- Software to check ports allows you to perform in-depth vulnerability analysis of your network and keep potential threats at a distance.
- The tools presented in this article will perform network scans and offer up-to-date security reports.
- A software that allows for monitoring all the infrastructure including network links, applications is the best choice.
- The ability to scan the IP address and the ports in the range is yet another critical feature for a network monitoring tool.
Software that allows to check open ports and act as advanced scanners are great for performing vulnerability assessments in your network.
Finding and solving these vulnerabilities, digital and non-digital, is essential in ensuring that the network is working properly.
In this article, we will present you some of the best software you can use to check open ports so make sure to keep on reading.
What are the best software to check ports I can use?
PRTG Network Monitor is widely used in the monitoring software industry and is without a doubt our number one choice also.
With the help of this tool, you can monitor all the infrastructure including network links, applications, servers, and devices that are connected to the network.
The software has two kinds of port sensors included that can monitor and report back their activity.
By doing this, you will be able to easily see which port is open or closed, and even how long it took for the connection to happen.
Key features of PRTG Network Monitor :
- Scan and add private IP addresses automatically thanks to the IP scanner with auto-discovery feature.
- IP sensor to check the reachability with your IP Network.
- Complex network analysis.
- Pre-configured SNMP sensors that are compatible with multiple vendors.
PRTG Network MonitorMonitor up to 100 port sensors for free with PRTG Network Monitor in order to get the best view of ports status at all times.
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor is our next recommendation thanks to the OS detection feature.
The tool allows you to detect the closed and open ports and you’ll see the results in a comprehensive report.
Moreover, the tool offers mapping features, nodes configuring, SNMP trap receiver, interactive dashboard and customizable notifications.
All in all, SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor is the perfect tool to use for measuring performance metrics, port status, and bandwidth usage.
Key features of Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor:
- Comprehensive network visualization maps.
- Customizable and flexible notifications.
- Easy-to-use dashboard.
- Detailed monitoring of F5 BIG-IP family of products.
Angry IP Scanner is one of the fastest and most reliable port scanners out there. With this tool, you will easily scan the IP address and the ports in range.
Angry IP Scanner has a cross platform utility, which means that is compatible with both Windows and Mac but other operating systems as well.
The scan results can be saved and exported in several file formats CSV, TXT, XML, or IP-Port.
Moreover, the Angry IP Scanner offers access to NetBIOS information, IP address ranges, web server detection and many more.
Key features Angry IP Scanner:
- Reliable cross-platform IP scanner.
- Pings and optionally resolves hostname, scans ports, determines MAC address.
- NetBIOS information gathering.
- Can save and export data in multiple formats.
This software is widely used in corporations where large IT networks are present but can just as well be used in small home networks with a lesser number of devices.
Network Scanner by LizardSystems will scan the IP addresses and devices along with the allocated number of computers and subnets.
Thanks to the Terminal Services Manager you will also be able to see the details of the users connected, the sessions and their active processes as well.
Key features of Network Scanner:
- A great choice for network administrators and regular users.
- Scan multiple computers per minute.
- Excellent filtering options.
- Network resource audit to check access rights to resources.
Intruder is another great software for performing vulnerability scans that will ensure you find all the loopholes in your network infrastructure.
The software offers a strong security that allows to find mistakes that could potentially increase the external attack surface and also emerging threats.
Moreover, Intruder will scan the cloud system to keep a perfect visibility of your system while offering great reports that you can analyze.
Key features of Intruder:
- Excellent threat coverage with over 1000 checks.
- In-depth threat scanning.
- Compatible with AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud connectors
- API integration with your CI/CD pipeline
With this last software, we will conclude our list of the best software to check ports and perform scans.
Most of the tools presented here are cross-platform compatible, meaning they work with Windows 10 and other operating systems as well.
If you have additional recommendations, we would love to hear them in the comments section below.