SOLVED: State of Decay 2 error code 10 on PC
Lately, there’s a lot of games trying to ride a trend of survival-zombie-apocalyptic scenery. And we can say that State of Decay 2 has something to offer to this genre. Especially because it offers great multiplayer co-op experience (up to 4 players in a team) and RPG elements. Now, the first is probably the main selling card of the game and the issues, like error code 10, substantially diminishes the likability of the game. Namely, users who were seeing this error weren’t able to connect and play with friends.
We made sure to provide you with possible solutions for the error at hand. If you’re seeing it too much for your liking (once is already too much), make sure to check the steps we provided below.
How to address the error code 10 on State of Decay 2 for Windows 10
1: Update Windows
The issues for some users started after a certain Windows Update. When something like this occurs, you can do two things. Firstly, you can uninstall the latest update and move from there. An alternative in this scenario is to update Windows 10 and, hopefully, there’ll be a patch which addresses the game issues.
We all know how much Windows Updates, especially lately, affect Microsoft Store and its respective games. Lots of crashes and errors are somewhat related to Windows 10’s latest releases. As always, we’re more keen to recommend the second scenario, but you can do as you wish.
- READ ALSO: How to fix Game DVR issues on Windows 10
Follow these steps to update Windows 10:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Check and click on ‘Check for updates‘.
- Click on the ‘Check for updates‘ button under Windows Update.
- Install all updates and restart your PC.
- Try running State of Decay 2 again.
2: Check Firewall
Allowing the game to communicate freely through Windows Firewall is of the utmost importance. That should be automatically administered after the game’s installed. However, due to the Peer-2-Peer nature of the game, there are some additional tweaks you’ll need to follow through. Namely, this game requires a common inbound/outbound set of rules.
- READ ALSO: How to open firewall ports in Windows 10
We say ‘common’, but there’s a chance that, for some reason, your machine is configured in a different manner. In order to connect to a co-op multiplayer mode with other players, we recommend resetting Firewall privacy to default values.
Follow these instructions to reset Firewall Policy for inbound/outbound connections:
- In the Windows Search bar, type CMD and open Command Prompt as admin.
- In the command-line, type the following command and press Enter:
- The inbound policy should be allowed and the outbound not. Otherwise, copy-paste this command and press Enter to reset the rules:
- Reboot PC and start the game again or run the troubleshooter below.
3: Run Troubleshooter
Besides the usual troubleshooting tools, Windows 10 offers a specific troubleshooting tool for Microsoft games. And luckily, State of Decay 2 is in this category. This tool will check on your latency, compatibility, and connectivity. Furthermore, if there’s any problem, it should resolve it — as long as it concerns the multiplayer segment. Since the error code 10 prevents players from joining to a multiplayer campaign, this built-in troubleshooter just might come in handy.
Here’s how to run Xbox Networking troubleshooter on Windows 10:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Choose Gaming.
- Select Xbox Networking from the left pane.
- The troubleshooter will scan for network compatibility.
- Click ‘Fix it‘ if there are problems found.
4: Troubleshoot connection
As we said in the previous point, this error is instigated by network issues. Whether the problem is on your side or the game itself is causing it, we can’t be sure. Now, in order to make sure you’re (or your PC, rather) not the one to blame for the issue, we recommend a detailed connection troubleshooting. These steps might differ depending on your router/modem, but you can easily google it and find the instructions for port forwarding and how to enable UPnP and QoS.
Here’s the list of some common steps you should follow when troubleshooting Windows 10 connectivity/network issues:
- Switch to a wired connection.
- Check server status, here.
- Restart your modem and/or router.
- Flash DNS.
- Update router/modem firmware.
- Consider configuring Port Forwarding and UPnP on the router.
5: Fix Teredo adapter
Most of the users won’t need Teredo Tunneling adapter. Never. However, in order to communicate on Xbox Live and play Microsoft’s multiplayer games, you’ll need to install it. Or rather: enable it, as it’s already there as the part of the legacy driver suite which comes with the system. Basically, if you want to play State of Decay 2 or similar games, you’ll need a Teredo adapter up and running.
Now, seemingly, it’s not as simple to install it as we initially thought. You can use Device Manager and add a Legacy driver but, more times than not, it won’t work. What you’ll need to do to get this matter straight is running certain commands in the elevated Command Prompt.
Follow these steps to enable Teredo adapter in Windows 10:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- In the command line, type the following commands one-by-one and press Enter after each:
- The Teredo Tunneling adapter should pop-up in the Device Manager, under the Network adapters section.
- Restart your PC and update Windows 10 again.
With that, we can conclude this article. Hopefully, you were able to fix the error code 10 in State of Decay 2 with one of the aforementioned steps. And if that’s not the case, make sure to post the ticket and wait for the resolution as the issue is, likely, on the other side. Either way, feel free to share your experience with us. You can do so in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- What to do if PUBG won’t start after update
- Fix: Windows 10 Game bar not opening
- Discounted Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and 10 Apps, Games This Week
Game stuttering is the irregular delays between GPU frames that can have a notable impact on gameplay. A game that stutters will feel slow, or […]
Facebook is reportedly maintaining a list of user data taken directly from their accounts. You might be surprised to know that Facebook’s ex-employees and existing […]
Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality headsets combine VR and AR for gaming and 360-degree video. There are currently more than 2,500 mixed reality games on the […]