How to Resize the Start menu in Windows 10
How to I resize my Start Menu in Windows 10?
Seems that with the new update of Windows 10, Microsoft has disabled the resizable feature of the Start menu most users loved about the Windows operating systems. Well, I am here to tell you that there is a very easy tweak in the system and you can fix the Start menu resizable feature in Windows 10 in just five minutes of your time.
For this solution regarding the resize feature for the Start menu in Windows 10, you will have to do some Registry modifications. As a safety precaution, it is always a good idea to backup all your files and folders that you may need in case you get potential errors in the system. Also, for these changes to the registry editor, you will need to log in with your administrator account in order to be able to add a new DWORD to the system.
How to change the size of the Windows 10 Start menu
1. Tweak your Registry
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “R”.
- You should have the Run window in front of you.
- Write in the run dialog box the following: “regedit” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- The Registry Editor window should be on the screen.
- On the left side panel left click to open the “HKCU” folder.
- In the “HKCU” folder left click to open the “Software” folder.
- In the “Software” folder left click on the “Microsoft” folder to open it.
- In the “Microsoft” folder left click on the “Windows” folder to expand it.
- In the “Windows” folder search for the “CurrentVersion” folder and open it.
- From the “CurrentVersion” folder open the “Explorer” folder.
- Now within the “Explorer” folder search for the “Advanced” folder and open it.
- On the right side panel right click on an open space.
- Left click or tap on the “New” feature.
- Now from the sub-menu left click or tap on the “DWORD (32-bit) Value”
- Name the DWORD as follows : “EnableXamlStartMenu” without the quotes.
- Set the value for this DWORD to “0”.
- Close the Registry Editor Windows.
- Reboot your Windows 10 computer
- After the device starts check to see if your resizable Start menu is there.
2. Use the double-sided arrow
Now that Windows 10 allows you to resize your Start Menu, all you need to do is hover over the Start Menu borders with your mouse pointer until the double-sided arrow appears. When it does, click on the Start menu and drag the arrow to resize it.
That’s all you have to do and bring back your resizable Start menu in Windows 10. If you encountered any issues along the way in this tutorial, you can post a comment in the section below and I will help you as soon as possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Start Menu not working in Windows 10
- FIX: Windows 10 Calendar app greyed out on the Start menu
- Full Fix: Start Menu Disappears in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]