- Steam Family Sharing is a feature that allows multiple users to share the same account from different PCs, but it seems like it is sometimes not working.
- The first thing to do is to de-authorize and authorize the shared Steam library.
- In order to fix this issue, you can try and verify the integrity of Steam Files.
- If Steam Family Sharing is not working as expected, you should probably run an SFC scan.
Steam Family Sharing lets up to 5 users access Steam games from up to 10 different computers. We published a guide on adding friends on Steam, but users have complained that Steam family sharing is not working for them.
Steam Family Sharing is a great feature that can be used by any gamer. If you don’t already know, this allows users to share their games with friends and families.
If you also experience this issue where your Steam family sharing stopped working, read this post to the end for solutions for resolving this error.
What is Steam Family Sharing?
Keep in mind that Steam just sometimes automatically disables the shared library function, which can determine Family Sharing to not work.
In addition, the problem can also be related to the integrity of your files. In this case, you should verify this integrity.
With this option, the app will compare the files on your PC with the ones on the Steam servers. In case some files are different, they’ll be changed or repaired.
Now, let’s see what you can do if Steam Family Sharing is not working.
What can I do if Steam Family Sharing is not working?
1. Make sure the Library is accesible
- Open the app and click on the Steam button from the top taskbar.
- Choose Settings.
- Click on Family.
- Check the box next to the Authorize Library Sharing on this computer (if that is your target).
- Click on Manage other computers.
- Choose Revoke for the respective PC.
- Repeat the same process for all PCs.
- Run a game on the shared Steam library.
- When the authorization message appears, request acces from that screen.
- Re-authorize the respective PC by clicking the link in the email received.
2. Run an SFC scan
- Hit the Windows key, type cmd, then right-click on Command Prompt, and choose to Run as an administrator.
- Now, in the opened window, input the following command, and press on Enter:
- After the process is completed, close Command Prompt, then reboot your PC.
3. Disable antivirus or exclude SteamApps files
Your antivirus could sometimes flag Steam files as risky and block them. If you experience the Steam library not working problem, disable your antivirus and try again.
Another way to fix this issue if it’s caused by your antivirus is to exclude the file path from the virus scanning. The Steam path is usually located in
4. Verify the integrity of the game files
- Hit the Windows key, type Steam, then open the app.
- From the app’s main menu, navigate to Library.
- Right-click on the game you need, then press on Properties.
- Now, in the Properties window, click on LOCAL FILES.
- and then select the VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE button.
5. Reset the Winsock catalog
- Hit the Windows key, type cmd, then right-click on the first result, and choose to Run as an administrator.
- Enter the following command in Command Prompt and hit Enter to run it:
netsh winsock reset
- Restart your computer to complete the operation and fix Steam.
Sometimes, an updated Winsock catalog can cause Steam family sharing not to work. Resetting Winsock usually solves the problem.
6. Relocate the Steam installation files
- First, make sure you have closed the Steam app.
- Now, right-click on the Steam shortcut, and choose to Open file location.
- Locate the following files SteamApps, Steam.exe, and Userdata.
- Copy these files to a different location.
- Next, delete all the files in the Steam directory.
- Copy the SteamApps, Steam.exe, and Userdata files back to the Steam directory.
Can 2 people play the same game on Steam Family Sharing?
Many users are interested in whether or not 2 people can play the game on Steam Family Sharing and if it’s happening to be in the same boat, we have all the answers you need.
Keep in mind that two people won’t be able to play at the same moment on Steam Family Sharing. A shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time, including the owner.
In addition, do not forget that any user may purchase, trade, earn, or acquire in-game content while playing a. However, in-game items cannot be shared between accounts.
Follow the above solutions when Steam family sharing stops working. Some steps here should be carried out from the borrower’s end and others from the owner.
Did these solutions help you out? How did you repair this issue? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Family Sharing is a feature introduced in Steam that allows family members to share games while keeping their accounts separate. Simply search for the users, and then annotated them as family members.
Yes, family sharing settings allow other Steam accounts, whether on the same PC or two separate ones, to play the games other users have bought.
As long as all users that share an account take note of the safety measure involved, then Steam Family Sharing is a safe feature.