- If you handle critical data on a daily basis, backing up your files is not only a recommendation of healthy practice, but a necessity
- More advanced users, such as network administrators, might need more than just local backup software solutions, such as backup programs for servers
- If you have more specific needs, such as backing up Apps data from your Windows 10 PCs, here's how you can perform this operation
- Check out our dedicated Backup Software section if you want to find out more
No matter how advanced it is, all today’s technology can potentially take a nasty turn. Hard drives, for instance, are notorious for crashing and today’s ransomware can make a computer’s content inaccessible.
With digital content becoming crucial for business and also for personal assets including videos, photos, and music, it’s obvious that protecting everything with backup software has become more important than ever.
Nobody really enjoys backing up their PC’s system, docs and media files, but doing this can definitely save you lots of pain. These five apps can take care of your system for you.
Best backup software for Windows 10
Acronis provides one of the best user-friendly and feature-packed backup programs for home users.
Its True Image Cloud service and the True Image software as well are both able to create full disk-image copies for the ultimate protection from disasters.
Check out True Image’s best features for protecting your system:
- The interface of this software is modern, friendly and straightforward.
- By default, this tool selects the Entire PC as the source of your backup.
- You will be able to change to specified drives, files, partitions, or folders.
- You will get an estimate of the space required for the selected backup.
- The program also comes with a tool for archiving and analyzing large files which has its own button on the interface.
- You also have the option of encrypting your backup with a password.
- After the backup is complete, you get two options, Recover PC and Recover Files.
Acronis True Image combines backup, disk-cloning, rescue-disk creation, and many more system utilities and disk tools. The program brings some unique capabilities to backup software including mobile backup and Facebook as well.
It comes with the most accessible interface, and on the other hand, it allows experts to dig into some really details backup options.
— Editor’s Note: If you’re interested in other backup software, check out our wide collection of guides.
Paragon Backup & Recovery Advanced is a consumer-friendly tool, and it comes with Wizards to take you through the most common backup scenarios.
The company aggressively updates the backup tool so now it reached its Advanced version that supports Windows 10.
Take a look at the best ones of its features:
- The tool comes with huge improvements in usability and performance compared to previous versions.
- The program interface has been totally revamped, and now it’s easier than ever.
- The interface comes with three tabs, Home, Main, and X-View.
- Paragon Backup & Recovery Advanced also comes with more scheduling options for your backup: daily, on-demand, weekly and one backup.
- The software works really fast and it can backup 15GB in about 5 minutes.
- During the backup creation, you will get an estimated backup time.
- For the backup, Paragon creates a virtual hard drive with all the data.
- If you try to restore an entire system, the software warns you that it’s best to do this with external recovery media.
With this tool, Paragon finally created a backup utility that is accessible for home users. The software also comes with more advanced features targeted at enthusiast users, and these include Paragon’s powerful disk-management tools.
Stellar Data Recovery makes it easy to recover lost or deleted files from your computer’s hard drive or any other external storage device.
Here are its most important features:
- Recover deleted files (including multimedia files)
- Efficient file search (it allows you to search for files by name, type, target folder or target folder on a logical drive while checking the option Erased files / Existing files)
- Supports over 300 file types
- Two levels of scanning: fast and thorough. If the tool cannot find the information sought after the quick scan, it automatically goes into deep scan mode
- Recovering files from portable devices (provided the data is stored on the memory card)
- Data recovery from damaged hard drive
- Data recovery from CF cards, flash cards, SD cards (mini SD, micro SD and SDHC) and mini disks
- Custom sorting of files
- Email recovery
AOMEI Backupper is one of the best backup software available on the market which aims to protect your important files as well as your operating system.
Here are its most important features:
- Backup and restore system, partition, hard drive, files
- Clone your hard drive or partition
- Manage incremental backup and automatic backup
You should know that AOMEI is constantly improving its services and products, offering you with each new version more advanced and more effective features. Here are the latest:
- Possible to choose a network drive as destination and simultaneously select multiple files on NAS as a backup source
- Resume computer from sleep/wake mode to perform scheduled tasks
- Optimize the calculation method of the Run once a day option to synchronize the calculation time with the computer time
- Optimizing the USB connected window when the system is in high resolution
- Optimize the backup scheme to automatically delete old backups according to the defined parameters
FBackup is a backup solution that easy scheduling and simple modes. Even though it hasn’t many features, like other backup tools from this list, it is a pretty capable backup utility.
Here are the most important FBackup features:
- Exact copies of files using “mirror backup”
- Protection against ransomware
- Easy to use interface with helpful wizards
- Run actions before/after backup
- Multiple backup destinations, including external drives, CDs/DVDs, online.
- Backups in the cloud directly to Google Drive or Dropbox
- Backup plugins
- Backup open files
- Backup and restore wizards
- Backup catalog file
You’ll be able to back up your files in no time with the help of the Where/What/How/When backup wizard that will make things way easier, so it’s perfect for beginners.
These are the five best backup tools for Windows 10, and every one of them packs useful features for protecting your data and saving you lots of effort in case of potential disasters.
Install either one of these programs and save copies of your most important photos, music, and more files either to the cloud or a separate hard drive.
You won’t regret the outlay because it’s quite a small price to pay for your peace of mind and your data’s protection.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Windows 10 offers you a built-in backup solution for your files, but it’s not as versatile as specialized backup software.
The 3-2-1 method is popular among backup enthusiasts and it goes like this: it’s best if you keep 3 copies of your data (original + 2 backups), on 2 different storage media, and 1 of the copies should be kept entirely off-site in case of disaster.
When you’re using Incremental backup, it will only detect changes that have occurred since the last incremental backup, not since the last full one. Differential backup takes up more storage space, as it detects changes made since the last full backup, and but is generally more reliable.