- Creating step-by-step user manuals, tutorials, and guides will help you send your information easier and will allow your audience to understand your message clearer.
- Using specialized programs you will create instruction guides in a simple manner and explain complex schemes with numbered steps solutions.
- It is almost impossible to fail with logical steps guidance thus you can benefit from this service to scale up your performance rapidly.
- Hesitate no more because tutorials are the most used techniques for explaining any subject in so many human or social contexts.
Creating step-by-step user manuals, tutorials, and guides will help you send your information easier and will allow your audience to understand your message clearer.
Whether you need to create business purpose presentations or just simple guides for certain tasks, step-by-step guides will meet your needs. How? Everybody can understand an explanation with a logical sequence much easier.
You can use dedicated programs to help create your guides quickly with numbered steps, text, images, or media like audio elements or videos.
There are a lot of such tools that help you create step-by-step manuals on the market, and we picked some of the best to help you make your decision easier.
Check out their main features because these will help you decide which option is the best for your needs.
Create step-by-step instructions with these tools
Snagit is software that helps users to create explanatory guides with consecutive instructions, meant to produce some results.
Using this practical program you will finish step-by-step instruction documents in minutes, thus providing how-to guides for anyone that needs support.
It is also reliable as a solution because it provides free templates to use, in order to design comprehensive guides for your colleagues at work. Hence, your instructions can explain certain tasks followed by screenshots for a better understanding.
More so, you have the opportunity to use thousands of templates to create structured reports and customize the guided information to be clear and helpful.
Another great reality about Snagit is the simple creation of instruction guides, following logical steps as selecting images, choosing a template, arranging images with titles or captions, and adjusting images size.
Check out the best features that are included in this tool below:
- All in one screen capture for entire desktop or a region
- Panoramic scrolling capture to take a full page scrolling screenshot
- Grab text from a capture and paste it into other docs
- Screen recorder to catch instructions while going through steps
- Toggle between webcam and screen recorder
- Turn short recordings into animated GIFs
- Record iOS screen in a few taps
Lastly, when your guide is complete you can share in a PDF format, image files, email, or Word documents.
Do the most descriptive and clear instruction guides using intuitive templates, all with this helpful software.
The next solution is a popular layout and design software for digital and print media. InDesign can help you with books, magazines, eBooks, and other graphic projects.
First of all, the program has extensive tools that can help you create every design product, including layouts for your guidelines.
Besides, you can compose many types of digital interactive products such as eBooks that will surely catch the public attention. Plus, you’re able to create visual presentations to share your ideas and creatively explain processes.
Furthermore, to hold a presentation to explain something efficiently, you should follow a few simple rules, like choosing a visual theme, avoiding clutter in your guide, or even inserting video and audio.
Thus your deck will definitely impact your audience positively because of the descriptive data organized in your guides, providing key insights about the topic.
With this being said, such an advanced program deserves a try for creating instruction designs to simplify any processes you may need.
Check out the main features that are included in this program below:
- Unique fonts to make information organised
- Astonishing background images from Adobe Stock
- Paragraph styles for consistent text style
- Drag and drop images or texts
- Finishing touch with sound clips, page transitions and hyperlinks
Check this market-recognized software to improve your instructional designs with strong assets.
StepShot is a simple yet powerful tool that allows you to create detailed step-by-step manuals and procedure guides.
This simple all-in-one solution can help you with documentation manuals to transmit data more efficiently, create user guides, help guides, knowledge base articles, training, and more.
So using this solution you guarantee great tools for creating step-by-step guides for various areas, but more likely it’s oriented for students or even bloggers that require to create logical steps for their guides.
Whats’s more, you don’t need advanced requirements to run this software, regarding your system or know-how, because it follows a simple process and it lets you customize your project just the way you need to transmit it.
Check out the best features that are included in this program below:
- Using this tool, you will be able to capture the sequence of your steps easily.
- The software will follow your cursor, and every one of your clicks will produce a screenshot.
- You will be able to annotate images with titles and descriptions.
- You will get the chance to add focus to your images with easy and powerful editing tools.
- The software allows you to export documents to PDF, Microsoft Word, HTML pages, XML-based formats, and DITA.
- Using StepShot, you will be able to save up to 90% of the time that you would spend creating software help documentation.
Unlock all the advantages and benefits of StepShot’s tools in order to create user manuals and training guides much faster than ever before, head to this tool’s official website, and check out more features of this amazing software.
ScreenSteps is a program that allows you to capture a picture of each and every one of the steps that are involved in the process that you are trying to demonstrate.
This next solution is centered on business purposes and offers a knowledge base hub for employees to reduce mistakes and learn in a logical manner.
Plus, you can do various tasks using such tools, such as dummy-proof guides that simplify the processes, training courses, troubleshooting guides. Everything an employee has to read in order to apply certain tasks, it’s there.
Regardless of your business type, there’s always a need for explanatory guides to give context answers and clarify what your employees ask for, and satisfy their needs.
Therefore, with ScreenSteps is a lot easier to create essential content and manage all the guides you need to share valuable onboarding for new or untrained employees.
Take a look at the most important features and functionalities that are included in this software:
- ScreenSteps automatically creates a document with each screenshot in the precise order that you have taken it.
- You can use the ScreenSteps built-in annotation and text tools in order to add highlights, arrows, and text as well to complete your tutorial successfully and accurately.
- You will be able to export your final result to various formats including PDF, HTML, WordPress, Microsoft Word, Type Pad, Joomla, Blogger, MindTouch, Movable Type and more.
- Using this tool, you will be able to create a knowledge base for your employees and also create a separate knowledge base for your customers as well.
Overall, using ScreenSteps, you’ll be able to make knowledge bases for various audiences easily. Check out the extended set of features and functionalities that are packed in ScreenSteps on the tool’s official website.
Dr.Explain software is a help file authoring program that is able to capture windows from a live app, and it creates screenshots and adds references to all controls.
If you need quick and efficient support to deliver user manuals for your users, this software is highly capable to help you do it within one week.
Hence, it offers valuable tools to create help documents for recurrent questing from users, multiple formats publishing, automating routine actions, and more.
So this software can help not only a technical writer but software developers, marketing experts, QA specialists, and the list goes on.
Check out the best features that you will be able to enjoy if you decide to use this tool:
- The software helps you create files, documentation and online manuals in HTML, CHM, PDF and RTF formats automatically.
- This tool is based on a unique interface analysis and screen capture system.
- Thanks to this system, Dr.Explain will automatically analyze an app’s user interface and take screenshots of all controls and elements.
- You can then add explanatory callouts to all the images in the draft help system.
- Eventually, you will have to add descriptions to these callouts and save the result in the desired format.
Imago Recorder is a tool that can easily record activities of the system operations and that allows you to create step-by-step guides and user manuals for third parties.
This simplistic program does the job perfectly for anyone who needs to record short tutorials for their audience. With a few buttons, it provides all the essentials to just get going.
So, even if the interface will not impress you with its look or features, the functionality is flawless and you will record sharp tutorials for anyone to understand.
Take a look at this tool’s main features below:
- This simple tool records the system’s activity.
- This program enables report content to be saved for later recall and review by a third party.
- You can change various settings in this software, and the result consists of a zipped report with screenshots and a system status that can be sent via email.
This is a solution that allows you to create know-hows, work instructions, user manuals, and more. Dokit makes your documentation accessible with just a few clicks on all media, and it integrates with your existing systems.
You should therefore consider this tool in order to create all the guides your team needs, and also develop clear procedures that have to stick in people’s minds.
Check out the most exciting features that are included in this software:
- Your procedures will be crystal-clear, visual and action-oriented.
- You will be able to use, shorts videos, photos, diagrams, 3D illustrations and more.
- You can use the adapted formats to help your audience understand more technical concepts.
- The procedures shown will illustrate the steps that have to be taken before starting an action.
- You will be able to create user manuals to help your audience make fewer errors.
These are the five tools that we picked for creating step-by-step guides and user manuals, and they are all compatible with systems running Windows. Check out their sets of features and decide which one is the best for your needs.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, leave them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re confident in your skills, you can freehand the guides by creating your own template and following your own set of rules. However, you might want to turn to specialized software tools, as they can help you get things done in no time.
We agreed that StepShot is simply the best software solution to create step-by-step tutorials and instruction presentations. However, you can achieve fantastic results with other tools available on our list, as well.
Yes, most of the tools we’ve included on our list have multimedia support. So not only will you be able to include pictures, but also animated GIFs, or even short videos, as well.