- The resend & recall features are essential tools that help to make corrections and undo the delivery of emails, respectively, in Microsoft Outlook.
- Also, the sender and recipient must have Microsoft Outlook email addresses for the feature to work.
- The recall feature is also limited to not working if it has been read or forwarded to other recipients.
In Outlook, recalling an email is an attempt to unsend or delete a sent email message from the recipient’s mailbox. On the other hand, resending an email message is used to send the original message or its edited version to the same or different recipients.
Since this is a great feature that allows users to make quick corrections, several of our readers have requested to know how to resend an email in Outlook. This article will provide a comprehensive guide on resending & recalling an email in Microsoft Outlook.
Is there a way to resend a sent email?
Yes, you can do this by using the Resend This Message feature which is particular to Microsoft Outlook. This enables you to resend a sent email to the same or a new email address.
Let’s check if editing is possible in the message window before resending using an Email service such as Outlook for Mac.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Can you edit and resend an email in Outlook?
Yes, you can edit and resend an email in Outlook. Once the message is in the items folder, you can perform the following edits:
- Remove recipients who don’t need to receive the message again – Select the name(s) and Delete.
- Add new recipients – Select the name(s).
- Add or remove attachments – Click the Attach button to select a file from your File Manager.
- Edit the contents of the message and send it.
After editing a sent email, resend it, which will replace the original email.
How do I recall and resend an email in Outlook?
Before attempting to use the recall and resend feature for an email in Outlook, below are a few checks to confirm:
- Ensure that both you and your recipient have Microsoft Outlook email addresses.
- You can’t recall an email using the Outlook Web App.
- Make sure the recipient is on the same Microsoft Exchange Server environment.
- Recalling the email can only be successful if it has not been read or forwarded to other recipients by the original receiver.
- The permanent recall feature is only available on a Windows PC. Mac users will have to use the Undo toggle, which gives them up to a 10-second grace period to edit or recall an email after sending it.
Remember these tips when using the resend and recall feature in Microsoft Outlook for Mac. Further, let’s explore the steps to resend an email in Outlook below.
1. Via the Recall This Message feature
- Launch your Microsoft Outlook app, and sign into your account.
- In the folder pane, click on Sent Items.
- Open the sent email that you want to recall.
- On the Message tab, in the Move group, click on Actions, and then select Recall This Message from the options.
- A dialog box will appear with two options: Delete unread copies of this message and Delete unread copies and replace them with a new message.
- Choose the appropriate option and click OK to initiate the recall process.
While these steps have proven successful in this email window, using them may not be universally effective across other email clients.
Meanwhile, some Outlook users have reported that recalling Outlook emails almost never works. In case you are experiencing similar issues, check out this guide to know what the cause could be.
2. Use the Resend This Message feature
- Follow steps 1 to 2 in the method provided above.
- Double-click on the email template you want to resend to open it in a new window.
- In the new window, navigate to the Message tab, and click on Actions in the Move group.
- Select Resend This Message from the drop-down menu.
- A new email template will open with the original email content.
- If you want to resend the email to the original recipient, make the necessary changes, and press the Send button.
- If you want to resend the email to new recipients, clear the original recipients from the To, Cc, or Bcc fields, add the new recipients, and press the Send button.
Should you get Outlook not sending emails issues, you can explore our detailed step-by-step guide to fix the error.
And that’s how to recall and resend an email in Microsoft Outlook. If this guide has helped you, share it with anyone who might benefit.
Also, if you have any questions or suggestions, please use the comments section below.