- State of Decay 2 is a pretty popular survival game that offers a great multiplayer co-op experience.
- If you received the error code 10, you can't play the game but this guide will help fix it.
- We wrote a couple of guides about this game so check our dedicated State of Decay 2 page.
- Explore our Gaming Hub for more interesting titles, guides, and tips.
Lately, there’s a lot of games trying to ride a trend of survival-zombie-apocalyptic scenery. And we can say that State of Decay 2 has something to offer to this genre.
Especially because it offers a great multiplayer co-op experience (up to 4 players in a team) and RPG elements.
Now, the first is probably the main selling card of the game, and the issues, like error code 10, substantially diminishes the likability of the game.
Namely, users who were seeing this error weren’t able to connect and play with friends.
We made sure to provide you with possible solutions for the error at hand. If you’re seeing it too much for your liking (once is already too much), make sure to check the steps we provided below.
How can I fix State of Decay 2 error code 10 on Windows 10?
- Check the Firewall
- Update Windows
- Run the Troubleshooter
- Troubleshoot the connection
- Fix the Teredo adapter
1. Check the Firewall
- In the Windows Search bar, type cmd and open Command Prompt as admin.
- In the command-line, type the following command and press Enter:
netsh advfirewall show currentprofile
- The inbound policy should be allowed and the outbound not. Otherwise, copy-paste this command and press Enter to reset the rules:
netsh advfirewall set currentprofile firewallpolicy blockinbound,allowoutbound
- Reboot PC and start the game again or run the troubleshooter below.
Allowing the game to communicate freely through Windows Firewall is of the utmost importance. That should be automatically administered after the game’s installed.
However, due to the Peer-2-Peer nature of the game, there are some additional tweaks you’ll need to follow through. Namely, this game requires a common inbound/outbound set of rules.
We say ‘common’, but there’s a chance that, for some reason, your machine is configured in a different manner.
In order to connect to a co-op multiplayer mode with other players, we recommend resetting Firewall privacy to default values.
There’s a great chance that even your antivirus is causing this issue so try to disable it temporarily, or, if the issue persists, uninstall it completely.
If you got rid of any traces of the old antivirus, try to run the game again. If the problem was fixed, that means we found the culprit.
It’s not safe to keep your PC unprotected although after uninstalling the antivirus, you will still have protection from Windows Defender.
However, you will need more powerful protection and we recommend VIPRE Antivirus Plus which is a lot more reliable and doesn’t produce any such inconvenience with your games.
And because you’re a gamer, you will like the fact that VIPRE can prevent your webcam and microphone from being hacked into by denying all external access attempts.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusVIPRE will leave your games alone and allow them to update but still keep your PC protected.
2. Update Windows
- In the Windows Search bar, type Check and click on Check for updates.
- Click on the Check for updates button under Windows Update.
- Install all updates and restart your PC.
- Try running State of Decay 2 again.
The issues for some users started after a certain Windows Update. When something like this occurs, you can do two things. Firstly, you can uninstall the latest update and move from there.
An alternative in this scenario is to update Windows 10 and, hopefully, there’ll be a patch that addresses the game issues.
We all know how much Windows Updates, especially lately, affect Microsoft Store and its respective games. Lots of crashes and errors are somewhat related to Windows 10’s latest releases.
As always, we’re keener to recommend the second scenario, but you can do as you wish.
3. Run the Troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Choose Gaming.
- Select Xbox Networking from the left pane.
- The troubleshooter will scan for network compatibility.
- Click Fix it if there are problems found.
Besides the usual troubleshooting tools, Windows 10 offers a specific troubleshooting tool for Microsoft games. And luckily, State of Decay 2 is in this category.
This tool will check on your latency, compatibility, and connectivity. Furthermore, if there’s any problem, it should resolve it — as long as it concerns the multiplayer segment.
Since the error code 10 prevents players from joining a multiplayer campaign, this built-in troubleshooter just might come in handy.
4. Troubleshoot the connection
In order to make sure you’re (or your PC, rather) not the one to blame for the issue, we recommend a detailed connection troubleshooting.
These steps might differ depending on your router/modem, but you can easily google it and find the instructions for port forwarding and how to enable UPnP and QoS.
Here’s the list of some common steps you should follow when troubleshooting Windows 10 connectivity/network issues:
- Switch to a wired connection.
- Check server status on the dedicated game website.
- Restart your modem and/or router.
- Flush DNS.
- Update router/modem firmware.
- Consider configuring Port Forwarding and UPnP on the router.
5. Fix the Teredo adapter
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- In the command line, type the following commands one-by-one and press Enter after each:
set teredo client
- The Teredo Tunneling adapter should pop-up in the Device Manager, under the Network adapters section.
- Restart your PC and update Windows 10 again.
Most of the users won’t need Teredo Tunneling adapter. Never. However, in order to communicate on Xbox Live and play Microsoft’s multiplayer games, you’ll need to install it.
Or rather enable it, as it’s already there as the part of the legacy driver suite which comes with the system. Basically, if you want to play State of Decay 2 or similar games, you’ll need a Teredo adapter up and running.
Now, seemingly, it’s not as simple to install it as we initially thought. You can use Device Manager and add a Legacy driver but, more times than not, it won’t work.
What you’ll need to do to get this matter straight is running the commands listed above in the elevated Command Prompt.
With that, we can conclude this article. Hopefully, you were able to fix the error code 10 in State of Decay 2 with one of the aforementioned steps.
And if that’s not the case, make sure to post the ticket and wait for the resolution as the issue is, likely, on the other side.
Either way, feel free to share your experience with us. You can do so in the comments section below.