5 best backup software for Windows 10 to use in 2018
No matter how advanced it is, all today’s technology can potentially take a nasty turn. Hard drives, for instance, are notorious for crashing and today’s ransomware can make a computer’s content inaccessible.
With digital content becoming crucial for business and also for personal assets including videos, photos, and music, it’s obvious that protecting everything with backup software has become more important than ever.
Nobody really enjoys backing up their PC’s system, docs and media files, but doing this can definitely save you lots of pain. These five apps can take care of your system for you.
Backup software to protect your data just in case
1. Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Advanced (recommended)
Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Advanced is a consumer-friendly tool, and it comes with Wizards to take you through the most common backup scenarios. The company aggressively updates the backup tool so now it reached its Advanced version (after the 16-th) that supports Windows 10.
Take a look at the best ones of its features:
- The tool comes with huge improvements in usability and performance compared to previous versions.
- The program interface has been totally revamped, and now it’s easier than ever.
- The interface comes with three tabs, Home, Main, and X-View.
- Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 also comes with more scheduling options for your backup: daily, on-demand, weekly and one backup.
- The software works really fast and it can backup 15GB in about 5 minutes.
- During the backup creation, you will get an estimated backup time.
- For the backup, Paragon creates a virtual hard drive with all the data.
- If you try to restore an entire system, the software warns you that it’s best to do this with external recovery media.
With this tool, Paragon finally created a backup utility that is accessible for home users. The software also comes with more advanced features targeted at enthusiast users, and these include Paragon’s powerful disk-management tools.
Update: Paragon Backup&Recovery 16 was replaced with Backup&Recovery Advanced. This is a better backup utility from Paragon and it comes at a better price than the previous with a bunch of new features. It also comes at a better price: $29.95, what means $10 cheaper than Paragon Backup&Recovery 16. It also has a free version that you can download from the official website and test it on your PC. Do not worry – it does the same that Paragon Backup&Recovery 16 do.
2. Acronis True Image (suggested)
Acronis provides one of the best user-friendly and feature-packed backup programs for home users. Its True Image Cloud service and the True Image software as well are both able to create full disk-image copies for the ultimate protection from disasters.
Check out True Image’s best features for protecting your system:
- The interface of this software is modern, friendly and straightforward.
- By default, this tool selects the Entire PC as the source of your backup.
- You will be able to change to specified drives, files, partitions, or folders.
- You will get an estimate of the space required for the selected backup.
- The program also comes with a tool for archiving and analyzing large files which has its own button on the interface.
- You also have the option of encrypting your backup with a password.
- After the backup is complete, you get two options, Recover PC and Recover Files.
Acronis True Image combines backup, disk-cloning, rescue-disk creation and many more system utilities and disk tools. The program brings some unique capabilities to backup software including mobile backup and Facebook as well. It comes with the most accessible interface, and on the other hand, it allows experts dig into some really details backup options.
– Download now Acronis True Image free version from Acronis official website
3. StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5 Desktop
StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5 Desktop is one of the best backup software out there due to its speed, reliability and full protection. All this tool’s functions are centered on creating and using disk-images files that contain a complete snapshot of a partition from your disk.
You will be able to either use that to restore your entire system with a single operation, or you will be able to open in a window on your desktop as if it were the real disk allowing you to explore/copy files and folders.
Here are the tool’s most important features:
- It comes with a straightforward interface, and all you need is basic skills on Windows file system navigation.
- You can schedule the backup to run it daily, weekly, monthly or continuously.
- You will be able to set a password to access the backup.
- The tool lets you do two things with your backed-up disk images: restore and explore.
- The tool comes with enterprise-level reliability.
- You get the ability to choose high, standard or no compression for the backup.
- There are multiple options for restoring or viewing files.
There are some advanced features available as well, including throttling. This lets you reduce the app’s drain on the system resources just in case you want to keep using the computer for something else.
You can also run pre-job commands, create a retention policy and make subsequent backups differential instead of re-doing the whole thing every time. This is one of the most reliable disk-imaging local backup software.
- ALSO READ: Fix: System Backup Failed on Windows 10
4. NTI Backup Now 6
NTI has been in the system backup game since way back in 1995, so you can imagine the considerable expertise of the company when it comes to protecting data. Its Backup Now 6 tool comes with fast performance and an improved interface.
Just take a look at its main features:
- It can perform continuous file and folder backup.
- The program provides full-drive backup and restore, encryption and more tools.
- The interface is attractive and user-friendly including buttons for Backup, Restore and Migrate.
- This software can create a recovery USB or disc.
- NTI Backup Now 6 helps you migrate your system to a new PC or a new hard drive.
- You also have the ability to choose backup later.
- The program is suited best for beginners rather than more advanced users.
Overall, NTI Backup Now 6’s features are great especially for beginners and you will be able to create good-quality startup rescue USB drives and discs with its help.
It is able to protect your files and folders, including your system files.
5. Genie Timeline Home
Genie Timeline Home is a backup program that provides automatic purging to save disk space, a protection-level indicator and File Explorer integration for easily adding files to the backup.
Take a look at the most important features packed in the Genie Timeline Home:
- When you install the program, it creates a virtual disc entry named Timeline Explorer in File Explorer.
- The tool comes with one of the most straightforward interfaces.
- You have the ability to pause the backup.
- You get to choose between Smart and Turbo backup modes and the latter runs faster, also demanding more system resources.
- You can configure File Retention settings.
- The Auto Purge feature removes older versions of files.
On the Customizable Backup tab, there are two performance options that are configurable as well. Game/Movie mode ensures that backup will not interfere with the activities and the Power Saving Mode lowers the program’s resources usage.
The Genie Timeline Home comes with a great set of backup options, and it’s an effortless to use and a capable backup tool that provides you the opportunity to get back to previous versions of your files and folders.
These are the five best backup tools for Windows 10, and every one of them packs useful features for protecting your data and saving you lots of efforts in case of potential disasters.
Install either one of these programs and save copies of your most important photos, music, and more files either to the cloud or a separate hard drive.
You won’t regret the outlay because it’s quite a small price to pay for your peace of mind and your data’s protections.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 5 best local data backup software to use
- Review: EaseUS Todo Backup Free Software
- You can backup your WhatsApp files to OneDrive
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]
Microsoft released a new Windows 7 update to the general public. Update KB4457139 is actually a preview of the upcoming monthly rollup update and allows users […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update is just around the corner. Microsoft is expected to release this new OS version in October, although the exact […]