- Because mistakes are common, some users need to fix them by refunding a gift they've sent to someone.
- In this article, you're going to find what to do if you've recently purchased a gift that is now on sale.
- Keep in mind that Steam allows you to refund a gift if it was sent less than 14 days ago, and played for less than 2 hours.
- Today, we'll show you the best method to try if you've purchased the game as a gift, but decided to keep it to yourself
Besides being the world’s biggest video game digital distribution platform, Steam is full of other surprises. You can use it to chat with friends, see their gaming activities and even send them games as gifts.
However, mistakes can happen, and you may sometimes need to refund a gift you’ve sent to someone.
Fortunately, Steam is very understanding when it comes to these types of mistakes.
Thus, they made it an option for you to ask for a refund on a gifted game, as long as certain conditions are met.
In this matter, we’re going to show you how to easily do it.
What are Steam gifts?
If you don’t already know, when purchasing a game on Steam, manufacturers offer the option to gift the item to anyone on your friends’ list.
Then, the recipient will receive the gift as an attractive e-mail card with a personal message from you and instructions to redeem the game.
Keep in mind that a Steam gift purchase is a one-time transfer. So, after the recipient has redeemed and installed the gift, it is now a part of his or her Steam games collection.
Plus, do not forget that you’re allowed to only gift new purchases. In this matter, you won’t be able to transfer games you already own.
How can I become eligible for Steam gifts?
Becoming eligible for Steam gifts is extremely easy. You and your teammates will only have to own active Steam accounts and connect through the app.
You can purchase Steam digital gift cards for any user that you have had on your friends’ list for at least 3 days.
To discover more about the Gift Cards plans, we strongly recommend checking the related Steam official page.
How can I refund a Steam gift?
1. You’ve recently purchased a gift that is now on sale. Can you refund the difference?
- Go to Steam Help and log in with your Steam account.
- Click on A Purchase.
- Type in the name of the purchase you would like to refund
- If you cannot find it, it means it was purchased outside the 14-day refund window and is ineligible for a refund
- Select the problem you are having with it
- Click I’d like to request a refund
- Fill out and then submit your request form
- Wait for the confirmation E-mail
Steam is unable to help you in such a situation. However, a workaround exists in that you can refund the game and receive the full price back.
You can then buy it back at a discounted price. To ask for a refund, follow the above steps.
2. Your friend has already redeemed the game
Steam allows for a gift to be refunded if it was sent less than 14 days ago, and played for less than 2 hours.
More so, the recipient of the gift will have to initiate a refund (same as above) to remove the item from their inventory.
Afterward, you can just follow the steps above to successfully get a refund.
3. You’ve purchased the game as a gift but decided to keep it to yourself
- Hit the Windows key, type Steam, then open it.
- From the main menu, click on Games, then choose to Manage Gifts and Guest Passes.
- Select the game from your Steam inventory, and click Add to my library…
Why can’t my friend receive my Steam gift?
As mentioned before, video games are a very popular gift. Even if Steam knows this as well and has a gift feature, this might sometimes not work as expected.
These are the most common causes that lead to this kind of error:
- You gift was refused: As this is the most common scenario that stays behind this particular problem, you should probably check your email or bank account. The app usually informs if your gift has been refused, and you’re also given a full refund for the purchase.
- The gift is stuck: In this case, you should consider temporary bugs or glitches, so it is better to resend the gift and verify if the issue perssits.
- Game is already owned: Keep in mind that you can not gift a game that is already owned by the receiver, so make sure you check it first.
These steps stay the same regardless of whether you use the classic Steam client or the new Beta version.
By following the steps mentioned above you should be able to get a refund on all gifts you’ve made by accident on Steam.
Of course, you must remember Steam’s conditions, such as the 14-day refund window.
For any additional questions, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the section below.