- Steam Guard is an authenticator app that puts an additional layer of security over your Steam account.
- Some users have reported that the Steam Guard mobile authenticator is not working for them.
- You can apply the different solutions mentioned in this post and possibly fix this issue.
As technology is evolving, our presence on the internet is more at high risk than ever before. Simply protecting your accounts using a password isn’t the most effective way to secure your personal data.
The reason is pretty simple. The majority of people do not use strong passwords to protect their online accounts. While you should set an easy-to-remember password, you should also remember that it could be easy to guess for attackers.
Online gaming is a big industry now, and it involves billions of dollars worth of transactions every year. Steam, the popular cloud-based gaming library, is the one-stop shop for all things related to gaming.
Notably, it also has its very own authenticator app called Steam Guard. Although the Steam Guard works perfectly well in most situations, there are some users who are facing the Steam Guard mobile authenticator app not working issue.
Thankfully, we have this guide exactly for this reason. Here, we will explain some of the effective methods that you can apply and possibly resolve the Steam Guard mobile authenticator not working problem.
Let us check them out.
What is Steam Guard authenticator app and why use it?
Steam Guard is an authenticator app that Steam lets its users use to safeguard their Steam account. It provides an additional layer of security to the account.
It works similarly to how other 2FA authenticator apps work. After you have set up the Steam Guard authenticator app, every time you try to log in to your account, it will generate a code on your smartphone.
You need to enter this code on the Steam login page in order to access your account. The best part about the Steam Guard app is that the generated code lasts for about 30 seconds, after which you need to generate a new code.
Moreover, the code is unguessable and you will receive it either at your email address or on the Steam mobile app on your smartphone.
If you are still wondering why you should use the Steam Guard authenticator app, then you should check out the below list.
- It keeps your Steam account safe, which ultimately saves you thousands of dollars’ worth of games you have purchased.
- The thief would need to possess your physical phone in order to access your Steam account, which makes it more secure than a password.
- If you have valuable in-game purchases, such as in games like Dota2 and CS:GO.
- Using the Steam Guard authenticator, you also get benefits such as the Steam trading functionality or the ability to buy and sell items on the Steam Market.
Let us check out the solutions that you can apply to fix the Steam Guard mobile authenticator not working issue.
How can I fix the Steam Guard not working problem?
1. Restart phone
- Take your phone and long-press the Power button.
- Select the Power off button.
- Turn on your phone by long-pressing the Power button after waiting for about 10 seconds.
Often, a simple restart can do wonders and fix common problems related to mobile apps. You can try this solution to fix the Steam Guard not working problem as well.
2. Check date and time
- Open the Settings menu on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap on System.
- Tap on Date & time.
- Make sure to enable the toggle next to Use network-provided time and Use network-provided time zone.
Here, it is more important to match the date and time on your smartphone with the current time of the country in which you created your Steam account.
3. Update the app
- Open Google Play Store and click on your Profile icon.
- Navigate to Manage apps & device.
- Tap on See details button.
- Click on the Steam app and hit the Update button if there is a new update available.
New updates not only bring new features to the app but also bring bug fixes for the existing bugs within the app.
The Steam Guard mobile authenticator not working issue could be a result of a bug present in the app. So, always ensure that you have the latest version of the app installed on your phone to prevent such issues.
4. Clear app cache
- Open Settings menu on your phone.
- Select Apps & notifications.
- Tap on See all apps button.
- Scroll down and tap on Steam.
- Tap on Storage & cache.
- Hit the Clear cache button.
Cache files are temporary files that are stored on your phone to open the app and its features a bit quicker.
However, these are also junk files that just pile up and, if corrupted, can cause issues such as the Steam Guard mobile authenticator app not working.
So, it is advised that you clear cache files for not just the Steam app but also for other apps as well to avoid such problems.
5. Reinstall app
- Long-press the Steam app icon.
- Select Uninstall.
- Head over to Google Play Store.
- Search Steam in the search bar.
- Install the app.
- Set it up and see if this fixes the issue or not.
6. Check server
Many problems on Steam are often due to server issues from the platform’s end. If that is the case, then there isn’t much that you can do.
What can I do to fix Steam Guard not showing code error?
1. Restart Steam and Steam Guard
- Close Steam by pressing the X or close button at the top toolbar of the app.
- Alternatively, right-click on the Start menu and select Task Manager.
- Select Steam and press End Task button at the bottom.
- Grab your phone, and close Steam Guard app on it.
- Relaunch the Steam Guard app on your phone and the Steam app on your Windows 11 PC.
Start the process, and you should receive the Steam code via email. If not, then try the below solution.
2. Check all your email folders
It is very important to note that Steam will send you the code to your registered email address. And often, the Steam Guard code lands in the Spam folder.
So, make sure to check all the folders such as Spam, Primary, and others. If you are still not able to locate the Steam Guard code, then follow the next solution.
3. Reconnect Steam account
- Open the Steam app and click on your email id button at the top. Select Log out.
- Hit LOGOUT again.
- Again open the Steam app.
- Login with your credentials and check if Steam Guard is showing code or not.
4. Re-enable Steam Guard authenticator
- Open the Steam app.
- Click on Steam at the top-left corner and select Settings.
- Select MANAGE STEAM GUARD ACCOUNT SECURITY button.
- Click on Turn Steam Guard off option.
- Select Disable Steam Guard.
- Steam will send a confirmation to your registered email ID regarding turning off the Steam Guard.
- Click on Disable Steam Guard buton.
Steam Guard is a good way to keep your Steam account secured from online attacks. Since only the owner of the account gets the temporary codes generated by the Steam Guard, your account is less prone to get compromised.
Moreover, if you are using Steam Guard, then you also get access to the trading functionality within the Steam platform. This means you can purchase or sell items on the Steam marketplace.
Let us know your thoughts on this topic in the comments section below. You can also let us know which of the above-mentioned methods helped you fix the Steam Guard mobile authenticator not working issue.