- You can decide whether you want to retire your old, boring sunglasses or not. In any case, custom-tailored sunglasses can only be achieved when using the best sunglass design software.
- Stop your searches as you are in the right place now. Autodesk 3DS Max and Rhino 6 are two of the best software solutions to take into consideration.
- However, graphic designers and artists all praise Adobe Illustrator for a good reason. Give it a go and you may design outstanding eyewear without any technical background.
- Don’t let your energy waste in vain. Take your time to visit our Graphic & Design Software Hub for more innovative tips and tricks.
In order to create beautiful sunglasses design, you will need to use specialized CAD (computer-aided design) software that gives you all the tools you need in order to achieve this task.
You get access to a lot of specialized tools that enable you to perform exact measurements and design your frame in an unlimited number of ways.
You can also use different colors, change the way the hinges work, design the glasses arms in beautiful shapes, etc.
Using a design software before sending the project to be made either by 3D printing or normal manufacturing allows you to maintain full control over the specifications of your design, and to also see a preview of the final product before finalizing the project.
Let’s explore some of the best software tools for PC running Windows.
What’s the best sunglass design software to get?
If you’re ready to find the best sunglass design software, there’s no better fit for the job. The development of Adobe Illustrator began in 1985.
However, it has turned into the most powerful vector graphics editor of the moment.
You need to know from the start that it enables rapid sunglass prototyping and creative collaboration if you want to focus on design exclusively.
This doesn’t mean that the process itself cannot be fun, especially with all the drawing tools that you may use.
One nice thing about working with Illustrator is that the Properties Panel gives context-sensitive info and options about the selected objects.
Feel free to use the software to browse Dropbox files without even downloading them and don’t forget the Creative Suite software integration across Illustrator, Photoshop, and other Adobe apps you enjoy using.
Adobe Illustrator tries to be different from the other tools found below and works on mathematical formulas instead of pixels. Therefore, you may change the size of all your projects according to the need.
These are some of the most interesting Adobe Illustrator key features that you may enjoy:
- Intuitive Pen Tool that lets you match any curves
- Multiple format options to never sacrifice quality in resolution
- Useful keyboard shortcuts to undo, zoom in, zoom out, cut, and paste
- Support for CSV and XML in the Variables Panel
- Countless tutorials and help resources are found in the Home and Learn tab
Autodesk 3DS Max
3DS Max is great design software that can be used in a variety of industries, covering everything from automotive designs, to custom 3D art, to designing custom apparel and accessories.
The features of 3DS Max allow you to create, customize, and also edit your sunglasses design in an unlimited number of ways. With this software, your imagination is truly the limit.
It needs to be mentioned that even though the capabilities of 3DS Max are very close to the other software options we presented above, it is a lot harder to learn if you’re a beginner when it comes to using design software.
Here are some of the best features of 3DS Max:
- Can create a real-life rendering of your virtual model
- Fully compatible with software like Inventor, Revit, Unity, etc.
- MAXtoA integrated plug-in
- Can create OSL maps from simple nodes with Open Shading Language (OSL)
- Wide range of plug-ins and add-ons available in Autodesk store
This software is one of the most used on the market in the field of designing apparel and accessories, and because it offers an incredibly wide range of tools.
Even though Rhino has a bit of a learning curve, especially for those of you who don’t have any experience in working with CAD software, the incredible performance this software has makes it one of the best design software options on the market.
This software allows you to customize the way your sunglasses look with unlimited customization power and also gives you exact measurements for every part of your design.
This simplifies the process of transforming your project into real sunglasses and gives you the power to avoid any measuring mistakes.
This process is done by using the revolutionary double-precision meshes.
After you’ve built your sunglasses design, you can render it in 3D and customize the way it is presented by changing lighting, shadows, and many other factors.
Testing your sunglasses design before sending it to be made reduces overall costs and allows you to have peace of mind knowing that the hinges and lenses will work as designed.
Here are some other useful Rhino features:
- Compatible with all other CAD, CAM, and rendering software
- Able to design complicated 3D shapes without needing too much computer power or skills
- User-friendly interface that helps with the learning curve
Autodesk Alias is a close contender of the previous software we presented, Rhino. This software was created by Autodesk, and it is a very powerful design tool.
Even though it’s intended purpose is the automotive industry, the wide range of features found in this software allows you to create almost anything you can imagine.
Beyond this, Alias’s capabilities can be extended even more by accessing the Autodesk library. As in the case of Rhino, Alias allows you to create models both in 3D and in 2D panels.
Using the 3D design tools need for you to have some experience with using CAD software, but the user-friendly user interface helps you get through the process of learning fast.
You can access the wide range of tutorials Autodesk has available by clicking here.
Here are some of the best features found in Autodesk Alias:
- Can use VR (virtual reality) to simulate the model you created in the real world
- Unlimited editing capabilities – you can draw, edit, design shapes, add textured details, choose materials, etc.
- Customizable keyboard controls – snapping, marking menus, etc.
SolidWorks is another great software that can help you a lot when designing a pair of sunglasses. This software contains a wide range of features that allows you to customize every shape, color, and texture to fit your vision.
Because testing if your designed product is essential, SolidWorks allows you to create amazing real-life renderings of your models and also test it in real life conditions.
The Solidworks database contains an incredible amount of design elements that can be downloaded and easily customized, and it can also estimate the production costs of your product.
You can set up custom polygon geometry that allows you to cover every millimeter of your design perfectly, allows exact measurements of parts and elements, and you can also choose from a good range of material textures and colors.
In order for the rendering to be as exact as possible, you can also set custom material properties, and also custom relations between different elements of your design.
In this article, we explored some of the best software options that give you all the tools you need in order to create beautiful sunglasses design on your Windows PC.
We would love to know what software option you chose and how did it work for you. Please feel free to let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about designing/selling sunglasses
- How do you design sunglasses?
You don’t need to be a pro to design sunglasses. Just download Adobe Illustrator to get started on this right away.
- Can you make money selling sunglasses?
Yes, you definitely can. Buying bulk sunglasses at a low price and reselling them is an option. However, focusing your attention on custom-tailored sunglasses is definitely the way to go.
- How do I start my own sunglasses brand?
Having your own sunglasses brand is a bold move, so start off on the right foot. Research the market and grab the best sunglass design software from this dedicated list.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.