- The Sims is one of EA's most popular franchises, with millions of players worldwide logging in on a daily basis.
- Unfortunately many users have reported that they are unable to change the game language on a variety of platforms. If you want to change the language of The Sims 4 on Windows 10, check out our guide below.
- We've covered various topics related to The Sims 4 in the past. From fixes to news, they are all available on our dedicated Sims 4 page.
- The gaming hub is the place to be for more quality gaming content. Make sure you bookmark the page so you won't miss out on our new articles.
Changing languages in The Sims 4 is not as easy as it may first seem. In this article, we’ll explain to you how to change the game language, and list the elements that condition this process.
Here’s what one user is saying:
How can I change The Sims 4’s language?
1. Change the language in the Origin launcher
First of all, you should know that it depends on where you bought the game from. As a quick reminder, not all The Sims 4 versions include all languages.
You can check this information on the Sims 4 entry on your local store page. Now, if there are indeed multiple languages listed, but you cannot find yours, close the game and then uninstall it in your Origin Client.
Now, change the Origin Client’s language setting to your desired language, and restart your Origin Client. After the restart, install the game again and it should now be in your desired language.
Once again, this workaround is valid for the case where this language was available on the store page.
2. Change The Sims 4 language from the Windows registry editor
Other users have confirmed that the following workaround does the trick:
- Go to Start > type run > launch Regedit.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMaxisThe Sims 4.
- Change the Locale value to the desired language. For example, add pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese.
However, keep in mind that this solution doesn’t work for all players.
3. Change the game config file
If you don’t like editing the Registry, you can tweak the RIdOrigina.ini file. Navigate to the folder where you installed your The Sims 4 to, and then open the GameBinRldOrigin.ini with Notepad.
Locate the line “Language“, and you should see a semicolon at the beginning of the line.
Simply remove the semicolon to activate the language of your choice. You can also change the language by using the following codes:
cs_CZ = Czech
da_DK = Danish
de_DE = German
en_US = US English
es_ES = Spanish (Spain)
fi_FI = Finnish
fr_FR = French (France)
it_IT = Italian
ja_JP = Japanese
nl_NL = Dutch
pl_PL = Polish
pt_BR = Portuguese (Brazil)
ru_RU = Russian
sv_SE = Swedish
zh_TW= Chinese (Traditional)
Save the file, launch the game and that’s all. For the particular case that you can’t get to the folder or you encounter any file explorer issues, we’ve prepared this complete guide to getting you past any problems.
If you don’t like Notepad or you’re looking for an alternative, check out this list of note-taking apps and choose one that’s right for you.
It’s worth mentioning that in CIS countries, The Sims 4 is only available in Russian and Polish. This means that gamers can’t change the game language.
4. Change the language on consoles
- Go to Settings > System Settings > Console Settings
- Find Language and Locale > Language
- Select your desired language
- Go to Settings > Language
- Under System Language, select your desired language
It’s worth pointing out that not all games will change their language depending on the system language.
If you’re aware of another solution to the problem, please share it with us in the comments section below. Also, leave there any other questions you may have and we’ll be sure to take a look.
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on which platform you are using, there are a few ways to change the language in Sims 4 by changing the game’s config files.
As shown above, it only takes a few seconds to change the language in Sims 4 on Xbox One.
Changing the language in Sims 4 on the PlayStation is much easier than on the Xbox. Just follow the steps above and you’ll have it sorted in no time.