- RAM is an important aspect when playing games so it's recommended that your PC has enough to run and save.
- Sims 3 is a RAM-hungry game so if you come across error code 16, you need to start clearing some storage space.
The Sims 3 is a simulation game. You design the characters, create their personalities and interact with them in a virtual environment. As you create all these instances, you need to keep saving the game and that’s where the error code 16 may appear.
The error code 16 in Sims 3 is a save error. It can be frustrating to have made progress to an advanced stage then unable to save to pick up when you want to play the next time.
Why I’m I getting the error code 16 in Sims 3?
Error code 16 is a common problem in the Sims 3 game where you are unable to save your game. There are many reasons why this happens. Below, we discuss some of the possible causes of this problem:
- System requirements – The first thing you need to do is make sure that your computer meets the game’s minimum requirements.
- Outdated game – Make sure your game is fully patched. If you haven’t updated the game yet, it could be causing the error.
- Limited internet connection – For your game to be able to save, you need either an active internet connection or an active cloud save. If you have neither of these things, then you won’t be able to save your game.
- Outdated drivers – Make sure that all of your drivers are up-to-date and that everything is working correctly on your system.
- Low memory – You need to make sure that there is enough free space on your hard drive so that the game can continue to run smoothly without errors.
- Corrupt game files – A hardware failure can cause your Sims 3 game files to become corrupted and hence unable to save.
How can I fix the error code 16 on Sims 3?
Before going ahead with the methods mentioned below, check the following things first:
- Make sure that your device meets the minimum system requirements for running The Sims 3 game.
- If you have an older version of the game, try updating it first.
- Close any background apps that may be using the RAM.
- Turn off your computer and router/modem for 10 seconds and then turn them back on again.
1. Deactivate all mods
If you installed any Sims 3 mods, then remove them all and see if that helps. An error code 16 can happen because of a modded application. Modded apps can change the way the game works by adding new features.
If these features become too heavy for the game to handle, it may not be able to save. Try removing them and see whether this fixes the issue.
2. Clear your cache
Just like any other software, the game will store temporary files and data in a folder on your hard drive. These can get corrupted over time and lead to issues like Error Code 16 when you try to run the game again.
If you have a lot of old saved games or mods that are taking up space on your hard drive, then it might be time for you to clean out your cache files. This will help refresh your game data and potentially fix the issue.
3. Clear storage space
One of the most common causes of this error is a lack of RAM or not having enough memory on your machine to run the game smoothly. There are many ways of clearing storage space; from deleting unnecessary files and programs to running a Disk Cleanup.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
This will free up some space for your operating system and should help resolve the issue with Error Code 16 in Sims 3.
4. Reduce graphics settings
Sims 3 allows you to customize your neighborhood, characters’ appearances, and many other traits. As such, these tend to bulk up the game file whenever you save it.
You can opt for more basic features or no enhanced features at all. It may be a basic game but it’s better than having to start from scratch. Better yet, check out some of the best game settings for Windows 11 for optimized performance.
5. Update your drivers
- Hit the Windows key and select Settings.
- Click on Windows Update on the left pane then select Additional options on the right pane.
- Now click on Optional updates.
- Select Driver updates then check the updates you wish to install.
If you worry about choosing the wrong updates for your drivers, then you should try a specialized program, like DriverFix, to help you.
It is a great software that scans your PC for outdated drivers and then immediately locates the latest updates from its complete database.
Maintain your device in a good state by updating your drivers properly with DriverFix.
And that’s how to fix the error code 16 in Sims 3. Should you encounter any other related issues such as error code 12, feel free to check out our comprehensive article on the same.
You may also encounter a Sims 3 error on startup but we have also addressed the fixes in our expert article.
Some users have also complained that Sims 3 keeps crashing but worry not as you can easily solve the issue by visiting our detailed guide.
Let us know of any solution not mentioned here but worked for you in the comment section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.