- We all rely on the Internet to fulfil our daily tasks. That’s why is frustrating to get error messages related to the proxy server used to protect privacy online.
- In any case, let’s see how to actually fix the Unable to connect to proxy server error with the solutions listed below. Resetting Internet options should be your first move.
- This article is part of our detailed section that discusses Internet connection errors. Troubleshot them now and make sure you aren’t missing anything of great importance.
- Come visit our dedicated Windows 10 errors hub for more useful articles.
If you get the error message Unable to connect to a proxy server in your Windows 10 operating system then you will learn exactly what is the cause of this issue and also how to fix it in the shortest time possible.
The Unable to connect to the proxy server error can be caused by several reasons like installing a third-party proxy program that might malfunction or perhaps your antivirus blocks your access to the proxy server.
Unable to connect to proxy server error can prevent you from accessing the Internet, and speaking of proxy issues, users reported the following problems as well:
- Cannot connect to proxy server Windows 10 – This is a relatively common problem on Windows 10, and if you experience this issue, you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Can’t connect to the proxy server Microsoft Edge – This error can also appear while using Microsoft Edge. If you’re having this problem, be sure to reset your Internet settings to default and check if that helps.
- Can’t connect to proxy server Windows 10 WiFi – Sometimes this error can occur if you’re trying to use a WiFi connection. If you’re having this problem, try switching to the Ethernet connection and check if that solves the issue.
- Unable to connect to proxy server Chrome, RocketTab – This error can appear in Chrome and it’s often caused by RocketTab add-on. If you’re having this problem, reset Chrome to default and remove any suspicious applications and extensions.
- Error proxy server connection failed – This is another common proxy error that can appear on your PC. If you encounter this issue, be sure to try some of our solutions.
Here we will see exactly how to deal with this and prevent it from happening again.
How can I fix Unable to connect to proxy server?
1. Reset Internet options
According to users, sometimes this error message can appear due to your Internet settings. This can happen if you manually change your settings, but sometimes other applications can make the changes without your knowledge.
To fix the problem, you need to reset your settings to default by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet options from the menu.
- When the Internet Properties window opens, navigate to the Advanced tab. Now click the Reset button.
- Check Delete personal settings and click the Reset button.
After doing that, your Internet settings will reset to default and the problem with the proxy server should be resolved.
2. Disable proxy
If you’re getting Unable to connect to proxy server error message, you might want to try disabling your proxy. This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Internet Options window.
- Go to the Connections tab and click the LAN Settings button.
- Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN option and click on OK to save changes.
You can also disable proxy by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, go to Network & Internet section.
- Select Proxy from the menu on the left. In the right pane, be sure to turn off all options.
Several users reported that this solution only works in Safe Mode, so be sure to enter Safe Mode and try this solution from there.
Once you disable proxy, the issue should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to access the Internet without any issues.
3. Use a VPN
VPN is a common solution nowadays for all users that are used to a proxy connection. These services offer you a connection via thousands of different servers all around the world thus keeping your identity safe.
Changing the IP address and blocking incoming attacks, a VPN tool might become your best friend. The big plus of such a tool is that it is a third-party app and will always work.
In case you cannot connect to a proxy server, we strongly recommend CyberGhost VPN, the best VPN on the market that comes with a great price and lots of useful features like unblocking streaming, anonymous surfing, anonymous torrenting and wi-fi protection.
If you want to be sure that your digital print remains untraceable on the internet and you cannot access a proxy server – you should definitely get CyberGhost VPN.
4. Scan your PC for malware
If you’re getting Unable to connect to proxy server message, the problem might be a malware infection. Certain malware can interfere with your Internet connection or change your proxy settings without your knowledge.
To fix that, you need to scan your PC for malware. If your current antivirus can’t find anything, you might want to try using a different antivirus application.
If you want to keep your PC clean and safe from malware, we recommend you to try one of the highly-rated antiviruses below:
Bitdefender is currently World’s Nr. 1Antivirus and it surely deserves this title. Besides all its security features and malware prevention methods, it also has an Auto Pilot that tells you exactly what you have to do daily in order to keep your PC or laptop safe.
It is definitely the antivirus you’ve been searching for – intuitive, efficient, and well optimized.
– Get now Bitdefender (35% discount)
This antivirus is well known for its great antimalware scan engine, gaming mode and free version available.
It also has a brand new Home Network Scanner, an enhanced behavioral detection, and end-to-end encryption while downloading files.
If you use your PC at home, or for gaming purposes – this is the antivirus you need.
– Download now Bullguard free
This is a malware-targeting tool that makes it extremely effective against any kind of attack.
The newest version runs a 24/24 scan in order to detect all the signatures, and in case you have an app that could be infected, it wraps it up in 4 security layers ending episodes (actions) that could use the vulnerabilities in the apps where they are located.
If you download lots of executable data, this is the security tool you must install on your PC.
After scanning and removing the malware from your PC, the issue should be completely resolved.
5. Use ipconfig command
If you’re getting Unable to connect to proxy server error message, the problem might be related to your IP address. However, you can fix that problem simply by running a few commands in Command Prompt.
To do that, just follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, just press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin). If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt starts, run the following commands:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
After both commands are executed, close Command Prompt and check if the problem still appears.
As you can see, this is a simple solution and many users reported that this solution worked for them, so feel free to try it out.
6. Reset Chrome settings to default
Many users reported Unable to connect to proxy server error message while using Google Chrome. However, you can easily fix that simply resetting Chrome’s settings to default.
Keep in mind that this process will disable all extensions and clear your cookies, so you’ll have to enable them manually. To reset Chrome, do the following:
- Start Chrome and click the Menu button in the top right corner. Choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click on Advanced.
- Scroll all the way down to the Reset section and click on Reset.
- A confirmation dialog will now appear. Click the Reset button to confirm.
- Wait for a few moments while Chrome resets to default.
Once the reset process is finished, Chrome will use default settings and the problem should be resolved.
If the issue is resolved, it’s rather likely that you have a malicious extension installed, so you should remove it from Chrome in order to prevent this error from appearing again.
7. Remove any suspicious applications
Sometimes Unable to connect to proxy server error message can appear if you have a malicious application installed on your PC.
Applications such as RocketTab can cause this error to appear, and if you have any unfamiliar applications installed on your PC, be sure to remove them and check if that solves the problem.
In order to fix this problem, it’s required that you completely uninstall the malicious application from your computer. This includes removing all associated files along with its registry entries.
You can remove these files manually, but it’s a lot faster and straightforward to use an uninstaller software to do that.
If you have a malicious application that you need to remove, be sure to try one of these tools. All of them have a simple and friendly user interface, so you should be able to remove problematic applications without any problems.
Be sure to check out this amazing list with more uninstaller software tools you can use right now.
8. Modify your registry
Another way to fix Unable to connect to proxy server error is to modify your registry. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Enter regedit and press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, in the left pane navigate to ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings key.
- In the right pane, locate ProxyEnable and ProxyServer values and delete them. To do that, simply select the value, right-click it and choose Delete. When the confirmation dialog appears, click on Yes.
After removing both these values from your registry, the issue should be resolved. If you don’t have both these values in your registry, this solution probably won’t work for you.
Keep in mind that modifying your registry can be potentially dangerous, so be extra cautious. If you experience any issues after making these changes, be sure to revert them and recreate deleted values.
Is your internet connection working after you tried the methods above?
If it is you can go on with your everyday activities and also if you have further issues please write us below in the comments section of the page and we will see what we can do to help you further with the issue.
FAQ: Learn more about the proxy server
- How to fix Unable to connect to proxy server?
To get rid of this error for good, don’t hesitate to apply the tricks found in this guide on how to fix Unable to connect to proxy server.
- How do I reset my proxy settings?
To reset your proxy settings, press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to launch Run. In the Command Prompt window, type netsh winhttp reset proxy and press Enter.
- Why do I keep getting a proxy server error?
There are times when the address is incorrect on Windows 10 or the antivirus interferes with web browsers. In this case, check out the best uninstaller software to use.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.