Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Collaboration is key in today’s business environment where remote work gains more traction every year
- Microsoft Teams notifications alerts users about new tasks, mentions and comments related to the tasks they’re working on
- Sometimes, notifications won’t go away and this can slow down your workflow. Use this guide to get rid of this problem or other errors
- This article is part of our larger collection of Microsoft Teams guides
If you find that a Microsoft Teamswon’t go away no matter what you try, you have to know you are not the only one experiencing this issue.
A number of people have reported the same issue, on different system setups, and with different versions of the software.
In some cases, users were so frustrated by this problem that they ended up re-installing their Windows 10 systems, just to see that the issue still arises.
Here is what one user had to say about encountering this problem on the Microsoft forums:
I have a notification badge on my Teams desktop application which won’t go away. There are no new messages or items anywhere, it’s just a (1) badge with nothing behind it. I think the issue was caused when a password change caused my teams to log me out while reading a new message. I tried restarting my computer as well as reinstalling teams. The phone app doesn’t display the notification, only desktop, and browser.
We will explore the best ways to deal with this issue and get rid of that annoying empty notification from Microsoft Teams. Read on to find out more.
What to do if Microsoft Teams notifications won’t disappear
1. Reset your Microsoft Teams notifications
- Open up Microsoft Teams and navigate to the Settings.
- Turn off all notifications settings.
- Wait for a few minutes -> turn them back on again.
- If this method didn’t manage to solve your issue, please try the next one.
2. Clean Microsoft Teams caches
For some unknown reason, the cache for your Microsoft Teams app are spread across your hard drive.
Navigate to these locations and delete all files in the folders to clear the cache:
USEFUL GUIDE: How to blur backgrounds in Microsoft Teams
3. Use the Alt+Tab method to close the notification
In the case of some users, pressing the Alt+Tab keys on their keyboard and then clicking the X in the corner of the window managed to close the notification for good.
4. Delete the app and reinstall it
To delete Microsoft Teams:
- Press Win+X keys -> select Apps and features.
- Search for Microsoft Teams in the list -> select it -> press Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to complete.
To reinstall Microsoft Teams:
- Download the latest version of the app.
- Run the installer and complete the process.
5. Change the app settings
- Open Microsoft Teams and navigate to the settings window.
- Disable the option Continue running app.
- Restart the for the changes to take effect.
In today’s guide, we explored the best troubleshooting methods to get rid of the Microsoft Teams empty notification that won’t go away.
We hope the methods we presented here managed to solve your problem. We also have a guide on how to turn off Teams mobile notifications on Desktop, so don’t miss it.
Please feel free to let us know if you found this guide helpful by using the comment section below.
To block Microsoft Teams email notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and disable email notifications.
To turn off Microsoft Teams notifications for specific conversations, simply navigate to the beginning of that conversation, click on More options and then Turn off notifications.
- How do I change the notification sound for Microsoft Teams?
Windows 10 users cannot currently choose what type of sound plays for notifications. This option is available only on Android.
- How do I get notifications for Microsoft Teams chat?
To receive notifications from the Microsoft Teams chats you’re involved in, navigate to your team’s channel, select More Options and then Channel notifications. Now, select chats are the type of activity you want to receive notifications from.