Besides being the world’s biggest video game digital distribution platform, Steam is full of other surprises.
You can use Steam to chat with friends, see their gaming activity and even send them games as gifts.
However, mistakes can happen, and you may sometimes need to refund a gift you’ve sent to someone.
Fortunately, Steam is very understanding when it comes to these types of mistakes.
Thus, they made it an option for you to ask for a refund on a gifted game, as long as certain conditions are met.
How to refund a gifted game on Steam
1. You’ve recently purchased a gift that is now on sale. Can you refund the difference?
Steam is unable to help you in such a situation.
However, a workaround exists in that you cand refund the game and receive the full price back.
You can then buy it back with the discounted price.
In order to ask for a refund, do the following:
- Go to Steam Help and log in with your Steam account.
- Click on A Purchase
- Type in the name of the purchase you would like to refund
- If you cannot find it, it means it was purchased outside the 14-day refund window and is ineligible for a refund
- Select the problem you are having with it
- Click I’d like to request a refund
- Fill out and then submit your request form
- Wait for the confirmation E-mail
2. Your friend has already redeemed the game
Steam allows for a gift to be refunded if it was sent less than 14 days ago, and played for less than 2 hours.
More so, the recipient of the gift will have to initiate a refund (same as above) in order to remove the item from their inventory.
Afterward, you can just follow the steps above to successfully get a refund.
3. You’ve purchased the game as a gift but decided to keep it to yourself
- Log in the Steam Client
- Click Games
- Select Manage Gifts & Guest Passes
- Select the game from your Steam inventory, and click Add to my library…
These steps stay the same regardless of whether you use the classic Steam client or the new Beta version.
By following the steps mentioned above you should be able to get a refund on all gifts you’ve made by accident.
Of course, you must remember Steam‘s conditions, such as the 14-day refund window.