- If you're concerned about your computer resources, you must aim for a small footprint antivirus.
- We've listed below an app that offers comprehensive protection against spyware, viruses, worms, adware, and rootkits but with low CPU usage.
- A free solution with a built-in VPN to protect your online privacy is also a good choice.
- You can find in our guide a lightweight antivirus coming from Total Security, with predefined settings and an intuitive interface.
Some antivirus software is known to slow down devices while scanning or undergoing other activities on the system.
They eat a lot of resources. This issue has been a great concern with many antivirus software users.
However, there are some very good antivirus programs that require little resources, lead to low CPU usage, and don’t slow down the speed of your PC.
They also offer maximum protection against viruses and malware. In this post, we have compiled a list of antivirus software that falls into this category.
What’s the best antivirus with low CPU and resource usage?
ESET is a PC protection company that has been in operation for about two decades now.
ESET Internet Security is an antivirus software compatible with the Windows OS and uses very little of your computer’s resources.
Its main features are:
- It offers comprehensive protection against spyware, viruses, worms, adware, and rootkits
- Protection for removable media such as external hard drives and USB flash drives
- Gaming mode blocks unwanted pop-ups and intrusions during gaming activities
- A snapshot of system changes is captured by the SysInspector to track system changes and for tech support use
- Tech support consists of video tutorials, email, forums, as well as phone support, and live chat
ESET Internet Security
ESET Internet Security has over 110 million users worldwide and can uses only very small amount of resources.
At first use, Bullguard might seem a little too over-protective, having the tendency to throw false positives that can get in the way of legitimate activities.
But overall, this antivirus software continually scans code for signature and all kinds of anomalies that are associated with malware and provides you intelligent triple layer protection.
Any detected malware is quarantined and then neutralized before the infection can even begin.
Further features include:
- Recognition of trusted applications and sites
- Home network scanning
- Improved firewall with added layers of heavy-duty protection against intruders and malware, to block unauthorized attempts to connect a device to the Internet
- Continuous vulnerability scanning to notify you whenever a device needs updating
- Easy installation; 24/7 free expert support
With BullGuard, you keep your web traffic protected and your device working at optimal speed.
Avira is a free antivirus solution for Windows computers. It protects you from major threats with little use of system resources.
Besides being a reliable and comprehensive cybersecurity app, it protects your privacy thanks to its free VPN. Additionally, it has a tool to help you clean your PC.
Furthermore, you can use the Password Manager tool to easily secure your online accounts with strong, unique passwords you don’t need to remember.
Some important features:
- Free VPN included
- Speed booster to improve your PC performance
- Identity protection
- Anti-Scam protection tool
Use a comprehensive cybersecurity solution to protect your computer that uses few of its resources.
The VIPRE Antivirus Plus tool uses very few resources and offers maximum protection against ransomware and other emerging threats, viruses, Trojans, and more.
It’s easy to use, and quickly selects or schedule scans, it checks for current definition updates, customizes how patches are applied.
This great antivirus blocks malicious activity, stops any snooping or data theft attempts, and warns you immediately.
Here are the key features of VIPRE Antivirus Plus:
- Real-time Protection
- Ransomware Protection
- Unlimited VPN for All Devices
- Automatic Updates
VIPRE Antivirus Plus
VIPRE Antivirus Plus helps you to provide total protection for your PC against malware threats with few resources.
TotalAV is one of the best antivirus with a low system footprint is an entry that very much deserves its place.
However, despite a low-resource footprint being its highlight, this antivirus does its job. It runs silently in the background, and only performs system scans when it is absolutely necessary.
More so, the service is available for pretty much any OS, as you can get it to get protection for your PC, tablet, smartphone, and more.
Here are some perks of using TotalAV:
- Remote Firewall
This antivirus tool will run in the background, making sure that your PC is constantly protected without slowing it down.
F-Secure SAFE is the best for browser protection and also has one of the best antivirus software for Windows. This security software utilizes only a small part of your computer’s resources.
In addition, it can protect your devices from ransomware, Trojans, and viruses and keeps all your banking connection secured.
Other features are:
- Instant notification immediately viruses are detected
- Device finder to locate, lock or erase missing device
- It effectively manages users and devices
F-Secure brings you 30 years of protection experience and works even with the smallest amount of resources.
The Panda Dome antivirus software is compatible with Windows OS an is, again, a low resource antivirus.
Panda utilizes cloud processing to protect PC thereby removing the need for heavy software updates and demanding scans.
The AV-Test records offered Panda a 98% score for zero-day attacks and 100% for established threats.
Other extensive features are:
- A process monitor allows you to see active processes and if they are using a secure connection
- It also contains a handy vaccination tool that checks attached USB drives for malicious software
- If PCs get locked by a malicious program, Panda can immediately create an emergency rescue USB drive that enables you to scan the affected machine
Panda Dome offers excellent protection even on scarce resource PCs or old sistems.
360 Total Security is an ideal antivirus with low resource devices and well as for older systems running on Windows OS, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1, 10.
It makes use of several engines to provide the best protection against Trojans, viruses, and rootkits.
Key features include:
- Comes with four predefined settings: performance, security, balanced, and custom.
- The interface is simple and easy to use.
- It offers protection for three main sections: Internet browsing, privacy, and system vulnerabilities.
- It scans multiple potentially vulnerable areas such as the main applications, system’s settings, the running processes, the startup items, and the system’s critical files.
This Indonesian antivirus security software is good for slow computers and compatible with the Windows OS. It is a low-resource antivirus.
Smadav uses only a small part of your computer’s resources. This software offers additional Protection for your PC and compatible with other antivirus products.
The main features include:
- Detecting and cleaning viruses, thereby improving security in your PC
- Protection for USB Flashdisk
- Cleaning the USB Flashdisk, and restoring the infected files in the USB Flashdisk
Avast Free Antivirus is another antivirus with low resource utilization. This antivirus software is very good for your PC and other devices. In addition, it is free antivirus software.
This antivirus removes all sorts of viruses and other malware. In order to achieve maximum security, Avast Free Antivirus will also analyze unknown files in order to prevent malware infection.
Avast Free Antivirus automatically detects weaknesses in your Wi-Fi and unwanted connections on your network.
Thanks to the Behavior Shield, Avast Free Antivirus will keep an eye on your apps and report any suspicious behavior.
Key features include:
- Do Not Disturb Mode for gaming
- Behavior Shield that keeps an eye on your software to make sure they don’t suddenly change
- Lightweight antivirus
- Protects your home network against intruders
All the antivirus software listed here are reliable and are easy to find, install, and manage. They use very few resources and offer maximum protection against viruses and malware.
If you want to discover more software to protect your devices, check our guide including the best lifetime license antivirus tools.
Which one do you prefer? Tell us in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
There was a lot of progress in the past years to address clients that use the less performant system. You can install any of these great antiviruses that have low CPU usage.
Depending on what features you’re interested in, take a look at our guide including the best free antivirus programs.
If you have an old computer, we recommend you to check our guide including the best lightweight antivirus software.