- Creating step-by-step user manuals, tutorials, and guides will help you send your information easier and will allow your audience to understand your message clearer.
- Specialized software such as StepShot, ScreenSteps, Imago Recorder, and Dr. Explain can help you enhance your instructional presentations in no time.
- Check out our education software section for more similar tools.
- Here you can find more presentation software solutions for your future projects.
Creating step-by-step user manuals, tutorials, and guides will help you send your information easier and will allow your audience to understand your message clearer.
There are a lot of such tools that help you create step-by-step manuals on the market, and we picked five of the best to help you make your decision easier.
Check out their main features because these will help you decide which option is the best for your needs.
StepShot is a simple yet powerful tool that allows you to create detailed step-by-step manuals and procedure guides.
Check out the best features that are included in this program below:
- Using this tool, you will be able to capture the sequence of your steps easily.
- The software will follow your cursor, and every one of your clicks will produce a screenshot.
- You will be able to annotate images with titles and descriptions.
- You will get the chance to add focus to your images with easy and powerful editing tools.
- The software allows you to export documents to PDF, Microsoft Word, HTML pages, XML-based formats, and DITA.
- Using StepShot, you will be able to save up to 90% of the time that you would spend creating software help documentation.
Unlock all the advantages and benefits of StepShot’s tools in order to create user manuals and training guides much faster than ever before, head to this tool’s official website, and check out more features of this amazing software.
ScreenSteps is a program that allows you to capture a picture of each and every one of the steps that are involved in the process that you are trying to demonstrate.
Take a look at the most important features and functionalities that are included in this software:
- ScreenSteps automatically creates a document with each screenshot in the precise order that you have taken it.
- You can use the ScreenSteps built-in annotation and text tools in order to add highlights, arrows, and text as well to complete your tutorial successfully and accurately.
- You will be able to export your final result to various formats including PDF, HTML, WordPress, Microsoft Word, Type Pad, Joomla, Blogger, MindTouch, Movable Type and more.
- Using this tool, you will be able to create a knowledge base for your employees and also create a separate knowledge base for your customers as well.
Overall, using ScreenSteps, you’ll be able to make knowledge bases for various audiences easily. Check out the extended set of features and functionalities that are packed in ScreenSteps on the tool’s official website.
- Editor’s Note: If you’re interested in other education software, check out our wide collection of guides.
Dr.Explain software is a help file authoring program that is able to capture windows from a live app, and it creates screenshots and adds references to all controls.
Check out the best features that you will be able to enjoy if you decide to use this tool:
- The software helps you create files, documentation and online manuals in HTML, CHM, PDF and RTF formats automatically.
- This tool is based on a unique interface analysis and screen capture system.
- Thanks to this system, Dr.Explain will automatically analyze an app’s user interface and take screenshots of all controls and elements.
- You can then add explanatory callouts to all the images in the draft help system.
- Eventually, you will have to add descriptions to these callouts and save the result in the desired format.
Download Dr.Explain for free from the official website and try this tool out for yourself.
Imago Recorder is a tool that can easily record activities of the system operations and that allows you to create step-by-step guides and user manuals for third parties.
Take a look at this tool’s main features below:
- This simple tool records the system’s activity.
- This program enables report content to be saved for later recall and review by a third party.
- You can change various settings in this software, and the result consists of a zipped report with screenshots and a system status that can be sent via email.
You can download Imago Recorder software for Windows and check out what more you can do with the help of this software.
This is a solution that allows you to create know-hows, work instructions, user manuals and more. Dokit makes your documentation accessible with just a few clicks on all media, and it integrates with your existing systems.
Check out the most exciting features that are included in this software:
- Your procedures will be crystal-clear, visual and action-oriented.
- You will be able to use, shorts videos, photos, diagrams, 3D illustrations and more.
- You can use the adapted formats to help your audience understand more technical concepts.
- The procedures shown will illustrate the steps that have to be taken before starting an action.
- You will be able to create user manuals to help your audience make fewer errors.
Go to Dokit’s official website and check out this program to see how it works.
These are the five tools that we picked for creating step-by-step guides and user manuals, and they are all compatible with systems running Windows. Check out their sets of features and decide which one is the best for your needs.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, leave them in the comments section below.
FAQ: learn more about software for step-by-step tutorials
- How to create high-quality step-by-step tutorials?
If you’re confident in your skills, you can freehand the guides by creating your own template and following your own set of rules. However, you might want to turn to specialized software tools, as they can help you get things done in no time.
- What is the best step-by-step tutorial software?
We agreed that StepShot is simply the best software solution to create step-by-step tutorials and instruction presentations. However, you can achieve fantastic results with other tools available on our list, as well.
- Can you include pictures in step-by-step tutorials?
Yes, most of the tools we’ve included on our list have multimedia support. So not only will you be able to include pictures, but also animated GIFs, or even short videos, as well.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.