GiliSoft USB Lock is a software program for Windows that blocks USB ports to stop malware infections and prevent unauthorized individuals from using your computer.
Malware can spread through various means to reach your PC, and an accessible route is through the USB ports. In the worst-case scenario, your system becomes corrupt beyond recovery, making it impossible to boot your OS.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to block USB ports for unknown devices, especially if you share your computer with other people. This way, you can prevent any infections from spreading through any suspicious USB devices.
You can find a wide range of USB lockers on the web, but few are as good and reliable as GiliSoft USB Lock. It’s a Windows tool that can help you control USB ports and block websites, programs, system utilities, and external devices.
- Block access to USB ports, websites, programs, system utilities, external devices
- Master password with lost password recovery
- Create whitelists of trusted devices
- Easy to use
- Outdated interface
- The free version can't be used for more than 10 minutes
GiliSoft USB Lock system requirements
The tool has low system requirements, making it suitable even for older PCs. Here’s what you need:
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core or better
- Memory: at least 512 Mb RAM
- Hard disk space: 12 Mb or more for installation
- OS: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 (either 32-bit or 64-bit)
GiliSoft USB Lock editions
There’s no forever-free version of this USB locker. Although you can test it for free, all protection components stop working after 10 minutes. That’s barely enough time to evaluate the application properly. Nevertheless, it should give you a clear idea of how it works.
To remove this limitation, you must purchase the full product by opting for one of the three license plans available. It depends on how many computers you want to use GiliSoft USB Lock on and for how long. On the bright side, all license plans come with a 30-days money-back guarantee to give you some peace of mind.
GiliSoft USB Lock installation
It’s easy to install GiliSoft USB Lock on your Windows PC. After picking the installer language, you can create a password to prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing your account. Similar to an email service, GiliSoft offers a password recovery solution if you enter your email address.
This step is strongly recommended, or you might get locked out of your computer if you forget the secret code. In the following wizard step, you can review and accept the license agreement, modify the default setup path, and create program shortcuts. To finalize the installation, it’s required to reboot your PC.
GiliSoft USB Lock interface
You must enter your password every time you launch GiliSoft USB Lock to gain access to the main window with the control center, reports, and logs, as well as password and security settings.
When it comes to the graphical interface, it’s clear that GiliSoft USB Lock is outdated. It has a style similar to older Windows versions. On the bright side, it neatly organizes its entire set of options. You just have to check some boxes to disable various parts of the system.
Excellent locker for USB ports, websites, programs, and devices
Taking everything into account, GiliSoft USB Lock proves to be an excellent software solution for restricting user access to your PC by blocking USB ports, websites, programs, and various devices. It’s straightforward, even for PC users who haven’t operated similar applications before.
Furthermore, after software registration, it’s impossible to uninstall GiliSoft USB Lock without entering the correct password. Therefore, sneaky users wouldn’t be able to get around the blocks by removing the product.
GiliSoft USB Lock applies modifications swiftly and barely affects the system’s performance while running in the background to monitor your PC for unauthorized activity. It’s ideal for all users who must share their PCs with others.
FAQ: Learn more about GiliSoft USB Lock
- How to use GiliSoft USB Lock?
When installing GiliSoft USB Lock, you must enter a password. Make sure to also enter an email address if you forget it. Then, click the empty boxes in the main window, depending on what you want to block. Changes are immediately applied, and the tool should display a confirmation message.
- How to remove GiliSoft USB Lock?
To remove GiliSoft USB Lock from Windows 10, right-click the Start button, go to Apps and Features, select GiliSoft USB Lock, then click Remove. You don’t have to set the password in the trial mode. But it’s required in the full version.
- What’s the best software to block USB ports?
GiliSoft USB Lock is our top choice when it comes to the best software to block USB ports on Windows 10. If you’re interested in alternative utilities, check out SysTools USB Blocker, NetSoftwares USB Block, and USB Disk Manager.
Overview of GiliSoft USB Lock features
- USB and CD Lock
- Disable reading or writing USB disks
- Block access to Android, iPhone, SD cards
- Block non-system drives
- Do not auto-open trusted devices
- Deactivate reading or burning CDs and DVDs
- Create, export, and import a whitelist of trusted devices
- Website Lock
- Create, export, and import a list of blocked websites
- Prevent users from changing the IP address
- Turn off the network adapter to cut off internet access
- Program Lock
- Create, export, and import a list of blocked games or programs
- Disable Registry Editor, Task Manager, or Remote Desktop Connection
- Devices Lock: block access to the printer, modem, COM and LPT, infrared, Bluetooth, 1394
- Reports and logs
- Check out the history of USB activity and filter data
- Inspect logs with denied or allowed access to USB drives
- Find out usage details about whitelisted devices
- Password: add password protection, change the key, set a recovery email address
- Security: if a user enters the wrong password more than 5 times, auto send email notifications or temporarily ban your account for 10 minutes
- USB and CD Lock
- Free trial
- USB lock, port block