Your hardware relies on drivers in order to work properly, and if your drivers are outdated you can experience certain problems. These problems can be fixed by installing new drivers, but users reported few problems while installing new drivers.
They are getting The best driver software is already installed error, and today we’re going to show you how to fix this problem on Windows 10.
How can I fix The best driver software is already installed error?
You can install drivers on your PC on several different ways. Many users download the driver setup file and run it in order to install drivers. Another way to install drivers is to visit Device Manager.
Once you open Device Manager, find your device and choose Update Driver option. By choosing this option Windows 10 will search for the best driver for your device and install it.
This method has its flaws, and sometimes it might not download the latest driver for your device, so it’s usually better to download your driver and install it manually.
Many users tend to download and install only the necessary driver files on their PC. Driver software is great, but sometimes it’s unnecessary and this is why users tend to install only the most basic drivers.
To do that, you need to download the driver and extract it to your PC. However, Windows comes with a built-in functionality that will prevent you from installing the driver that is older than a currently installed one.
This can be a problem if you want to install an older version of the driver, but there’s a way to fix that.
Keeping your drivers up to date is quite important, but many users reported The best driver software is already installed message. Speaking of driver issues, here are some of the problems that users reported:
- The best driver for your device is already installed Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 – This error can appear on Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. If you encounter this issue, you should be able to fix it by using our solutions.
- Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed – This is just a variation of the original error, and if you encounter it, simply download the latest drivers from your manufacturer.
- Force install driver Windows 10 – Windows 10 has a new security feature called Driver signing. This feature is designed to prevent certain unauthorized drivers from installing. This can be a major issue, but you can fix it by disabling this feature.
- Installing old drivers in Windows 10 – If you keep getting this error message, you might not be able to install older drivers. If that’s so, remove the driver and try to install it again. In addition, you can try downloading the driver files and installing the drivers manually.
Before starting this guide, we would like to recommend you this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 1 – Install the drivers manually
You can avoid The best driver software is already installed message simply by installing the required driver manually. To do this, you need to download the driver and extract it to any folder on your PC.
Keep in mind that not all drivers can be installed manually, and if you driver comes only with a setup file, this method won’t work for you. To install the driver manually, you need to do the following:
- Open Device Manager. To do that, press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. When Win + X menu opens, select Device Manager from the list.
- Device Manager will now appear. Locate the device that you want to update. Right-click the device and choose Update driver.
- Select the Browse my computer for driver software option. This option will allow you to install the driver software manually.
- Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option.
- Click the Have Disk button.
- Install from Disk window will now appear. Click the Browse button and locate the driver on your hard drive. After you select the driver, click the OK button.
- After doing that, the driver will be automatically installed to your PC.
Solution 2 – Remove the driver
If you already have a non-default driver installed, you can fix the problem simply by uninstalling the installed driver. This is a simple procedure, and in order to do it, you need to follow these steps:
- Open Device Manager.
- When Device Manager opens, locate the driver that you want to remove. Right-click the device and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- If available, check Delete the driver software for this device. Click Uninstall to confirm.
- Wait for the driver removal process to finish.
- After the driver is removed, restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, the default driver will be installed. Now try to install the driver again and check if the problem is resolved.
Update drivers automatically (suggested)
After you have uninstalled your drivers, we recommend to reinstall/update them automatically. Downloading and installing drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of getting the wrong driver installed, which may lead to serious malfunctions of your system.
The safer and easier way to update drivers on a Windows computer is by using an automatic tool. We strongly recommend TweakBit Driver Updater.
It automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database.
Drivers can then be updated in batches or one at a time, without requiring the user to make any complex decisions in the process. Here is how it works:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 3 – Download the driver from the manufacturer
According to users, The best driver software is already installed message can appear while trying to update your drivers from the Device Manager. Even though Device Manager is an incredibly useful tool, it won’t always download the best driver for you.
On the other hand, you can always download the driver right from your hardware manufacturer and install it on your own. These kinds of drivers usually come with a setup file, so they will overwrite the drivers from Device Manager.
Although you can install almost any driver using this method, it’s worth mentioning that this is an advanced solution. To install the driver manually, you’ll need to know the model of the device you’re trying to update in order to find the appropriate driver.
This can sometimes be hard especially if you’re a novice user or if you’re trying to install a driver for an obscure old hardware.
Even though this method has its flaws, it will allow you to install the desired drivers without any problems or error messages for the most part.
Solution 4 – Install the latest updates
Windows 10 also distributes drivers with their system updates, and if you can’t install certain driver due to The best driver software is already installed message, be sure to update your Windows and check if that helps.
By default, Windows 10 installs the necessary updates on its own, but sometimes you might miss an update or two due to certain glitches. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now navigate to Update & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button.
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded automatically in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, they will be installed once your restart your PC.
After your system is up to date, your drivers should be updated as well, and the issue will be resolved.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
Solution 5 – Try installing the driver from Safe Mode
If you keep getting The best driver software is already installed message, you might be able to solve the problem simply by installing the desired driver from Safe Mode.
In case you’re not familiar, Safe Mode uses the default drivers, and it’s perfect for troubleshooting. To access Safe Mode, simply do the following:
- Open the Start Menu and click the Power button. Press and hold the Shift key and choose Restart from the menu.
- Now choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- List of options will now appear. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing number 5 or F5 key on your keyboard.
Once you enter Safe Mode, feel free to try all of our solutions and check if that solves the problem.
Solution 6 – Disable Driver signature feature
Microsoft has introduced several security features in order to make Windows 10 more secure, and one of these features is Driver signature.
Basically, this feature allows you to install only drivers that are signed and approved by Microsoft. While this feature is useful, sometimes it can interfere with your system and prevent you from installing certain drivers.
However, you can disable Driver signing feature by doing the following:
- Repeat Step 1 from the previous solution.
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Now press 7 or F7 to select Disable driver signature enforcement option.
After doing that, you should be able to install any driver that you want on your PC. Keep in mind that Driver signature feature will be enabled only for the current session. Once you restart or turn off this PC, this feature will enable itself automatically.
If you need additional info on how to disable driver signature enforcement on Window 10, check out this dedicated guide to find out everything about it.
The best driver software is already installed is an annoying error message, but you can easily fix it by installing the driver manually. If that doesn’t work, try to uninstall the current driver and install the desired driver again.
If you have any other questions, leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
FAQ: Learn more about driver issues
- How do I install drivers on Windows 10?
If you can’t install drivers on Windows 10, check out our quick fix guide to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, use the DISM tool, perform an SFC scan, clean boot your PC, and ultimately reset your system.
- How do I force a device to use a driver?
Firstly, make sure you have already downloaded the custom drivers to your Windows PC. Secondly, use Device Manager to navigate to the device, select “Update driver” from the right-click menu, pick “Browse my computer for driver software”, and choose your custom driver. Follow the on-screen instructions and restart your PC.
- What is the best driver software?
If you’re looking for the best driver update tools that automatically find, download and install the correct drivers for your Windows PC, we suggest getting started with DriverPack Solution, Free Driver Scout, and TweakBit Driver Updater.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.