Your computer slows down over time, depending on how much you work on it and what type of applications you install. It can be difficult to get it up and running optimally again, the same way it works after a fresh Windows installation. Nevertheless, you can resort to special PC tuneup tools, such as iolo System Mechanic.
iolo System Mechanic is a handy piece of software ready to help improve your computer’s overall performance. This program can detect if anything is wrong with your PC, and it can also clean your device, speed it up, and solve potential issues. It’s one of the best tools to check your HDD health.
- You can use the license on as many computers in your household as you want
- Can make a difference in your PC's performance
- Bundles privacy tools
- Explains PC issues in a clear-cut, straightforward fashion
- Can help you back up your system's registry
- No fully-functional free version available
- The NetBooster component doesn't help much with increasing your Internet connection speed
Keep reading to find out the system requirements, setup, features, limitations, and our iolo System Mechanic review.
iolo System Mechanic system requirements
Before you attempt to deploy this program, you should make sure that your PC meets these requirements:
- Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7 (either 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Minimum 512 Mb RAM (optimal 2 Gb)
- 29 Mb of available hard disk space
- Internet connection (required for license activation)
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or later
- Administrator user account
How to install iolo System Mechanic
Setting up this tool on the target computer can be accomplished in three steps: retrieving the downloader, letting it fetch the installation files, and actually installing this tool. You can customize the installation by changing the destination path, but if you want things done quickly you can just leave it as it is.
When it comes to the user interface, iolo System Mechanic takes a user-friendly approach. It adopts a dark theme with red highlights, making it easy to navigate the main window and locate the key components. If you want to play with the program settings, just press the gear icon shown on the red toolbar on top.
iolo System Mechanic limitations
Unfortunately, iolo System Mechanic doesn’t come for free, although you can download a demo version and try it before you decide to purchase a license. Like other similar software solutions, the demo version of this tool only allows you to scan your device and access an overview of the findings. Additionally, several features are disabled in the demo version, as well.
If you want to actually fix the issues the demo detects, you will need to buy a license, either for System Mechanic, System Mechanic Professional or System Mechanic Ultimate Defense. You should also keep in mind that these demos frequently detect an awful lot of underlying issues just so that purchasing the full version of the product would feel more like a necessity, rather than a fad.
One of the best PC tuneup tools for your Windows PC
Nowadays, it seems like the market is overflowing with magic tools that can take care of everything when your computer decides to act up. On the other hand, some PC users aren’t exactly tech-savvy, so if you fall under this category it’s far safer to let specialized software such as iolo System Mechanic handle things than try fixing stuff on your own.
That just leaves us with the issue of not knowing which program to choose for PC maintenance tasks. In this scenario, you just go with the highest-rated ones since the market also holds a lot of fakes, clones or ineffective tools. Fortunately for you, iolo System Mechanic is one of the tools that you can trust, as it’s not only quite popular but apparently does a pretty good job at keeping everything in line, too. It’s one of the best PC optimization tools for Windows 7.
iolo System Mechanic FAQ
- Is iolo System Mechanic an antivirus?
Although it can increase your PC’s security, System Mechanic isn’t an antivirus. Instead, it’s one of the best tuneup utilities for Windows 10. However, if you’re a fan, you can check out System Mechanic Professional and System Mechanic Ultimate Defense. These editions have anti-malware, anti-spyware, and antivirus components.
- Does iolo System Mechanic update drivers?
The latest version of System Mechanic can’t update your PC’s drivers, despite the fact that older versions could. System Mechanic can detect holes in your security system and attempt to plug them with the latest patches. However, you can still check out the best driver updater tools for Windows 10.
- Is iolo System Mechanic free?
No, iolo System Mechanic is not free to use, especially if you’re after its whole set of features. While it provides you with a free version that you can try, this edition is severely limited, as described in our review.
Overview of iolo System Mechanic features
iolo System Mechanic standard version:
- Fix issues in your Windows Registry
- Detect startup apps and disable the ones you don’t really need (can improve the Windows boot time)
- Perform quick or in-depth scans of your computer
- Kill resource-draining background services and processes
- Boost the performance and stability of your processor, memory, and hard disk
- Clean up junk files to make room for important items
- Wipe chat and Internet history to protect your privacy
- Remove the cache files that clutter your hard drive
- Defragment, optimize, and back up your system registry
- Speed up your file downloads
- Disable intrusive Windows personal data collection services
- Free, but limited
System Mechanic Professional:
- Use a powerful antivirus and antispyware engine to keep your PC safe
- Recover lost or deleted photos, emails, and other types of files
- Securely wipe data to make sure it can’t be recovered by unauthorized individuals
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense:
- Protect your online privacy by blocking access to your sensitive Internet data using Privacy Guardian
- Manage all your important passwords in a safe place using ByePass
- Locate and eliminate all types of malware from your PC using Malware Killer
- Free trial