 10 Kodi Remote Control