- Sims 3's error code 12 is not an entirely uncommon issue that arises when players try to save .
- Players can't save in Sims 3 when it displays the code 12 error message.
- Our comprehensive The Sims errors section includes more fix articles for Sims games.
- To fix other gaming issues, check out our Gaming Hub.
Error code 12 is a Sims 3 issue that arises when users try to save games. This error appears due to insufficient RAM available to save games. Consequently, Sims 3 displays this error message, An unexpected error has occurred while saving: Error Code 12. So, players can’t save their games when error code 12 arises.
Check out these potential resolutions for error code 12
Close all background programs and software
- First, free up more RAM for Sims 3 before playing it by closing background programs and processes. Right-click the taskbar and click Task Manager to open the window shown directly below.
- Close all programs listed under Apps by right-clicking them and selecting End task.
- Then close background processes for third-party programs listed under Background processes. The best processes to terminate there are those for UWP Windows 10 apps, such as Edge, Photos, Skype, Mail, etc.
- In addition, check if your system tray includes any icons for third-party programs. If so, close the programs from there by right-clicking them and selecting their exit (close) options.
Expand Pagefile RAM allocation
- Try increasing the virtual RAM allocation (pagefile) for Sims 3. To do that in Windows 10, click the Type here to search button on taskbar.
- Enter the keyword adjust in the search box.
- Click Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Next, select the Advanced tab.
- Press the Change button.
- Deselect the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives setting.
- Select your C: drive.
- Select the Custom size radio button.
- Enter a RAM value that’s two GB more than what you already utilize in both the Initial and Maximum text boxes. The value entered should be exactly the same for both.
- Click OK to exit the window.
- Click Apply on the Performance Options window.
Try saving with the Save as option
Instead of selecting Save, try clicking the Save As option instead. Then give the save game a completely different file title. In addition, don’t include any spaces within your saved game‘s file title.
Delete game save folders
- Deleting game save folders that end with a .bad extension might also fix error 12 for some Sims 12 players. First, click the File Explorer button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Open this folder in File Explorer:
C:UsersUSER FOLDERDocumentsElectronic ArtsThe Sims 3Saves.
- Next, select all folders in Saves that include a .bad extension at the end of their titles.
- Click Delete to erase the .bad folders.
- Select folders that have your save game’s title and include .sims3 or .backup extensions at the end of them. Then click the Cut option on File Explorer’s Home tab.
- Right-click your desktop to select New > Folder.
- Enter Backup as the folder title.
- Then open the Backup folder. Select the Paste option to copy the cut folders into that directory.
Reduce Sims 3’s graphics settings
- Players can also minimize Sims 3’s RAM consumption by lowering its graphics settings. Launch The Sims 3.
- Click the three dots button at the bottom left of the game to select Options.
- Select the Graphics tab.
- Then select a slightly lower resolution setting for the game.
- Adjust the Detail Settings bars to lower options.
- In addition, deselecting the Enable Fullscreen Mode setting to play Sims 3 in a window mode might also resolve error 12.
- Click the tick button to apply the new settings.
Those potential resolutions for Sims 3’s error code 12 are certainly worth a shot. You can also try maximizing RAM for Sims 3 with game booster software. Check out our game booster guide for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it probably would as error code 12 arises due to a lack of RAM. To make the most out of your current setup, check out our thorough top 5 best RAM optimizer guide.
Updating drivers might make a difference as outdated ones can generate game issues. Try running a Driver Booster 7 scan.
The best fix in this case, is to improve performance for Sims 3 by closing superfluous background programs and processes and lowering graphical settings.