- Twitch is one of the biggest game-oriented streaming services in the world.
- Users reported a Something went wrong error, and this guide will show you some fixes.
- To read more about this amazing service, check out our dedicated Twitch Errors Hub.
- Avid Gamers might also like to check out our dedicated Gaming section.
Twitch is a popular streaming service for gamers, however, many users reported Something went wrong message when using Twitch. This issue affects both PCs and Xbox One, so today we’ll show you how to fix this problem.
How can I fix Something went wrong Twitch login error?
- Check if it is a temporary issue
- Clear Xbox Cache
- Reinstall the Xbox Twitch App
- Disable VPN
- Contact Twitch Support
- Factory Reset Your Xbox
1. Check if it is a temporary issue
Twitch users may experience Something went wrong error if the Twitch servers are down for maintenance. You can check the official Twitch website for the current status.
Also, keep an eye on Twitch subreddit on Reddit as well as other Twitch communities to make sure you are not the only one with the error.
If the problem is on Twitch’s end, it will be resolved in a few hours most of the time.
2. Clear Xbox Cache
If the error is occurring on your Xbox console, you may try clearing the cache. By clearing the cache, you can resolve temporary issues that are causing Something went wrong Twitch error. Here is how to do it.
- Press and hold the Power button to shut down the console.
- Once it is off, unplug the power cable.
- Plug in the power cable. Wait for the power adapter’s LED indicator change from white to orange.
- Press the power button on the Xbox to turn it on.
Unlike your smartphone or PC, there is no GUI based cache cleaning system for Xbox. By following the above steps you hard reboot the console which also deletes the cache during the power cycle.
3. Reinstall the Xbox Twitch App
Reinstalling the Twitch app may remove any corrupted entries and fix any Something went wrong error.
To uninstall the Twitch app, do the following:
- From Home, select My games and apps, and then select See all.
- Select the Twitch app and press the Menu button (three horizontal bars) on your controller.
- Select Manage game and add-ons and select Uninstall all.
- Reboot your Console and install a fresh copy of the Twitch app from the store.
4. Disable VPN
If you are using a VPN and getting Something went wrong error while logging in, the possibility is that Twitch may have blocked your account or suspended it.
Twitch has region-restricted content, and some users try to bypass the restrictions using premium VPNs. However, Twitch may block any account suspected of using a VPN to access its services.
Disconnect your VPN and try to login to the Twitch app. If it works, you may have to look for another VPN provider or use the service without one.
If you’re looking for a fast and reliable VPN, you might want to try out CyberGhost VPN.
5. Contact Twitch Support
Twitch may suspend user accounts due to one or multiple suspected account violations. In such a situation, the user may reach out to Twitch support and ask them to unsuspend the account.
Twitch may ask you to provide proof of identification in order to confirm the account ownership.
6. Factory Reset Your Xbox
If nothing seems working, and you’re still getting Something went wrong error as the last resort you can try to factory reset your Xbox console to set it back to the default settings. Factory resetting the Xbox will delete all the games and apps installed. However, your game data can be restored from the cloud. Here is how to do it.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Go to System and open Settings.
- Open System and click on Console Info.
- Under ConsoleInfo, select Reset Console.
- Under Reset Console, there are two options:
- Reset and Remove Everything
- This option will completely remove all the data from your console.
- Reset and keep my games and apps
- This option will remove only the setting but keep your games and apps.
- Reset and Remove Everything
- Select Reset and Keep my games and apps option. If that does not resolve the problem, select Reset and Remove Everything.
That’s it! The Twitch Something went wrong error can be caused by the developer’s end as well as user specific. Make sure you follow the solutions in this article to fix the Twitch error on your console and PC.
FAQ: Learn more about Twitch
- What is Twitch?
Twitch is on an online streaming platform dedicated to gamers. It has both an online client as well as a downloadable desktop client that you can install on your PC.
- What browser is best for Twitch?
Twitch is also available as a web client, but not all browsers are optimized for Twitch streaming.
- What can I use to create Twitch streams?
While Twitch does come with all the tools you may need to create streams from scratch, there is always room for improvement. Check out this list of the best software to use for creating Twitch streams.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.