Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Price: $9.99Download now
ABBYY Screenshot Reader is a software application you can download on Windows 10 and Windows 7 to capture your desktop and extract text from images using OCR technology. It’s made by the same team behind ABBYY FineReader.
Whether you’re using your computer for work, study, or just exploring the web, it’s quite convenient to quickly capture the screen with favorite content and save it offline. However, if you need to turn these images into searchable text documents, you have to resort to a specialized software solution like the one offered by ABBYY Screenshot Reader.
It can transform any snapshots or scanned images into editable text files. This way, it becomes your dependable assistant whenever you need to produce quality documentation from regular screenshots.
Overview of ABBYY Screenshot Reader features
- Take screenshots and save images to your PC, copy them to the clipboard, or send them via email
- Capture the full screen, the active window, a custom-drawn region, or timed screen
- Select the text language, which is required for OCR
- Extract all visible text to create text-based documents, including PDFs, websites, and presentations
- Create searchable and editable text after file conversion
- Embed screenshots in your documents, presentations, or reports
- Extract tables from screenshots to create Excel or CSV files
- Supports keyboard shortcuts
- Simple interface and options
- Save images or extract text from screenshots
- Copy to clipboard, save files, send emails
- No forever-free version
- Can't preview the output
- No advanced options
Made for Windows computers only, ABBYY Screenshot Reader is a software program that you can use to transform captured images, videos, PDFs, and other graphical content into text snippets. With its help, you can convert and export files into a wide range of formats, such as Word, Excel, and standard images.
Before reading our ABBYY Screenshot Reader review, check out its editions, system requirements, setup operation, interface, and set of features below.
ABBYY Screenshot Reader free trial
The software application isn’t freeware, but you can evaluate its complete set of options and configuration settings during a 15-days free trial, without any feature restrictions.
Once this period expires, you can either remove the product from your PC or buy ABBYY Screenshot Reader. If you decide to purchase a software license, you have to make a one-time payment only because there are no subscription plans up for grabs.
ABBYY Screenshot Reader system requirements
The setup file of ABBYY Screenshot Reader is pretty large. So, check if your system meets these conditions, particularly if you have a poor Internet connection:
- Processor: 1 GHz or better
- Memory: at least 1024 Mb RAM
- Disk space: about 600 Mb for typical program installation and 700 Mb for optimal program operation
- Video card: 1024 x 768 or better screen resolution
- OS: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Server 2016, 2012, 2012 R2, 2008 R2
- Other: Microsoft Word or Excel for sending captured text directly to these applications
How to install ABBYY Screenshot Reader
Installing this application on your computer takes minimal time and effort. You can choose a setup language, review and agree to the license terms, as well as change the default install path. You can also place a shortcut on the desktop and instruct ABBYY Screenshot Reader to run at every system startup automatically.
ABBYY Screenshot Reader interface
The OCR software solution is wrapped in a simple interface, represented by a small window that shows the capture, language, and send options. This window disappears as soon as you capture content and send it somewhere.
To bring it up again, you have to look for the ABBYY Screenshot Reader icon in the systray and click it. To change the program options, right-click the systray icon, and explore the menu.
Turn images into searchable text with ABBYY Screenshot Reader
Taking everything into account, ABBYY Screenshot Reader turns out to be an excellent piece of software for converting image files into searchable and editable text documents. It can be used for various purposes. For example, you can print driving directions, create technical documentation, or share error messages with tech support.
ABBYY Screenshot Reader is wrapped in a user-friendly interface, supports multiple OCR languages, and comes bundled with intuitive options that anyone can operate. Furthermore, you can check out a comprehensive help manual. It uses minimal system resources.
On the other hand, you can’t preview images or text. In fact, ABBYY Screenshot Reader doesn’t contain any advanced options for users interested in more control over the entire screenshot grabbing process.
FAQ: Learn more about ABBYY Screenshot Reader
- Is ABBYY Screenshot Reader free?
ABBYY Screenshot Reader isn’t free to use, but it offers a 15-days free trial. To continue using the program after this period expires, you have to buy a software license.
- Is ABBYY Screenshot Reader safe?
ABBYY Screenshot Reader is a legitimate piece of software that does what it says: take desktop screenshots and turn them into editable text files. It doesn’t contain malware, so it’s perfectly safe to download, install, and use.
- How to reinstall ABBYY Screenshot Reader?
To reinstall ABBYY Screenshot Reader, remove it from your PC from Control Panel > Apps and Features (Add or Remove Programs), then proceed with the installation steps we provided above.
- Free trial
- screenshot, OCR