- Windows 10 has native support for proxy settings, allowing you to set up a proxy server that will be used by all your applications.
- You can easily configure proxy settings on Windows 10 in automatic or manual mode without installing anything else.
- However, if you prefer a safer long-term solution, consider investing in a premium VPN service. It beats a proxy in all ways possible.
- Check out our intuitive step-by-step guide below to set up a proxy on Windows 10 in manual and automatic mode, and by using a VPN.
A proxy server diverts your network data to another computer before it reaches its intended destination.
It has multiple benefits, from changing your IP address and geo-location to accessing restricted content.
If you’re looking for a simple way to set global proxy options on your Windows 10 desktop, laptop or tablet, we’re here to help.
How can I set up a proxy server on my Windows 10 PC?
Automatic proxy setup
If you have discussed with your ISP or system administrator about using proxy settings or a proxy setup on your Windows 10 PC, here’s what you have to do:
- Click the Start button, type proxy, and select Proxy settings
- Turn on Automatically detect settings
- Or, if you have received a proxy URL, then enable Script Address, paste the URL, and click Save
In some cases, Windows fails to autodetect proxy settings. But you can easily fix issues by using our troubleshooting guide.
Manual proxy setup
If you’re looking for a proxy server that will help you access blocked websites and unblock streaming content, you can look up free proxy server lists on Google.
Here’s how to set it up on your Windows 10 computer:
1. Go to proxy settings
2. Turn on Use a proxy server
3. Specify the Address and Port of the proxy server
4. If you want to exclude certain websites from the proxy, write them down in the box below
5. To exclude LAN addresses from the proxy, check the Don’t use the proxy server for local (intranet) addresses option
6. Click Save
If Windows 10 fails in its attempts to connect to the proxy, get started by checking your Internet settings. But there are also other simple solutions you can try.
Use a VPN service
A proxy server has low security and barely works as an Internet circumvention tool. It’s slow, crowded because it’s used by thousands of other users like yourself, and won’t protect your online privacy.
If you’re a privacy-concerned individual, consider investing in a premium VPN service. Compared to a proxy server, a VPN has superior security and geo-blocking features.
Here are the exact steps for your Windows 10 laptop or desktop:
- Sign up for a VPN subscription plan (we recommend PIA)
- Follow the email instructions to download and install PIA for Windows 10
- Launch the PIA VPN client
- Press the big power button to connect
We suggest using Private Internet Access because it’s the best in the business. It encrypts all data traffic flowing in and out of your PC.
That’s because the desktop client covers all Internet-enabled applications: web browsers, email clients, torrenting clients, Steam games, and everything else.
Plus, if you want to redirect your VPN traffic through a secondary location, you can use Shadowsocks or configure a SOCKS5 proxy without having to resort to a separate software application.
More about PIA:
- Split tunneling and kill switch
- Unblock Netflix US, HBO Max, Peacock
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
- Pay with a credit card, PayPal, or crypto
Private Internet AccessUse a reliable VPN like PIA instead of a proxy server to encrypt all your data and make yourself anonymous.
To recap, you can easily configure proxy settings on your Windows 10 computer in automatic or manual mode, without having to install any additional software.
However, unless you received explicit instructions from your ISP or system admin, you need to get old of proxy connection details from somewhere else.
Instead, we suggest opting for a premium VPN like Private Internet Access (buy here). It’s built to protect your online privacy, defend your router from hackers, unblock streaming media that’s not available in your country, and more.
Without a doubt, Private Internet Access is the best VPN for Windows 10.