- A Proxy is an intermediary server separating end users from the websites they browse.
- In the guide below we will be showcasing how to fix a PC that doesn't detect the proxy settings.
- To find out more about how to fix frequent PC issues, check out our Troubleshooting Hub.
- If privacy is on your mind, then you might like our extensive materials concerning Internet security.
Every operating system has some sort of problem and the same goes for Windows 10. Speaking of which, few Windows 10 users have been experiencing proxy issues.
According to users, they are getting Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error message.
If you’re having similar problems, do have a look at our solutions below.
There are many proxy-related issues that can occur, and in this article we’re going to cover the following problems:
- Windows 10 can’t detect proxy settings
- This is a common variation of this error and it can be easily fixed by using one of our solutions.
- Windows could not automatically detect proxy server
- Sometimes you might get a message saying that Windows can’t detect the proxy server.
- This issue is usually related to your network configuration.
- Windows won’t save proxy settings
- According to users, they are unable to save their proxy settings.
- This is a common error but you should be able to fix it with solutions from this article.
- Windows proxy settings keep changing
- This is another common problem with proxy.
- According to users, their proxy settings keep changing and they are unable to configure the proxy.
- Windows 10 proxy settings not saving, changing
- This is probably one of the most annoying proxy errors that can occur.
- According to users, they are unable to save or change their proxy settings.
Users report that internet on their computers is running very slow and they have difficulty accessing video streaming sites such as Youtube, Vimeo and Netflix.
As you can see, this can be quite a problem and cause many inconveniences, but luckily for you, we have the solutions.
How to deal with proxy issues on Windows 10?
1. Check your proxy server settings
- Disable proxy server on Internet Explorer.
- Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard.
- When Run dialog appears type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter.
- Click the Connections tab, and then click the LAN settings button.
- Check if your proxy settings are okay.
2. Reset TCP/IP
- Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt starts, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.
- Restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved.
If you’re unable to access Command prompt as an administrator, follow the step-by-step solutions in this article to solve the issue.
Using your computer without an antivirus is not the best idea, but fortunately for you, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender that will protect you when you remove your antivirus software.
According to some users, your antivirus software such as AVG 2015 can cause some issues with proxy on Windows 10, so it’s advisable to remove your current antivirus software.
In case you want to be secure while surfing the internet, you will need to get a full-dedicated tool to secure your network. Install now Cyberghost VPN. It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
After removing your antivirus software check if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved be sure to download and install different antivirus software.
4. Use System Restore
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- System Properties window will now appear. Click on System Restore button.
- When System Restore window appears, click on Next.
- Now you should see a list of recent restore points. If available, check Show additional restore points option. Select the desired restore point and click on Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
After completing the restoration, the error message should be resolved and everything will start working again.
Many users reported that this solution fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try it out.
If you’re interested in how you can create a restore point, we’ve written extensively about it in this article.
Also, if the System Restore doesn’t complete and you encounter some kind of error, take a look at this guide to fix the problem.
5. Perform an SFC scan
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator. To see how to do that, check Solution 2.
- Now enter sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- SFC scan will now start. The scanning process can take about 10-15 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.
If you can’t perform the scannow operation because of an error, this article will help you get past it.
According to users, you can fix Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings simply by using Command Prompt.
Once the scan is finished, check if the problem still appears. If so, you might have to use DISM scan. To do that, open Command Prompt as administrator and enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
DISM scan can take about 20 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the DISM scan is finished, check if the issue is resolved. If you were unable to run SFC scan before, try running it after DISM scan.
After running both scans, your issue should be resolved. Several users reported that SFC scan fixed the problem for them, so we advise you to try it out.
Want to know more about corrupted files on Windows 10 and what can you do? Take a look at this amazing guide about it.
6. Reset your Internet settings
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Navigate to Advanced tab and click on Reset.
- Click the Reset button. If you want, you can clear your personal data by checking Delete personal settings.
- Optional: Click on Restore advanced settings.
- Now click on Apply and OK to save changes.
Windows Could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error can sometimes occur due to your Internet settings. However, you should be able to fix the issue simply by resetting your settings to default.
After resetting your Internet settings the issue should be resolved.
7. Restart your network adapter
- Right click the network icon in the bottom right corner and choose Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings from the menu on the left.
- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Disable.
- Now right click your network connection again and choose Enable from the menu.
One of the simplest ways to fix Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error is to restart your network adapter.
After restarting your network adapter, the issue should be resolved and your network connection will start working again.
Keep in mind that this might not be a permanent solution, so you’ll have to repeat it if the problem reappears.
8. Enable Obtain DNS server address automatically
- Open Network and Sharing Center and go to Change adapter settings.
- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties button.
- Select Obtain DNS server address automatically and click on OK to save changes.
According to users, you might be able to fix Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error simply by obtaining your DNS automatically.
Many users prefer setting their DNS manually, but sometimes it’s better to use automatic settings.
After doing that, the issue should be resolved and you’ll be able to access the Internet without any problems. If the DNS server is not responding, you might want to take a look here.
9. Change proxy settings
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Network & Internet section.
- In the left pane, go to Proxy and in the right pane disable Automatically detect settings.
Users reported that disabling this feature fixed the problem for them, so make sure you try it.
Sometimes, the proxy won’t turn off at all on Windows 10. We’ve prepared a complete guide for such a case.
10. Run network troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Update & security section.
- In the left pane select Troubleshoot. Select Network Adapter in the right pane and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- When Troubleshooter opens, follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
- Optional: Some users are recommending to run Internet Connections troubleshooter, so you might want to try that as well.
After completing the troubleshooting, the issue should be resolved completely.
Windows 10 proxy issues can cause many problems.
If you’re getting Windows could not automatically detect network’s proxy settings error, we hope that some of our solutions will be helpful for you.
If you’re aware of another method to solve this problem, share your troubleshooting steps in the comments section below. You can also leave there any other questions that you have.