- There are many factors like the focal length of the lens, camera model and lens that can modify your image.
- Digital specialists prefer to correct lens distortion by using an automatic process, but still many photographs use the manual process, as it allows a better result.
- It is necessary to have software that will ease your work in this matter, so you will find the best lens correction tools along with other outstanding features.
- You may be curious to find more about similar software in our Digital Photo Hub, so be sure you check on them.
Software that corrects lens distortion for Windows will let you easily correct lens distortion issues, and the process is usually both manual and automatic as well. Various automated and manual procedures are used by such tools depending on the types of photos that have to be fixed. Some of the programs are dedicated lens distribution correction ones, and others are Image editors that come packed with lots of options for adjusting lens distortion.
The automatic processes used by these tools to correct lens distortion are based upon image content or other elements such as the lens, the focal length of the lens, camera model and make and more.
The manual processes allow you to fine-tune the image manually using all kinds of sliders. Almost all programs that let you fix image distortion provide the option to preview the final result. We gathered five such tools to help you make your decision easier, so make sure you check out their features and advantages before making the final decision.
Adobe Photoshop (recommended)
Photoshop is the best software in the photo editing industry that comes with a lens correction tool. You will be able to use this layer supported image editor to manage, edit, customize and make your pics more beautiful than ever. The feature that corrects lens distortion effortlessly is available along with other handy options that allow you to add lens distortion. Check out some other features that are included in Adobe Photoshop:
- The program’s interface is interactive and you can find easily the tools that you want.
- After you load a photo on the program’s interface, you have to go to Filter – Lens Correction – Custom Tab – Auto Correction panel that will allow you to adjust the Edge option. With the help of these tabs you will correct lens barrel or pincushion distortion.
- You will also be able to watch changes that are being made to your photo in real-time as you adjust the sliders.
- The preview and grid panel has the advantage of making it easy to correct lens distortion.
- Here’s what you can correct and adjust: Fix Fringe, Vignette Amount, Vertical and Horizontal Perspective, Angles and Scale.
- You also have the possibility to choose what to do with the pixels that are lying outside the corrected area.
- Photoshop is advanced software that helps you blur efficiently, customize due to Warp tool, edit with new gradients, patterns, and shapes as well as improving the workflow through intuitive Properties panel.
This is a powerful option that will offer you more than 100 utilities which are much faster compared to other open-source editing features that are available on the current market. Because designers build its interface, it will turn out an effortless to use interface. In order to maximize the use of Adobe Photoshop, you can benefit from a huge amount of tutorials and learning materials offered by Adobe.
IMADIO’s Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In
IMADIO’s Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In allows you to see the whole hemisphere without the distortion, according to the software’s official website. This handy tool promises to automatically remap your fisheye images in order to minimize distortion and maximize the preservation of all your photos’ details. Check out just a few of the best and most exciting features that you will be able to enjoy if you decide to use this tool:
- IMADIO’s Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In is a set of plug-in filters for Photoshop and Photoshop plug-in compatible apps; it’s also great for Lightroom and more tools, and it corrects hemispheric fisheye lens distortion.
- This tool will offer an aesthetically pleasing and natural view of the images via a unique mapping technology.
- You will be able to enjoy a more normal view of people because their faces and bodies will not be distorted anymore.
- This tool also straightens vertical lines.
- IMADIO’s Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In offers an improved resolution of the images, and it also displays the intended composition and framing much better compared to other software.
- The tool’s most important feature is that it does not distort people and it preserves a natural look.
You can find out much more information about this tool if you head over to its official website and take a look around. There is a lot of detailed info on the website and various examples of how this software works and what it can do. IMADIO’s Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In is one of the best software that corrects lens distortion that you can possibly find out there.
DxO ViewPoint is the latest version of DxO Labs’ volume deformation and perspective correction tool. This can successfully be used as a standalone app and as a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop as well and for more popular programs. Take a look at the most important features that are included in this amazing piece of software:
- The major features include automatic distortion correction via the tool’s Optic Modules.
- There’s also the possibility for manual distortion correction as well.
- This software also includes a new 8-point perspective correction tool.
- On the software’s official website, you will find a detailed guide that covers both automatic and manual correction of distortion that will be easy to understand even by beginners.
- The guide also teaches users about various corrections such as volume deformation and perspective that will allow high-quality results.
- After you corrected your image and it became as you wanted it to, you will be able to save it.
- With this latest version of the software, you will get the chance to effortlessly correct perspectives and fix all distorted elements that are present on the edges of your photos.
Download the trial version of DxO ViewPoint or buy the program to discover all of its features and the fact that it will definitely become your most indispensable companion for your wide-angle lens.
⇒ Get now DxO ViewPoint 2
- Editor’s Note: If you’re interested in other image editing software, check out our wide collection of guides.
RadColor stands for Radial Distortion Correction, and this is a dedicated piece of software targeted at lens distortion correction. It comes with lots of options for correcting distortions that are caused by various camera lenses. This tool provides both automatic and manual correction options, and it offers surprising results. Take a look at the most interesting features that are included in this tool below:
- The automatic lens distortion correction option provides EXIF-based lens distortion correction.
- After you load a distorted picture, you have to select the Profile radio button, and RadCor will detect the EXIF data of the photo.
- You will be able to correct lens distortion in batch as well for specific camera make, lens, and model and for the batch correction, you will not even have to specify the focal length.
- To use the manual lens distortion correction, you will have to select the Radial radio button.
- There are three sliders available for the manual mode, and you will get the opportunity to move the sliders to correct the lens distortion.
- The sliders’ values will depend on the amount of distortion that is present in the image.
- The Fish Eye radio button allows you to correct fisheye lens distortion.
- The Chromatic option allows you to correct photo colors for Red, Green and Blue channels.
- You can also select the Grid option, and this will let you render a grid on your picture which will help you a lot with correcting distortion.
After you get the desired result, you can save your final photo. This is a great software that lets you correct lens distortion so make sure to download RadCor because it’s ideal for both beginners and professional users as well.
- Editor’s Note: If you’re interested in buying a new camera, check out our wide collection of guides.
Last but not least, GIMP is another excellent option that lets you fix your distorted images. This is a powerful open source image editing tool that is available for Windows and more operating systems. One of the greatest tools that are available in this software is, of course, the one that lets you Correct Lens Distortion. Check out some interesting elements and features that are packed in this tool:
- Lens distortion correction in GIMP is straightforward to manage, and it can be performed for images with small to medium lens distortion.
- All the lenses distortion correction in GIMP will have to be performed manually by adjusting a few parameters, but things are really effortless to carry out.
- You will find the lens distortion correction available under Filters – Distorts – Lens Distortion.
- After you load an image with lens distortion, you can use this tool to correct it.
You will be able to make changes in real-time and watch the results in the Preview panel. You can also use this tool to add lens distortion to your images. Check out more features that are packed in this software and download GIMP to see how amazing it works for your photos.
These are our best five picks for tools that can fix lens distortion for your photos. All of them are able to do a great job fixing your photos, so no matter which one you will end up using, you will be extremely pleased. Good luck!
Software to Correct Lens Distortion FAQ:
- How do you fix lens distortion?
With Adobe Photoshop you can fix lens distortion, so you have to find the Lens Correction tab that is situated under the Filter panel. After this, Lens Correction tab will be automatically opened up with an auto-correcting panel.
- How do you distort an image?
You can distort an image by choosing the layer you want to work on, then you have to go to Edit tab then choosing Transform and after that, you have to select “Distort“. In order to obtain the wanted effect, you have to select and drag the corners till the moment the image fits in the laptop screen. Adobe Photoshop can help you with this matter.
- How do you fix barrel distortion in Photoshop?
You can correct barrel distortion by using Remove Distortion tool from Adobe Photoshop. For this, you will have to go to Filter tab and to click on Lens Correction. In the upper-right corner you will find Custom tab, that will help you fix barrel issue.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.