- Steam Chat is one of the most popular ways to communicate with friends and other players on the platform.
- Sometimes, you may have trouble connecting and a simple restart will do the trick to get you back to enjoying chats.
- If this doesn't work, there are some easy fixes available to get you connected once again. For example, try to clear cache and cookies.
If your friend list on Steam is disconnected, you won’t be able to chat with your friends. The Steam friends list is a social feature of the platform. It allows you to see what your friends are playing, get notified when they’re online, and quickly invite them to a game.
Like any other app, Steam is not exempt from occasional glitches. One of the common issues that you may find is that Steam is not responding on your PC.
Other times, it can be quite the bore as Steam games keep lagging preventing you from experiencing the games in their true form.
When it comes to connecting with your friends, if the Steam friend list keeps disconnecting while you are having fun chatting or in the middle of a heated game, it can be quite frustrating.
Sometimes, the friends list disconnects and then reconnects almost immediately you’ll barely notice Steam was down.
Why am I disconnected from friends on Steam?
If you’re not getting notifications from friends or don’t see people on your friend list, it may be because Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam servers.
Some of the common reasons why you are disconnected include:
- Poor internet connection – You may want to check if there are any issues on your network provider’s end, such as maintenance or outages that may be affecting your service. If you’re connected with an unstable connection, your friend list may be grayed out.
- Firewall settings – This can be caused by firewall settings or antivirus software blocking the connection between your computer and Steam. You can try disabling your antivirus or allow Steam as an exception.
- Beta version – If you are using the beta version of Steam, you may have issues connecting to your friend list. The Beta version may not be stable due to the presence of some bugs. Using an outdated version of Steam can also disconnect you from your friends’ list.
- Steam servers – If you’re trying to connect when the server is overloaded, it’s possible that you won’t be able to access your friends’ list. Try again later when fewer people are playing.
- Temporary files – Steam stores temporary files in form of cache and cookies to help it load faster. If you clear your cache and cookies, Steam will have to rebuild its database from scratch again. This may take some time, but it will allow you to reconnect with your friends list without any trouble at all.
If the problem lasts for a while and you’re still having problems, try closing out of Steam completely and opening it again.
This can sometimes help fix disconnections on your friends’ list but if not, proceed to our advanced troubleshooting recommendations.
How can I fix disconnected friends list on Steam?
1. Restart Steam
Restarting Steam will fix most issues related to your friends’ list. Sometimes, Steam being down means you just have to log out of it completely and then relaunch it.
The server may be busy at the moment and you will have better luck connecting when fewer people are trying to use it at once. Sometimes, Steam may just be having issues and a simple restart will do the trick.
2. Clear cache and cookies
- Launch Steam and click on Settings.
- Click on Web Browser, select delete web browser cookies and delete all browser cache then click OK.
- Exit and restart Steam again.
Manually clearing cookies and cache from Steam can be a time-consuming task, therefore we recommend utilizing a dedicated tool to handle it.
The Intelligent Scan tool in the CCleaner allows you to save data from certain websites that you often visit, such as the Steam platform login credentials. CCleaner will properly clear all of your PC’s unnecessary cache and cookies.
3. Check internet connection
Make sure that your computer has an active internet connection. If not, try restarting the router or modem and check if it works after a few minutes.
If there are no problems with the internet connection on your computer, then try connecting another device (iPhone/Android phone) to the same network and see if they work properly.
4. Change Steam properties
- Navigate to the Steam shortcut on your PC and right-click on it to select Properties.
- Click on the Shortcut tab, add -nofriendsui on the Target window and click OK to save it.
- Check if you can access your friends’ list.
5. Exit the beta version
- Launch Steam and click on Settings.
- Select Account, then under Beta participation section, click Change.
- Click on Opt out of all beta programs and press OK.
- Restart Steam again.
We hope that with these fixes, you are able to keep your Steam friends list connected and continue chatting with your friends.
Should you encounter any other additional issues such as Steam games not launching, do not hesitate to refer to our expert guide on the same.
You may also face another common issue where Steam keeps going offline but worry not as we have covered the bases in our comprehensive guide.
Let us know of any other tricks you have used in the past to keep Steam connected in the comment section below.