The Hunter: Call of the Wild is the latest addition to a small but an interesting niche of hunting games. The game brings a variety of features with its immersive nature and vivid graphics. Because of that, it has received critical acclaim.
Even though the game is well optimized, some users report certain issues. Some of them encounter start-up failures while others who managed to start the game experience in-game crashes. Luckily, we have a few solutions up our sleeves for both problems. So, in case you’ve had a hard time with your hunting adventure, follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issues.
Fix: The Hunter: Call of the Wild won’t start
The Hunter: Call Of The Wild is a great game, but many users reported that it won’t start on their PC. This can be a big problem, and speaking of issues, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- The Hunter Call Of The Wild has stopped working – According to users, sometimes you might encounter a message saying that the game has stopped working. This can occur due to missing Visual C++ and DirectX components, so be sure to install them.
- The Hunter Call Of The Wild crash on launch – This problem can occur if a third-party application is interfering with the game. Usually, the cause is your antivirus, so be sure to disable/remove it and check if that helps.
- The Hunter Call Of The Wild black screen – This issue can occur due to your drivers, and if you have this problem, update your drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
Sometimes certain applications can’t start on your PC due to your antivirus. If The Hunter: Call of The Wild won’t start on your PC, be sure to check your antivirus software. You can fix the issue simply by adding the game to the exclusions list or by disabling certain antivirus features.
However, in some cases that might not be enough, so you’ll need to disable your antivirus and check if that solves the problem. If the issue is still there, your next step would be to completely disable your antivirus.
If that doesn’t work, you might have to completely remove your antivirus. If removing the antivirus solves the problem, your next step would be to switch to a different antivirus software. If you want maximum protection that won’t interfere with your gaming sessions, we strongly suggest trying Bitdefender.
This tool offers the best protection on the market, and thanks to the Gaming Mode feature it won’t interfere with your games in any way.
Solution 2 – Update your GPU drivers
If The Hunter: Call of the Wild won’t launch on your PC, the issue might be your drivers. The most common cause for issues are your graphics card drivers, and if you want to run the game without any major problems, we suggest that you download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.
There are several ways to update your drivers, but the best is to download them directly from the manufacturer. To do so, first you need to find out the model of your graphics card and then download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website. Depending on your model, you can download the latest driver from the following websites:
Once your driver is up to date, you should be able to run the game without any issues. If you don’t want to download the drivers manually, you can always download them automatically using a third-party tool.
TweakBit Driver Updater is a simple tool that can automatically update all your drivers with just a single click, so if you don’t want to search and download the drivers manually, be sure to try this tool.
Note: some functions of this tool may not be free
Solution 3 – Check for additional Windows software
Besides essential GPU drivers, you’ll need a good stack of additional software to play the game. The game installer should cover those after the process of standard installation is done. However, sometimes they are skipped or unintentionally removed. Because of that, you’ll have to download and install redistributables manually depending on your system.
You can usually download the necessary components online, but sometimes the necessary components might be right in the game’s installation directory. Be sure to look for vcredist or DirectX directories and run the setup files inside them.
Once you install the necessary components, the issue should be completely resolved. Several users reported that you can fix the issue by uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 and reinstalling it, so be sure to try that as well.
Solution 4 – Verify the game integrity with Steam
If The Hunter: Call Of The Wild won’t start on your PC, the issue might be the game’s integrity. Sometimes certain files can get corrupted or damaged making your game unable to run. However, you can fix the problem by verifying the integrity of the game files.
By doing so, you’ll download and replace the corrupted files. To verify the integrity, you just need to do the following:
- Open your Steam desktop app.
- Click Library tab.
- Right-click The Hunter: Call of the Wild and open Properties.
- Open Local Files tab. Click Verify integrity of game files.
- Once the procedure is finished, restart your PC.
- Start the game.
Solution 5 – Enable Screen space reflection
Screen Space Reflection is an effect that alters the appearance of objects on the surface of Materials within the Unreal engine. While this effect should be enabled by default, maybe you’ve disabled it unknowingly as some users report that game crashes disappear after they enable it again. So, try it out. You can either enable it within the in-game settings or change values in the Saves folder:
- Navigate to Documents > Avalanche Studios > theHunter Call of the Wild > Saves > settings > :Your Steam ID:
- Open settings.json with Notepad.
- Set ”GraphicsSSReflection” from 0 to 1.
- Save changes and start the game.
Solution 6 – Install Media Feature Pack
According to users, sometimes The Hunter: Call Of The Wild won’t launch if you don’t have Windows Media Player installed. If you’re in Europe or in Korea, you most likely have a KN or N version of Windows 10. This version doesn’t have Windows Media Player and some other media components which can lead to this and many other errors.
In order to boost your game performance and get rid of slowdowns, lags, low FPS and other annoying issues, we recommend downloading Game Fire (free).
To fix the problem, you just need to download Media Feature Pack manually. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to Microsoft’s website to download Media Feature Pack.
- When the page opens, click the Download button.
- Now choose the version that matches your system architecture and download it.
- Once the file is downloaded, run it to install Media Feature Pack.
After installing Media Feature Pack, you’ll install Windows Media Player and the necessary multimedia components and the game should start working again.
Solution 7 – Make sure that you’re using a dedicated graphics card
Some PCs have both dedicated and integrated graphics, and sometimes that can lead to issues. Users reported that The Hunter: Call Of The Wild won’t launch if you’re using your integrated graphics. To fix this issue, it’s advised to check your graphics card control panel and set your dedicated graphics as the default one.
Solution 8 – Disable Steam Cloud Synchronization
In some rare cases, you might not be able to start The Hunter: Call Of The Wild due to problems with synchronization. However, you can turn this feature off from Steam by doing the following:
- Open Steam and locate The Hunter: Call Of The Wild in your library. Right-click the game and choose Properties from the menu.
- Go to Updates tab and uncheck Steam Cloud Synchronization.
- After saving the changes, try to start the game again.
If this solution works, your saved games won’t be synced with Steam servers anymore, so be sure to manually back up your saved games, just in case.
Solution 9 – Reinstall the game
If none of the workarounds work out, you’ll be forced to reinstall. We are aware that the digital copies and reinstallation are not going well together since you have to download the game again and that can take some time. But, if PETA hackers aren’t killing your bandwidth, you’ll eventually get there. So, without further ado, here are the instructions for maximum results.
- Open Steam client.
- Choose Library.
- Right-click The Hunter: Call of the Wild and choose Uninstall.
- After the process is done, delete all remaining files and folders in the game installation directory.
- Install the game again from Steam and check if the problem is resolved.
We certainly hope you found the proper solution to your problem on this article. Moreover, we can expect future patches that should resolve advanced errors and optimize the game even more. In case you have any questions or alternative troubleshooting methods, please share them with our readers in the comments section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Ghost Recon Wildlands lags, stutters, disconnects [FIX]
- Watch early Middle-Earth: Shadow of War gameplay
- Round-up: No Man’s Sky The Path Finder Update reported bugs