- Outlook app is one of the most used email clients in the world.
- But every once in awhile, it may stop serving its purpose. Here's what to do if you can't send emails via Outlook.
- If nothing works, maybe it's time to switch the email service. Check out these Best Windows 10 email clients and apps.
- Not ready to give up on Outlook just yet? Not a problem! Find all the help you need in our Outlook Troubleshooting Hub.
A lot of people are using the Universal Outlook app, instead of a web-based version, but some reported that they’re unable to send emails through their Outlook app.
In this article, we’re going to show you some tested solutions to fix your problem with emails in Outlook.
How can I fix Outlook email sending issues?
- Change your email provider
- Create a new email profile
- Check if TCP/IP protocol is enabled
- Turn on authentication
1. Change your email provider
Despite being a very popular email service, Outlook has a very long history when it comes to known issues for both their downloadable client, as well as their web client.
In fact, we went ahead and compiled a list of the 15 most common Outlook issues that you may encounter at one point or another while using it.
Thus, if none of the solutions written below manage to fix the issue for you, maybe it is time to consider switching the email client.
One perfect candidate for the job is Mailbird, since it has all of the tools of Outlook, and so much more.
With Mailbird, you can manage all your emails and contacts from multiple accounts easily in one unified Inbox, visually customize the app to look in whatever way pleases you most.
You can also enjoy instant access to Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Asana, Todoist, and many more similar services via clever app integrations.
Is Outlook giving you a hard time? Find a better alternative in this feature-rich, fully customizable email client.
2. Create a new email profile
There’s a possibility that your email profile is corrupted, so you can try with creating a new one. Here’s what you need to do to create a new email profile for Outlook:
- Go to Search, type control panel and open Control Panel
- Go to User Accounts and open Mail
- In the Mail window, go to Add…
- In the Profile Name box type the name of your new profile and click OK
- After that, select Manually Configure Server Settings
- On the Choose Service page, click Internet E-mail, and click Next
- Fill in the boxes in the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box. Make sure that the Account Type setting is set to POP3
- Click Next and then click Finish
- Now go back to the Mail window, in When Starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile box select the profile you just created
- Click OK
- Open Outlook to see if there are any changes.
3. Check if TCP/IP protocol is enabled
If you still have problems, even if you switched to another profile, you can check if TCP/IP is set as your default protocol. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Search, type ncpa.cpl, and press Enter
- Right-click on your internet connection and go to Properties
- Under the Networking tab, make sure that Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) is checked, if not, then check it
- Click OK.
4. Turn on authentication
- Select the Tools menu in Outlook > go to Email Accounts
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts > Next
- Select an email account > click on Change > More Settings
- Go to Outgoing Server tab
- Check the option My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Select the option Use same setting as my incoming mail server > hit OK > Apply > Finish
Now, if the issue persists, you can also use this guide where we tell you what to do if Outlook emails remain stuck in your outbox. If nothing works, maybe it’s time to use a third-party email service.
That’s all, we hope that at least one of these solutions solved your problem with emails in Outlook. If you have any comments, feel free to write them down in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Outlook
- What is Microsoft Outlook?
Down to its core, Microsoft Outlook is a personal information manager, but most users know it as an email client.
- Are there any alternatives to Outlook as an email client?
Yes, there are plenty of email clients that you can use if Outlook doesn’t work.
- Is Outlook the best PIM?
While Outlook is indeed very popular, that doesn’t mean it is necessarily one of the best PIM tools out there.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.