Fix Sound card issues
A sound card (also known as an audio card) is an internal computer expansion card that facilitates the input and output of audio signals to and from a computer under control of computer programs. The term sound card is also applied to external audio interfaces that use software to generate sound, as opposed to using hardware inside the PC. This expansion card produces sound through speakers or Headphones.
Sometimes we can use audio card and soundboard as synonyms of Sound card.
Sound cards give the audio component to multimedia applications, for example, music composition, editing video or audio, games, presentation and video projection.
The sound card can be also integrated onto the motherboard. We can still refer to the integrated sound system as a sound card.
We can define four major components in Sound cards:
- The digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which converts digital data to analog sound
- The analog-to-digital converter (ADC), which makes digital recordings from analog sound inputs
- An interface to connect to the motherboard, generally using Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI)
- Input and output connectors so you can plug in devices such as headphones, speakers or a microphone
On some sound cards, the two types of converters are integrated into the CODEC a single coder/decoder chip.
Frequent issues with sound cards
When a Computer has no sound it’s possible that sound card is disconnected from its port or can be something software related that’s stopping playing sounds.
- Check the volume of anything you’re trying to listen to, isn’t muted.
- Also, make sure that the system sound isn’t muted
- if the sound card itself is disabled in Device Manager, it could disabling the sound
- Another reason for a sound card not giving sound could be related to a missing or corrupt device driver. the best method to resolve this issue is to install the sound card driver.
Here are some articles that can help you fix sound issues on Windows PC:
- Full Fix: Sound Problems in Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- FIX: Lenovo B590 sound not working
- Fix: Windows 10 Facebook app has no sound
- FIX: Sound is not working in Windows 10, 8.1
- FIX: Windows 10 sound increases automatically
- Fix: No Sound from Cortana in Windows 10
- Fix sound recording problems in Windows 10
- No sound after AMD driver update on Windows 10 PC
- [Fix] No sound after adding a second monitor
- FIX: Computer screeching sound on Windows 10 PC
- [FIX] No sound after installing NVIDIA Graphics Drivers
- Fix: No sound from headphones
Best sound card options for your PC
- Looking for a USB Sound Card? Here are 10 with 7.1 surround sound
- The 5 best sound cards for Windows 10
- 5 best sound logging software to measure sound characteristics
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]