If you find that a Microsoft Teams notification won’t go away no matter what you try, you have to know you are not the only one experiencing this issue.
A number of people have reported the same issue, on different system setups, and with different versions of the software.
In some cases, users were so frustrated by this problem that they ended up re-installing their Windows 10 systems, just to see that the issue still arises.
Here is what one user had to say about encountering this problem on the Microsoft forums:
I have a notification badge on my Teams desktop application which won’t go away. There are no new messages or items anywhere, it’s just a (1) badge with nothing behind it. I think the issue was caused when a password change caused my teams to log me out while reading a new message. I tried restarting my computer as well as reinstalling teams. The phone app doesn’t display the notification, only desktop, and browser.
We will explore the best ways to deal with this issue and get rid of that annoying empty notification from Microsoft Teams. Read on to find out more.
Here’s how to get rid of the Microsoft Teams empty notification
1. Reset your Microsoft Teams notifications
- Open up Microsoft Teams and navigate to the Settings.
- Turn off all notifications settings.
- Wait for a few minutes -> turn them back on again.
- If this method didn’t manage to solve your issue, please try the next one.
2. Clean Microsoft Teams caches
Navigate to these locations and delete all files in the folders to clear the caches:
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams->application cache -> cache
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> blob_storage
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> databases
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> cache
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> gpucache
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> Indexeddb
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> Local Storage
- %AppData% -> Microsoft -> teams -> tmp
3. Use the Alt+Tab method to close the notification
4. Delete the app and reinstall it
To delete Microsoft Teams:
- Press Win+X keys -> select Apps and features.
- Search for Microsoft Teams in the list -> select it -> press Uninstall.
- Wait for the process to complete.
To reinstall Microsoft Teams:
- Download the latest version of the app.
- Run the installer and complete the process.
5. Change the app settings
- Open Microsoft Teams and navigate to the settings window.
- Disable the option Continue running app.
- Restart the app for the changes to take effect.
In today’s guide, we explored the best troubleshooting methods to get rid of the Microsoft Teams empty notification that won’t go away.
We hope the methods we presented here managed to solve your problem.
Please feel free to let us know if you found this guide helpful by using the comment section below.
- Seeing the error code 4c7 in Microsoft Teams? Fix it
- Fix Microsoft teams an error has occurred in the script on this page
- How to fix Microsoft Teams error file is locked in Windows PC