Some users reported experiencing an issue regarding the connectivity to the Steam servers. When attempting to play games online, they get disconnected after a few seconds. Apparently, Steam goes offline after starting a game.
We managed to come up with a series of solutions in order to help you fix this annoying issue.
Why Steam goes offline when I start a game?
1. Reinstall Steam
- Open Start and locate Steam.
- Right-click on it and choose Uninstall. This will take you to Control Panel > Uninstall a program section.
- Uninstall Steam.
- Download the Steam client, here, and install it as an administrator.
- Make sure to enable Steam Overlay while in game.
2. Allow Steam through Windows Firewall
- Open the Control Panel > go to System & Security.
- Under Windows Defender Firewall, choose to Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change settings > find the Steam app and make sure it has both Public and Private boxes ticked.
- Disable your antivirus software temporarily.
- Press OK > try reloading Steam and see if it fixed the issue.
3. Check your internet connection
- Open your internet browser and check to see if web pages load quickly and without interruption.
- Hard reset on your router/modem.
- Try using a wired connection instead of Wifi as well.
4. Flush the Steam config and DNS
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard > type steam://flushconfig in the Run box.
- Select OK in the Steam question box that pops up.
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard > type cmd in the Run box.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- Log back into Steam and see if this fixed the issue.
5. Update your video adapter driver
- Press the Windows logo button + R on your keyboard > Type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and hit Enter.
- In the Device Manager click to expand the Display Adapters section > Right click on your graphics card and select Update driver.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Approve the download for the updated drivers, then wait for the installation to finish.
- Restart your computer once the installation is finished.
We hope that at least one of our solutions could help you fix the Steam connectivity issue. If you know any other fixes, leave them in the comment section below.
- Steam Chat cannot upload or send images [FIX IT FOR GOOD]
- What to do if Steam doesn’t recognize installed games?
- Steam disconnected by VAC: You can not play on secure servers [Fix]
- Fix the Steam Library Folder not Writable error with these 5 solutions